Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Still waiting (impatiently) for the update. I blew my software check yesterday morning at 10 AM. Today it goes off and checks, thinks for a little bit, and still comes back as up-to-date as of 10 AM yesterday. I’m choosing to believe this means they are deliberating my worthiness and will roll it out to me momentarily. 😆
From EM's tweet last night, I bet the next big dump won't happen until 11.3.4
In which the people already on 11.3.3 will probably get it first, then us losers stuck on 69.

• Funny
Reactions: Pdubs
Every single time I have disengaged AP or FSD, it has been because of invalid routing/decision making….not because it couldn’t “see”.

Can I just take a moment to rant.

This is the update I'm most waiting for atm. More than Fsd, more than games, more than hw4, more than cybertruck. Tesla is a software company and while most GPS navigation systems are fine for backseat driving, they are inadequate when the navigation controls where your car goes. When it goes from backseat navigator too primary navigator.

I want the ability to lock in a route, so when I navigate off a secondary chosen route it doesn't default back to the unselected primary route. It's so sensitive here that going in the 'wrong' direction in a parking lot is often times enough to kick it from a secondary route back to the primary route.

Next, we have this big freaking touch screen and gaming computer performance. I want the ability to not only change which route for a particular drive is considered a primary route and save that change, but also the ability to edit routes. Hit an edit button, insert one node anywhere in the route to break it, drag my finger to draw a new route to reconnect with the original route at some point, maybe even at the destination at the end. Save it as primary. And get a warning when map data updates causing changes in the route which may require me to edit it.

An ability to blacklist certain areas and segments of road. Particularly important for construction, tourist and hazard laden cities.

Finally, optional friend Id-ing for other teslas on the road. If they are on fsd or not, show up as teslas in the visualizations, and show their speed and positions along my route. Bonus point for some waze esque information sharing, including photos of road conditions.

I know, we are more likely to get the roadster to release than this nav overhaul but let me dream.

I want the ability to lock in a route, so when I navigate off a secondary chosen route it doesn't default back to the unselected primary route. It's so sensitive here that going in the 'wrong' direction in a parking lot is often times enough to kick it from a secondary route back to the primary route.
Yes, this is a real pain.

Catching up on all the initial 11.3.3 impressions from Sunday. Thanks for all the details! 🎉

Sounds like 11.3.x is a great update quite a bit better than 10.x in multiple aspects. With a 35% randomized rollout, neither of our vehicles getting the update is actually less probable ~40%, but hopefully we won't have to wait much longer to experience these improvements.

Whoo hoo, I made the cherry pick cut. :)

Also should this thread be unstickied soon? We need another thread to look forward to and muse about.. V12 maybe?
It somewhat seems like FSD Beta 11.x will become the Perpetual Roundtable as 11's single stack is quite a major neural network architectural milestone that other additional improvements like replacing more legacy neural networks with surround video ones could come as 11.4 and maybe even continue through 11.69+ as additional features built on FSD Beta stack are added like parking lots and smart summon.

For reference, FSD Beta 9 introduced Tesla Vision (radar removal) with front camera video to predict lead vehicle kinematics while 10 expanded that architecture to all cameras to predict complex intersections and high-speed cross traffic. Also as part of 10.x to avoid bumping the version to 11, the neural network architecture added Vector Lanes with transformers for language modeling of intersections as well as Occupancy Network to avoid arbitrary objects. And this doesn't even start to cover many other FSD Beta performance improvements for Trajectory and more let alone the many relatively smaller changes to all of these networks.

So because there has been so much special emphasis on getting FSD Beta up to 11, the next major step for FSD might not be "FSD Beta" anymore.

One of my favorite pass times is reading these threads when a new update is released. It always begins with a .0, which is internal. Then .1 goes out to a few select testers, and the clamoring commences. By the time .2 is released, there's anger, jealousy, and that's usually when the Faustian bargaining begins. The cloud of fur and feathers hits the peak when .3 is released, and the dust begins to settle. Both sides are at DEFCON 2, "this update is utter crap!" and "what are you talking about?! This update is amazing!" I just enjoy some popcorn and smile, while waiting patiently for the final update to hit my car. ;)
We can't draw any conclusions until the big O'Dowd tells us the truth. :)

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I really don't like this "exiting rightmost lane" behavior on the highway, it causes the car to enter the leftmost passing lane and folks will angrily undertake you
Is this an issue more because FSD Beta is lazy in exiting the passing lane after doing this maneuver especially if it turns out there was actually no merging traffic from the right? The switching left also quite robotic in that it seems like it suddenly turns on the turn signal a fixed distance away from the upcoming intersection/onramp whereas other FSD Beta lane changes knows it should get ready to lane change but only signals when there's space to complete the maneuver.

