Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Looks like 11.4.2 makes stronger use of maps (lane guidance?) in its predictions:

11.4.2 map prediction.jpg

I turned down a random alley in an area I don't usually go and pulled up to some garage where vision wouldn't have been able to see through multiple fences and buildings, and it still rendered the next street over with yellow divider lines! The street to the left further down the alley is reasonable for vision to remember but the one to the right as well as the intersection has to be from regular navigation (coarse) maps, no?

This also seems to result in parking lot areas being more clearly defined in the visualization.

Why not just let us choose our own following distance? It used to give us a better range so it’s a simple fix.
Perhaps this is because this is FSD while before it was TACC. In the old autopilot, the TACC following distance was decided and set by the driver. I did that often as traffic conditions changed. FSD, on the other hand, has the objective of making all of the driving decisions on its own. Even if Tesla eventually decides to give drivers more control, during this development and testing phase, they need to see how well FSD can make its own decisions. Hence no options.

If you want to be explicit with Tesla about this behavior, when it follows too far back disengage and give a verbal report to explain. Then you can reengage and use to go pedal to shorten the gap. Lather, rinse, repeat so they can numerically see how annoying it is. Or you could accelerate to out race folks who choose to pass on the right.... However, I don't advise that here in Oakland, as some of the rapid lane changers are not only crazy, but hot tempered and well armed. ;-)

Perhaps this is because this is FSD while before it was TACC. In the old autopilot, the TACC following distance was decided and set by the driver. I did that often as traffic conditions changed. FSD, on the other hand, has the objective of making all of the driving decisions on its own. Even if Tesla eventually decides to give drivers more control, during this development and testing phase, they need to see how well FSD can make its own decisions. Hence no options.

If you want to be explicit with Tesla about this behavior, when it follows too far back disengage and give a verbal report to explain. Then you can reengage and use to go pedal to shorten the gap. Lather, rinse, repeat so they can numerically see how annoying it is. Or you could accelerate to out race folks who choose to pass on the right.... However, I don't advise that here in Oakland, as some of the rapid lane changers are not only crazy, but hot tempered and well armed. ;-)
Yes, I was driving in Oakland 2 weeks ago - as I recall top speed (briefly) was around 35 so not really a problem... ;)

Anyway, yes I know they changed this with the Vision update, yada yada, not really the point. I'm 60, not a boy-racer. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Hopefully as the system improves so can the following options. At the current pace I expect it will be a while!

haven’t noticed any improvements with 11.4.2, in fact it feels as though it’s randomly signaling even more. It’s also consistently blowing past a stop sign that the previous version was better at stopping for (wild that they don’t use any map data to know where a stop sign is)

The newest software is *sugar*. I’m constantly having issues. I’ve tried two scroll wheel restarts, formatting USB, let the car turn off and turn it back on.

Randomly throughout a drive the side cameras stop working:
IMG_1293.jpeg

Visualizer also stops working randomly:
IMG_1295.jpeg

Sentry mode randomly crashes while away from the car:
IMG_1294.jpeg

Pretty much restarting the car several times a day now.

EDIT: Auto wipers also stop working when this happens, guess the entire camera system crashes.

Last edited:
The newest software is *sugar*. I’m constantly having issues. I’ve tried two scroll wheel restarts, formatting USB, let the car turn off and turn it back on.

View attachment 943452

View attachment 943453

View attachment 943454

EDIT: Auto wipers also stop working when this happens, guess the entire camera system crashes.
You seem to get only the best! 😂 Maybe it’s pi$$ed about all the junk comments.

I’ve tried two scroll wheel restarts, formatting USB, let the car turn off and turn it back on.

An update on my USB issues: I had to replace the drive entirety. A few days after formatting my faulty drive the visualization errors were back. Pulled the drive out again, ran a check disk, irrecoverable errors again.

