Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yowza! He had a close call. Too often FSDj gets confused with lead vehicle distances/separation. Maybe lead vehicle separation/distance isn't being properly updating when FSDj creeps? Definitely not a laughing matter.

I'm sure it felt close, but I'm not sure what you're talking about it getting confused while creeping. You can tell from the position of the hood and the position of the bus relative to the center lane-line that the FSD Beta visualization is accurate, and there's at least a foot of space between the two vehicles at the closest:

1686684857451.png

I'm sure it felt close, but I'm not sure what you're talking about it getting confused while creeping. You can tell from the position of the hood and the position of the bus relative to the center lane-line that the FSD Beta visualization is accurate, and there's at least a foot of space between the two vehicles at the closest:

View attachment 946624
Also, using wide-angle cameras is not a very good way to figure out distances accurately.

Robotaxi? When? Not for me.

1. When running low on juice. Self drive to a charge station? Wait in line? Plug itself in?
2. Do correct customer cc processing? (Need car upgrade for computer to process this)? Drive to next customer?
3. Oops customer had a spill, got sick or some other mishap. Self drive to an automatic cleaning station before next customer drive? Or to you for manual clean up?
4. Needs a wash and vacuum. Drive to you for cleaning or go to Robo car wash and vac? (Car rentals do it after every rental).
5. Flat tire? You or Robo fixer?
6. How to limit where it goes or or doesn't get stuck in rush hour so you get the car back for your own use?
7. What if it's stuck in extended traffic delay anyway? Do you call a different Robo?
8. Things I haven't thought of?

I may be completely wrong but I see corporate rentals buying and using them with non-drivers. Do we really think we, in our lifetime, will personally make money here? The best expected use I saw was from a post a while ago. An elderly couple said they would use their car as a Robotaxi because they weren't able to drive anymore and would send it to pick up their granddaughter.

How many of you will put your nice car up for commercial Robo?

Your thoughts?
I have no plans or desire to use my car as a robotaxi, nor do I see robotaxis in the foreseeable future but none of these items are actual issues or things that haven't already been addressed in other areas/services.

Reactions: Dennisis

View attachment 946624
When driving in the city and pulling out around a stopped car, parking, etc one routinely drives within a foot. Is it close? Yes. But we are watching, driving carefully and slowly and it isn't an issue.

why is it an issue for FSD then? I think it's an issue because we don't have confidence that FSD is that accurate in its distance estimates and steering. In a case like this, why does one say "Wow, FSD is getting really good to be that accurate and confident" vs "wow, FSD almost hit that car. It clearly can't judge the distance well enough and is total junk." It's the same maneuver, the only difference is your opinion of the software coloring your assessment.

I have 11.3.6 via 2023.12.10. Now it is asking me to install 2023.12.11. This one doesn't seem to have a FSB beta version. I assume that I should ignore this one?

They have added a reversible lane to the GW Parkway (meaning that cars traveling the opposite way in the second lane on a 4 lane divided parkway). FSB beta cannot handle this. It slows down to 20 mph when it sees an oncoming car. Everyone else is going 60+.

I have 11.3.6 via 2023.12.10. Now it is asking me to install 2023.12.11. This one doesn't seem to have a FSB beta version. I assume that I should ignore this one?

They have added a reversible lane to the GW Parkway (meaning that cars traveling the opposite way in the second lane on a 4 lane divided parkway). FSB beta cannot handle this. It slows down to 20 mph when it sees an oncoming car. Everyone else is going 60+.

At least according to Green, that version may have FSD Beta baked into it. I've seen a lot of folks asking the same question on Reddit, but no definitive answer yet whether updating to it keeps the Beta active:

Edit: Hopefully this person on Reddit will report back soon:

Last edited:
Reactions: zazim

I updated to this last night from 2023.12.10. It's still FSDb. Not sure why TeslaFi doesn't have it marked as such.

Screen says..
V11.1 (2023.12.11 ....)
Full Self-Driving (Beta) Software
v11.3.6

Navigation Data
NA-2022.44-14515

6 Hours, Zero takeovers.

Completely useless* because its by a shill* according to #JunkTeam.

