Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I have a TV that does HD, is that good?
I have HD FM radio, will that work?
I second the fact that 11.3.6 has improved since I first got it. This is not just an “It feels better” analysis. A spot that has always had an awkward lane change through an intersection before a turn has been fixed, even though when I first got 11.3.6 it had not been fixed.
They definitely have an ability to do something without an official update.
There is no way for the installed software to “improve”. Only new firmware version can do that (or 1/improve)…

I second the fact that 11.3.6 has improved since I first got it. This is not just an “It feels better” analysis. A spot that has always had an awkward lane change through an intersection before a turn has been fixed, even though when I first got 11.3.6 it had not been fixed.
They definitely have an ability to do something without an official update.
I see no difference in 11.3.6 over the time I have had it. Situations where it works well have remained well, and those where it makes mistakes, mostly hesitation have been consistent. There are a few places where it sometimes does well and sometimes not. But this has been seemingly random since I got this version.

That said, today, I had two exceptional drives into Dallas at rush hour for dinner and back home post-rush hour. In both cases, only one very minor intervention to apply a little accelerator when the car hesitated too much. On US75 heading south from I635, the car made numerous complex maneuvers in heavy traffic. No lane selection errors on city streets, which was nice.

I had three passengers in the car with me, which was really surprising, because FSDb seems to act out most when it has an audience.

There is no way for the installed software to “improve”. Only new firmware version can do that (or 1/improve)…
Evidence is mounting that the real-time navigation hints download is working, and probably getting better. This is not a firmware update but affects the drive quality.

We see the method, the means and the motive. I'm pretty sure it's happening.

I just wish they would add a UI to let us play with the hints ourselves. While in Park of course :)

Anyone have issues with the auto-wipers being extra sensitive on FSD Beta 11.3.6 (2022.45.15), whether or not you're using FSD?

The wipers will just turn on randomly. Using the sprayers to clean the windshield seems to help trigger the issue.

Kind of unrelated, but since FSD forces you to use auto-wipers, kind of makes FSD pretty annoying to use.
Much to the contrary - auto-wipers were a sore spot for many people previously, but seem to have improved significantly in recent updates to the point we don't hear much about it anymore.

I've noticed a few dedicated right turn lanes, like below, 11.3.6 is starting the turn and then coming to a near stop mid turn (red mark shows where the car starts slowing down), even with a green light, and given the lane is dedicated and not merging for some 100+ feet after the turn. The last two versions handled these intersections/turns properly, without slowing down.

1684215399742.png

Anyone have issues with the auto-wipers being extra sensitive on FSD Beta 11.3.6 (2022.45.15), whether or not you're using FSD?

The wipers will just turn on randomly. Using the sprayers to clean the windshield seems to help trigger the issue.

Kind of unrelated, but since FSD forces you to use auto-wipers, kind of makes FSD pretty annoying to use.
I I use the sprayers every couple of days to clear the dust because I drive due west in the afternoon. It's true that the system may give a couple of follow-up wiper passes within the first few minutes after you do this.

Remember that the cameras are high up in an area where residual droplets can be pushed up the windshield as you drive, so I don't hold it against the car if it needs to clear an area that I don't see.

Another interpretation is that even though the windshield has already been sprayed and wiped dry, the system picks up the ongoing sun glare (you can see it on the dash cam playback) and thinks maybe it could be helped by the wipers. After a couple of minutes, it accepts the conditions and the occasional wipes stop happening.

I hope HW4 has better flare mitigation; it's a significant problem.

I have HD FM radio, will that work?

I think the router has some learning ability. If you consistently choose an alternate route from the default one, your choice becomes the new default. Could router modifications affect the cars behavior in some small way that people notice?

I have a TV that does HD, is that good?
Actually no. HD is 1990's tech and only 2K max (720p/1080i) resolution, Rec 709 color space and 8 bit per channel dynamic range. UHD TVs are 4K (2160p) and even 8K (4320p) with a wider color space and higher dynamic range (Dolby Vision/HDR10+). 🤪

So unless Tesla is using UHD maps I'm not impressed. 🤔 🤣

Actually no. HD is 1990's tech and only 2K max (720p/1080i) resolution, Rec 709 color space and 8 bit per channel dynamic range. UHD TVs are 4K (2160p) and even 8K (4320p) with a wider color space and higher dynamic range (Dolby Vision/HDR10+). 🤪
Dang I want that. Maybe these maps need to be UHD too, sounds way more 🔥🔥

but seem to have improved significantly in recent updates to the point we don't hear much about it anymore.
I think it may have just stopped raining in California.

Last time I drove in a misty rain associated with a warm front from the last couple rounds of rain, which had more subtropical tap characteristics, it was awful. It could not handle it. Tiny drops it simply could not understand.

But then 11.3.6 came out, which caused it to stop raining.

We’ll see. It does seem like a problem they should be able to solve. Unlike some other problems.