Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I had my passenger repeater camera go out on me this past weekend. It's gone out before a few times over the last 2 years, but it always came back after a power off (overnight). This time it didn't come back. Service is coming tomorrow to replace it.

But these last few days, not being able to use AP/FSD Beta has really made me appreciate it - I miss it now that I can't use it. :-(

So if I keep pushing off the update 23.12.5 and stay on 2023.6.9 and subscribe to FSD would I have a better chance of getting full FSD beta? If I cannot get the full FSD beta I had rather not subscribe again until I know I will get that. Trying to figure out where the convergence is so I get the full meal deal.
They seem to flag cars for updates in batches. I say this because TeslaFi shows the number pending, which they can know only if that info is in the data for each subscriber's car. And the sum of pending, installing and installed tends to be constant till another batch is flawed.

So, it I'm right about this, when you are not subscribed when they do a batch, you probably won't get it.

FSD beta 11.4.x has not shown up yet on TeslaFi. It probably will show up in small numbers when it is released to more employees. It will be some time, a week or more probably, after that that it is released to us mere mortals. And updates are typically released in a small batch first, then increasing sized batches. So it may be safe to wait to subscribe till after the first "public" release.

The release notes for 11.4.1 call it version 2023.7.5. So in the mean time don't update past 2023.6.x .

Hopefully if I've got something wrong here someone will correct it....

• Helpful
Reactions: Tcmccormick and GSP
Good eye... I agree that seemed faster than usual on the stop sign, though unfortunately I only caught one in the whole video- still definitely will be a thing to look for as others are out... Don't have express lanes here so can't remark on if that's typical behavior or not... I know there's an exclude HOV setting in there someplace and has been forever but no idea how well it works
I'm sometimes adjusting 'use HOV' setting during the trips and it mostly works as expected. If I don't want the car to drive in HOV lane I have to switch it off, otherwise it is trying to enter that lane if there is sees less traffic in it. I access it from navigation / settings and adjust as needed.

I'm sometimes adjusting 'use HOV' setting during the trips and it mostly works as expected. If I don't want the car to drive in HOV lane I have to switch it off, otherwise it is trying to enter that lane if there is sees less traffic in it. I access it from navigation / settings and adjust as needed.

It's kind of amazing that basic stuff like using HOV lane isn't determined by the cabin camera for occupancy in the passenger seats.

Reactions: Ramphex and Mark II
It's kind of amazing that basic stuff like using HOV lane isn't determined by the cabin camera for occupancy in the passenger seats.
I don't disagree that the occupancy can be one input to the decision, but there should still be control by the driver to allow/emphasize or prohibit/demphasize such choices.

Also, is it not still true in California and other states, that the HOV lane can be used by single-occupancy EVs, as a perk to encourage their adoption?

Eligibility for HOV lane use is not always/solely determined by this though....First of all- some places require 3 total people in the vehicle, for other places it's only 2 total people... some allow people by themselves in certain vehicles... other areas allow you to buy solo access to the lane (essentially creating toll lanes you can use "free" if you have others in the vehicle)- the car has no easy way to know any of this.

I don't disagree that the occupancy can be one input to the decision, but there should still be control by the driver to allow/emphasize or prohibit/demphasize such choices.

Also, is it not still true in California and other states, that the HOV lane can be used by single-occupancy EVs, as a perk to encourage their adoption?
HOV laws vary quite a bit. Some states let EVs use them. In Arizona you can use them if you have special plates. In Minneapolis it’s 2 or more people or if you pay with a transponder. In CO they have some HOV lanes for 3 or more people instead of 2.

Or just the seat pressure monitors. It knows when someone is not wearing their seatbelt. We also have express lanes here that change based on time of day, to everyone can use, only 2+, only 3+. Would be awesome if it could figure that out and use the express lanes based on number of people in the car.

Reactions: WilliamG
Eligibility for HOV lane use is not always/solely determined by this though....First of all- some places require 3 total people in the vehicle, for other places it's only 2 total people... some allow people by themselves in certain vehicles... other areas allow you to buy solo access to the lane (essentially creating toll lanes you can use "free" if you have others in the vehicle)- the car has no easy way to know any of this.
Eh? The car has absolutely can know this - the cabin camera. You're telling me the car can't figure this out?