When regular AutoPilot can do 99% of what was shown, years ago, it's hardly that impressive in terms of actual FSD improvements. The car basically drives in a straight line on a highway and the easiest city streets you've ever seen - without crashing. While this is certainly good, this is a major cherry-pick to show how well the car behaves on clearly marked streets. There's nothing complicated about the drive at any point. Also to note it does drive in a carpool lane, which I'm pretty sure was illegal.

1686688701713.png

These selective paths are not exactly indicative of how FSD behaves on city streets for the majority of the time.

When regular AutoPilot can do 99% of what was shown, years ago, it's hardly that impressive in terms of actual FSD improvements. The car basically drives in a straight line on a highway and the easiest city streets you've ever seen - without crashing. While this is certainly good, this is a major cherry-pick to show how well the car behaves on clearly marked streets. There's nothing complicated about the drive at any point. Also to note it does drive in a carpool lane, which I'm pretty sure was illegal.

View attachment 946644

These selective paths are not exactly indicative of how FSD behaves on city streets for the majority of the time.
In California, clean air vehicles (like Tesla) qualify for Carpool stickers that allow access to the lanes with a single occupant.

• Helpful
Reactions: BDC62 and WilliamG
In California, clean air vehicles (like Tesla) qualify for Carpool stickers that allow access to the lanes with a single occupant.
While true, the stickers expire after a few years, I thought he had his car for a while, he started his YT channel in 2020, which would indicate the stickers expire this year if he got them back in 2020, I wonder what would happen once his stickers expire and a cop wants to pull him over during 1 of his 'no-intervention' drives. o_O

Tesla frequently prefers unprotected lefts over protected turns to save one minute on the drive.
I forgot to ask, does Apple Maps navigation have a routing preference option to avoid or minimize unprotected lefts? I would like to see this in the Tesla. With the marginal UPL performance it has now, I do try to manipulate the nav to avoid some of them.

6 Hours, Zero takeovers.

Completely useless* because its by a shill* according to #JunkTeam.

Also worth flagging that he does live-streams now too. You could argue the YouTube videos are cherry-picked, but you cannot cherry-pick a live-stream before the fact:

I don’t think his videos are fake…. I just don’t have the same experience 😅😅 I posted 6 videos including 2 short drives and how much it screws up on every single drive. Is it a different model issue? Different state issue? Who knows.

Reactions: Pdubs and jebinc
Also worth flagging that he does live-streams now too. You could argue the YouTube videos are cherry-picked, but you cannot cherry-pick a live-stream before the fact:
How I wish that my car would get L4 FSD, so I could be enabled to pull up YouTube on the screen - and spend my new free time watching Omar do his livestreamed FSD drives ! :)

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc and Pdubs
It’s not clear to me how much the neural net plays into it. From what I understand there’s no onboard neural net processing training occurring but How are they using the NN and is it just to guide algorithm changes or is it affecting things on a drive by drive basis?
Minor FTFY above.

Aside from that, this is exactly the point that I've been emphasizing lately. The car is now exhibiting l drive-to-drive changes not because of NN changes, nor apparently because of parameter-setting changes (according to verygreen and others), but due to downloaded drive-tine map-hints changes.

These can cause improvements or regressions, I've seen both, and I'm not talking about random variations, but clear patterns of step changes where the server database suddenly solves a prior recurring problem. I had a few of these, but then (I think) when I got the latest base-maps, one or two of my previously solved problems reappeared.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc and Pdubs
Took a second test drive on FSDj 11.4.3. Report posted in the “actual experiences” thread.

Reactions: Pdubs
While true, the stickers expire after a few years, I thought he had his car for a while, he started his YT channel in 2020, which would indicate the stickers expire this year if he got them back in 2020, I wonder what would happen once his stickers expire and a cop wants to pull him over during 1 of his 'no-intervention' drives. o_O
There is a settings screen in your Tesla called "Navigation" and in there is an option to use HOV lanes - you can just turn that off. :)

Reactions: totoro722