Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
You don't have all the weird stop/starts on highways/freeways? I wonder if it's location based - like people in SoCal having a better experience with Tesla AP/FSD Beta?
There are roads that are not yet in the system. Not sure how that works or why they chose whatever math is being used there. I spend most of my time not on a highway, so I may not be the best to advise on that situation. I think I encountered that once(where it disconnects on an odd highway) because that stretch was not mapped, or whatever.

I also find the RivianForums generally “happier” than TMC. Different crowd, with a higher percentage of happy enthusiasts than TMC. More civil members, as well.

There are ....................................................................................................................
I also find the Rivian Forums generally “happier” than TMC. Different crowd, with a higher percentage of happy enthusiasts than TMC. More civil members, as well.
That's good to hear...but...give it time.
They may still be in the stage where they wave to each other on the road 👋😁 .

That's good to hear...but...give it time.
They may still be in the stage where they wave to each other on the road 👋😁 .
Sure, early days…. Just like the service you get at the SC. Rivian rolls out the red carpet, like Tesla once did. For now, I will enjoy it; ‘cause I’m not so much enjoying the Tesla experience - ten years in…

There are roads that are not yet in the system. Not sure how that works or why they chose whatever math is being used there. I spend most of my time not on a highway, so I may not be the best to advise on that situation. I think I encountered that once(where it disconnects on an odd highway) because that stretch was not mapped, or whatever.

I also find the RivianForums generally “happier” than TMC. Different crowd, with a higher percentage of happy enthusiasts than TMC. More civil members, as well.
The **** you mean more civil?!

😂

I received the Rivian last October, and often walk past the MS Plaid when needing to go somewhere. If I was forced down to one vehicle, it would likely be the Rivian that stays (more versatile with the bed, tonneau, and gear tunnel).

Re the two autopilots, Telsa is farther ahead, but I don’t dislike the Rivian system. Like Telsa in the early days, it’s always improving. I do have less “anxiety” using the Rivian system, vs FSD(j) on the highway.

If you need a truck, I would recommend the R1T over the Lightning and the R1S over the Model X, for a full size SUV.
I have been holding out for the Cyber Truck. I will tow a lot when the pick up comes in. My son is considering the Rivian right now. I on the other hand walk by both of my diesel pickups and use my MS as a pick up a majority of the time. You would be surprised how much an MS can haul, just don't scratch it. I also used the X for towing and it did well so I have confidence in the Cyber truck will tow with a respectable mileage drop unlike the Ford F-150.

Weird route choice... it's ~25 minutes long and almost 20 minutes of it is just the car driving straight in a single lane on the highway....

Didn't see anything especially noteworthy in the other 5 or 6 minutes of driving, did anyone else?
Noteworthy: Went up to a stop sign, stopped, then went through. About as fast as a human would do it. 11.3.X takes much longer.

Also: Don't know how it picked up on it, but on that long drive on the freeway the car stayed out of the Express Lane, even though there was a dashed line between the lane the car was in and the Express Lane and the set speed was much faster than the car was actually travelling. Maybe you all have seen that behavior, but I haven't.

Reactions: KrazinAz
Noteworthy: Went up to a stop sign, stopped, then went through. About as fast as a human would do it. 11.3.X takes much longer.

Also: Don't know how it picked up on it, but on that long drive on the freeway the car stayed out of the Express Lane, even though there was a dashed line between the lane the car was in and the Express Lane and the set speed was much faster than the car was actually travelling. Maybe you all have seen that behavior, but I haven't.

Good eye... I agree that seemed faster than usual on the stop sign, though unfortunately I only caught one in the whole video- still definitely will be a thing to look for as others are out... Don't have express lanes here so can't remark on if that's typical behavior or not... I know there's an exclude HOV setting in there someplace and has been forever but no idea how well it works

I have been holding out for the Cyber Truck. I will tow a lot when the pick up comes in. My son is considering the Rivian right now. I on the other hand walk by both of my diesel pickups and use my MS as a pick up a majority of the time. You would be surprised how much an MS can haul, just don't scratch it. I also used the X for towing and it did well so I have confidence in the Cyber truck will tow with a respectable mileage drop unlike the Ford F-150.
Towing shreds the mileage on my Model Y. I’m sure the weight, trailer, and shape of what you’re towing is a huge factor so it would be hard to compare “towing ability” without towing the same exact load with both vehicles in question.

Reactions: jebinc
Seems like a better route would be to have the strikes drop off after a certain amount of time. Getting 5 strikes in a month is different from getting 5 strikes in a year.
True, but 3 (or is it 5) strikes in the last 30 days might make time in the penalty box end with the first of the 3 becomes more that 30 days ago. Of course the penalty could be 30 days regardless. But resetting to zero only after a penalty does seem counter productive. So perhaps bet would be to log the date of each strike, and delete them after maybe 30 days. Then a 30 day penalty would also clear all three.

Probably it is a good thing that Tesla does not let us write the rules....