I think regular storage cannot handle the constant writing done by the dash cam. Drove out to Microcenter and bought a Samsung Endurance 128 GB microSD card and adapter. Only about $27 altogether, but it's a card actually designed for dash cams.

I'll write an update post here if I have any further issues detected on the new card.

Also, my highway trips on v11.4.2 were pure Zen today. Chill acceleration, Chill FSD setting, speed offset +9%, mug of mint tea in my cup holder. Only a few minor disengagements in a roundabout, but once I was on the highway it was smooth sailing.

An update on my USB issues: I had to replace the drive entirety. A few days after formatting my faulty drive the visualization errors were back. Pulled the drive out again, ran a check disk, irrecoverable errors again.

I think regular storage cannot handle the constant writing done by the dash cam. Drove out to Microcenter and bought a Samsung Endurance 128 GB microSD card and adapter. Only about $27 altogether, but it's a card actually designed for dash cams.

I'll write an update post here if I have any further issues detected on the new card.

Also, my highway trips on v11.4.2 were pure Zen today. Chill acceleration, Chill FSD setting, speed offset +9%, mug of mint tea in my cup holder. Only a few minor disengagements in a roundabout, but once I was on the highway it was smooth sailing.
I’m using 500GB Samsung T7 external SSD in both cars. No issues prior to this update.

I’m using 500GB Samsung T7 external SSD in both cars. No issues prior to this update.

That is also a highly recommended drive, so you're correct you should be fine. It might be worth running a quick check-disk utility on it just in case, however.

That being said, I think this whole phenomenon shows how issues external to the FSD Computer can affect performance. So I wonder if you might have other MCU issues that are affecting your FSD.

That is also a highly recommended drive, so you're correct you should be fine. It might be worth running a quick check-disk utility on it just in case, however.

That being said, I think this whole phenomenon shows how issues external to the FSD Computer can affect performance. So I wonder if you might have other MCU issues that are affecting your FSD.
Going to check it when I get home. Even if the drive had an issue, why would it affect the visualizer or auto wipers 🤔

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Going to check it when I get home. Even if the drive had an issue, why would it affect the visualizer or auto wipers 🤔

Might be worth checking with someone with technical knowledge like @verygreen to see if the FSD computer ever mounts the removable storage, or if anything the MCU does could introduce latency into the FSD computer's routines.

I don't know what the data pipeline looks like from the cameras to the removable storage, or if the FSD computer ever uses the removable storage for anything. But if it does, errors in reading from or writing to the drive could be causing the issues I was experiencing.

View attachment 943452

View attachment 943453

View attachment 943454

This level of failures looks like you might have bad hardware to me...

Randomly throughout a drive the side cameras stop working

You seem to get only the best! 😂 Maybe it’s pi$$ed about all the junk comments.
Yeah it sounds like his car is getting back at him for all the hurtful criticism.

Our cars have Chill, Average and Aggressive.
@Ramphex has only Passive Aggressuve.

Looks like 11.4.2 makes stronger use of maps (lane guidance?) in its predictions:

View attachment 943377

I turned down a random alley in an area I don't usually go and pulled up to some garage where vision wouldn't have been able to see through multiple fences and buildings, and it still rendered the next street over with yellow divider lines! The street to the left further down the alley is reasonable for vision to remember but the one to the right as well as the intersection has to be from regular navigation (coarse) maps, no?

This also seems to result in parking lot areas being more clearly defined in the visualization.

I'm really curious about this. I don't think it's a downloaded map that's being visualized, as it would be a fairly large download for a geometrical road / parking map of the entire continent.

Once again, I think that the dense autolabeling has seen so many roads / intersections / parking lots, that it's able to "hallucinate" road geometry beyond its vision. There are only so many different variants of road and parking lot geometries (probably less than 100,000?), and FSDb has been trained on millions of intersections (per AI Day 2).

The visualized road geometry isn't stable. It morphs and whole parking lot geometries can come in and out of existence.

Here's the source for million+ intersections: