Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Took FSD out for some NOA-replacement driving. Drove about 65 miles on rural two lane highways north to the Dennison, TX supercharger, then back using US75 and Bush turnpike limited access highways.

The trip up was fantastic. Zero disengagements and two minor application of accelerator. FSD beta still has difficulty with flashing yellow lights strung above the road when there are four lights arranged in a square pattern with opposite corners flashing in an alternating manner. Second accelerator press was at a strange traffic circle that FSDb wanted to stop despite having the right of way.

One the trip back, I had two disengagements. One was in a construction zone where the highway was diverted to the frontage road. When the road went to curve back to the real highway, FSD wanted to stay on the frontage road. The second disengagement was at the US75/Bush turnpike interchange where FSDb screwed up and got in the wrong exit lane. Second time in a row for this error. At least it's consistent.

Despite heavy traffic on US75, FSDb did exceptionally well. Lane changes were good and it frequently moved out of the passing lane when there was a car behind me and when traffic to the right was flowing close to my set speed. And, since today seemed to be 'National cut off a Tesla' day, FSD had plenty of practice dealing with people jumping into its lane with no warning and very little gap, including the guy who moved into the fast lane and proceeded to drive at 50 mph in a 65 mph zone. Thanks for the test case, brother!

Dumb FSD mistake of the day: FSDb turned left leaving the supercharger when the nav clearly indicated a right turn. You'd think that Tesla would get entry/exit routes from their superchargers correct?

Don't install any updates until an FSD release comes out with a base date above yours, eg a 2023.x FSD release. Then subscribe and wait for them to download that version before installing.

That makes sense. I almost forgot that I can simply choose not to install updates. I'll do this unless there is something overwhelmingly compelling in an update that I can't live without in the hopes that FSDb catches up to where I am now. Is that how it worked for 10.X for a while?

Thanks for the tip.

I don't think I've seen 11.3.4 do the random blinker thing. Yet.

However on freeways it does change lanes way too much unless I change the setting. For each drive, arrrgh. Until I do opt for minimum land changes, I have canceled with the turn signal lever, but to other drivers it looks like I'm still a blinker-twit.
What setting (chill/Avg/Assertive) were you using which might help understand why FSD wanted to change lanes so much on the highway? I'm not sure how much of a correlation there is but others might know.

What setting (chill/Avg/Assertive) were you using which might help understand why FSD wanted to change lanes so much on the highway? I'm not sure how much of a correlation there is but others might know.
I am assertive... took a 60 mile drive... better than NOA, changing lanes, slowing, accelerating, etc. Even getting on and off was better. However, it did for the 1st time get a phantom brake from 80 to 72... no cars anywhere around me going over an overpass. That has never happened on NOA, with radar, and after it was turned off by Tesla.
Otherwise, the nags are way less frequent and much better on highways.
Will chime in on city driving after more time using it.

My experience was much better than my just completed 1200 mile trip from LA to Seattle.

A 40 mile round trip in the rain yielded very few of flaws that were constant during the long drive. The systme exited highways correctly and without coaxing. I like the request for audio feedback when I did disengage the system. The first two times I was so surprised I didn’t react.

Any suggestions on how I should report this to Tesla?
11.3.4 overpass brake.jpg

Normally I would just hold the accelerator, so it doesn't even drop under the speed limit, but now with 11.x's voice drive-notes, maybe I shouldn't just do that?

In my cases, I think a couple times it would continue into the shoulder. Most often, it would "merge" at the very last second but only because the right lane line forces the car to the left. I would usually disengage since it looked like the car was not merging in time. For me that is a fail. Merging is not waiting until you are literally a few feet from the end of the merge lane and then jerking the car to the left.
I usually signal left to make sure it merges.

Not a lot of experience with it yet, but I so far I tend to set it to chill or avg, and set it to minimize lane changes as soon as I notice it doing inappropriate lane changes. I wish the minimize setting would persist, as I've yet to appreciate it's default lane change decisions. On the old version, I set it to require confirmation, and basically watched what was going on and chose lanes as I saw fit. I was supervising its driving, so speed setting and lane choice were my way of managing the driving.

Here in the SF Bay Area, conditions change often, and we are used to adjusting frequently to deal with it. (My favorite sign is the one with directs us to I80 east to Sacramento which is exactly the same road as I580 west toward Berkeley. How sweet it is tote driving east and west at the same time, heading toward Berkely and Sacramento. Ah, the irony!)

On a longer intestate drive, the new setting may be fine. but here every few minutes is a new environment.

What is really new is the vibrate notification of lane changes. Sometimes I have not been sure why it vibe'd me, but I think it is a nice cue that something is up.

The big improvement from 10.69 to 11.3.4 was it no longer hard brakes too far before the first stop sign when leaving our neighborhood. It no longer does that. The next stop sign, however, has a little "Oncoming Traffic Does Not Stop" sign, which the car does not understand yet. Nor does it understand the unmarked lanes right after that, so it straddles and blocks the free right turn lane. A real honk score detriment. Generally, avoiding getting honked at is the reason for most of my interventions. These would probably not technically degrade driving safety, but here in Oakland they might get one shot at. 😉joking, but true...

Note to Elon, as a marketing issue, FSD would do well not to algorithmically piss off other drivers. There are a lot of us Teslas out here, and those other drivers do see us, even if they don't always honk at us...

What is really new is the vibrate notification of lane changes
I've set FSD Beta 11.3.4 to both chime and vibrate, and from some initial testing, it seems like does the notification when it wants to make a lane change but not for forks. So along with the more visible upcoming maneuvers text blurb at the top, it's easier to prepare to cancel unnecessary lane changes while ignoring unnecessary turn signals (unless it's a situation that would confuse others).

Before with 10.x, the audible cue would only be the turn signal without much time to look at the bottom of the screen to decide if the car is going to actually want to change lanes.

Is that about how much people say in their voice notes in some cases? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I was also wondering how I should disengage, e.g., additionally braking on top of the unnecessary braking, as interventions like accelerator override don't trigger the option to record.
Put your foot on the accelerator and disengage the system with the stalk or yoke. When prompted for the reason say "phantom braking". Then reengage the system.

Had exactly same issue last week. Rebooted to try and get FSD to download. Took forever for it to reboot, and when it came back, lost everything. Fill factory reset. I found a video by Tesla Joy where she had same thing and how to fix. Short answer is you have to redo your profile, then I had to drive awhile to get a GPS lock, recalibrate cameras, and allow NOA to be selectable. But FSD was still missing. Took one more reboot for FSD to come back. Was scary!

Her is the video that helped. I did not follow it exactly but it got me back in business.

Thanks, this sure looks like what happened to me.

Already went down and doing a Service Mode Reinstall before I read this(and watched video). Kinda down on Tesla right now with little prospects of getting 11.3.x anytime soon. So not much incentive to go on TMC but glad I did.

I spent almost 2 hours last night setting up EVERYTHING. Of course a lot of what is lost ether can't be replaced (like day one Trip setup for Lifetime) or will take a long time to get back (like Favorites).

Seems to stay in Service Mode and has been 45 minutes. So about to head down and take a look. Wish me luck and not bad luck since I had enough of that yesterday. 😢

IMG_2658.jpeg

Reactions: geekfam
It feels really weird running the most current version on my car. I'm so used to reading about everyone else's experience with something I don't have, of the long speculation about when everyone will get something they are sort of rolling out in fits and starts.