Here's my cabin:

1683848044517.jpeg

Or just the seat pressure monitors. It knows when someone is not wearing their seatbelt. We also have express lanes here that change based on time of day, to everyone can use, only 2+, only 3+. Would be awesome if it could figure that out and use the express lanes based on number of people in the car.
Seat pressure monitors can be tricky, since people sometimes put heavy stuff on seats. You could also do seat pressure PLUS seat belt, but even that isn't guaranteed. Using the cabin camera as per my above post seems to make the most sense to me.

Seat pressure monitors can be tricky, since people sometimes put heavy stuff on seats. You could also do seat pressure PLUS seat belt, but even that isn't guaranteed. Using the cabin camera as per my above post seems to make the most sense to me.
If my dog is riding with me I have to fasten the seat belt so the alarm doesn't keep going off. I don't think the police would consider my dog a qualifying passenger for the HOV lane.

Reactions: Mark II
HOV laws vary quite a bit. Some states let EVs use them. In Arizona you can use them if you have special plates. In Minneapolis it’s 2 or more people or if you pay with a transponder. In CO they have some HOV lanes for 3 or more people instead of 2.
Thanks, so the point stands that the potential camera detection of occupancy is only one factor in a complicated determination of HOV lane usage. And another factor would be the driver's preferences, to the extent that can be set in the UI.

Regarding the special plate in Arizona, that's basically automatic when you buy the Tesla. It may be possible to refuse it, but that would probably complicate things and I don't know why anyone would. I bought the car in calendar year 2021 and received the "Alternative Fuel" plate plus 5 year AZ tags for something like $150 all in. That went up significantly in 2022 and again in 2023, offset of course by the current federal tax rebate program for the majority of M3/MY purchasers.

First video of v11.4.1, watching it now:

Some of the things I picked up on.
Still really late picking exit lanes, the last highway exit it was 200ft from the exit before it got over but had lots of opportunity earlier.
Still has the annoying two flash indicator, then stop, then two flash and stop all the way until it starts to move.
Still got the accelerate slowly (really slowly), brake really hard thing going on.
On the second to last turn, it moves to the right lane, almost missing the left turn lane it needs to be in to turn left.
Most of the highway stuff looks ok, but the traffic was super light. Driving around Austin is never like that.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Thanks, so the point stands that the potential camera detection of occupancy is only one factor in a complicated determination of HOV lane usage. And another factor would be the driver's preferences, to the extent that can be set in the UI.

Regarding the special plate in Arizona, that's basically automatic when you buy the Tesla. It may be possible to refuse it, but that would probably complicate things and I don't know why anyone would. I bought the car in calendar year 2021 and received the "Alternative Fuel" plate plus 5 year AZ tags for something like $150 all in. That went up significantly in 2022 and again in 2023, offset of course by the current federal tax rebate program for the majority of M3/MY purchasers.
According to my brother in law (Phoenix) they only issue a limited number of plates so you may or may not be able to get them. They had a plug-in hybrid so the rules may also be different for those.

But yes, the HOV lane decision isn't as straightforward as one might think. There are times when I don't use it because the traffic in the regular lanes is flowing well and I'd actually be in some people's way because I'm only going 5 over the limit. MN uses them as a combination toll lane/HOV lane with the toll rates varying based on the amount of congestion so you may be able to use them but not wish to.

In other 11.3 news, I've found it to be surprisingly inconsistent. Previous versions were often quite predictable with their failures so that after you had used it for a while you could predict fairly accurately when you'd need to intervene. 11.3 will sometimes dive into a turn lane when it needs to go straight then handle it perfectly the next time. I was driving home from work today, approaching a light at which I needed to turn left. right as it reached the entrance to the left turn lane, FSD turned on the right blinker and tried to switch into the right lane. Maybe because it's Thursday? Monday-Wednesday went just fine.