One of my favorite pass times is reading these threads when a new update is released. It always begins with a .0, which is internal. Then .1 goes out to a few select testers, and the clamoring commences. By the time .2 is released, there's anger, jealousy, and that's usually when the Faustian bargaining begins. The cloud of fur and feathers hits the peak when .3 is released, and the dust begins to settle. Both sides are at DEFCON 2, "this update is utter crap!" and "what are you talking about?! This update is amazing!" I just enjoy some popcorn and smile, while waiting patiently for the final update to hit my car. ;)
Yup - you’ve pretty much nailed it!

I’m like you - I know I’ll never get the early versions and frankly I don’t want them. I’d rather wait and get the version that’s been more thoroughly debugged.

I also know that I’ll get it when I get it. There’s been nothing in the past year that’s suddenly changed my life. (Well, with FSD, at least,) and nothing in the next release will change my life, either. I enjoy testing it, seeing the progress, figuring out what it might be ‘thinking,’ etc., but there’s no sense getting worked up about it.

Reactions: JohnB007 and Dewg
I received the update this morning but haven't tried it out yet. Looking forward to the interstate improvements as I'm driving the family to NOLA this coming weekend. I've never really had a problem with interstate driving besides phantom braking.

I really don't like this "exiting rightmost lane" behavior on the highway
I thought the same thing at first but have grown to appreciate it. A lot of drivers pull out into the right lane with no regard for approaching traffic. Tesla should be able to use the rear camera to move the vehicle to the right lane if a vehicle is approaching at a higher rate of speed from the rear.

Do others without USS have the update yet?
I don't think I've seen any personal reports here of 11.3.x on vehicles without Ultrasonic Sensors, but there have been multiple saying they haven't received it yet.

TeslaFi is currently showing 5x 2023 Model Ys that have received 11.3.x (coming from 10.x, but no 2023 Model 3s yet), and theoretically they don't have the sensors. Presumably this FSD Beta version adds Park Assist to these vehicles too, and it should be pretty obvious and notable, so odd nobody has reported that yet.

11.3.3.... there is definitely phantom breaking...
tested today in city... middle lane.. and there are two car on both side.. first at the signal... once green, it started and cars on both sides picked faster than MY did, and it did a hard stop to honks!!! on green!!! did it twice on two consecutive signals...

otherwise changing city lanes, decceleration and taking round about exits is better for sure.

One of the new behaviors I have found helpful is the change in how the car "creeps" forward. Previously, I was often unsure whether the creep movement was just to creep or was it actually going to move thru the intersection. Sometimes this led to disengagements or use of the accelerator. Not sure how to describe it but creep is now more of a slow roll forward where I can tell when the car was actually going to go. More like a human driver.
Anyone else notice this?

UPL turns are no better than before. They need a lot of work.
And could someone tell other drivers to stop waving me on since FSD is clueless :) I think this flashing sign would work.

Just Go.png

Last edited:
Woke up to still no update. Guess they’re only giving it out to the least deserving first.
Yup, looks like it ... went down to FL for the weekend, arrived back after midnight (thanks American Airlines, for the four hour delay ...) and the update was waiting. Alas I'm up in MA now until Friday so won't be able to play with it until I get back. It'll probably be superseded by then ;)

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I was on the factory firmware (2022.44.100) with a USS-less M3P and decided not to renew my FSD subscription, since there's no way of knowing whether I'd get the beta within the next month. As soon as the subscription expired, I was updated to 2023.2.12. I wonder if cars on the 2022.X firmware will ever be eligible for the beta - especially since features like autopark appear to only be available to USS-less cars on the 2023 branch.

I believe the majority of the fleet (60% or so) is also now on 2023.X - has there been any word official or otherwise as to when FSD beta will be available in a 2023.X build?