Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Sometimes systems have a first_boot flag that causes them to do additional things like initialize databases or other persistent storage. This could cause a delay in one, or more, processors, or processes) becoming fully operational. If another process is expecting a specific boot order, there could be a race condition that causes anomalous behavior. The race condition might work out OK 99% of the time, so may not get detected until the software gets to the field. I've had Tesla updates that acted weird on the initial boot, but cleared up after rebooting.

Given Tesla's rapid development pace, I would not be surprised if bugs like this slip by. So, a second boot might not be a bad strategy.
Six years of driving Teslas has shown this to be true.

Anyone else still stuck on 11.4.2?
I have an update ready to install, but not taking any chances while on a two week road trip. Last October I installed an update while road tripping and spent the next six hours driving manually (yes it was horrible 😩 ), until Tesla pushed me an update that fixed the problem. Probably would have been fixed sooner if I had known how to deal with service through the app better. I think it's a good system, but there's a learning curve.

From an earlier post in a different thread:
I'm currently on a 2,000 mile road trip from Portland to San Diego and back, and have been very impressed with the latest FSD performance. It's actually incredibly useful, and I don't need to worry about navigating anymore. I use to struggle with navigating San Diego, but now I can let my brain turn further into mush while my car takes me to where I need to go. I still need to babysit it, but I don't need to look at or listen to navigation instructions anymore. I always kept the verbal instructions muted anyway.

I feel like FSD is on the cusp of being truly amazing. I think even if it takes five years from now, that Tesla will still beat the competition, to having an affordable consumer FSD solution.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
11.4.4 so far for me is worse the. 11.4.3. I was actually pretty pleased with 11.4.3 but on 11.4.4 I’ve noticed it gets really nervous when turning or when someone ahead stops. Almost like someone who wasn’t paying attention realizes a second or two after they should have
I’m starting to see a pattern here. Are you HW3 per chance? Seems folks that have HW4 and the 11.4.x builds are reporting (including me) huge improvements on the very things you mentioned whereas HW3 vehicles are getting regressions in those very builds. Wonder if the reason for the 11.3.6 and 11.4.4 separate tracks are the 11.4.x is experimenting and when it gets it right will be released to the 11.3.6 channel where a good bit of the the HW3 are?

Just chill, but regardless of setting, it was a really dumb move, as it gave itself no chance to get back in the right turn lane :)
Guess I never understand the resistance to Try and use the solutions offered. I to didn’t love the irrational lane changing but a few Simple changes and most I would say are 10x better.
1. Use minimal lane change button. I Agree it’s crazy that you have to select this Every time you drive but it is what it is for now. With this set most of all goofy lane changes stop.
2. Along with item 1, I try to make sure my speed request is rational. Meaning, if the street speed is 30 and I override the dial to 50 it Will try to accommodate my speed interest by changing lanes. If however I leave it at 30 or slightly above say 35 in general it basically concedes “close enough” and just stays in that lane.

We all want it Perfect, but resisting minor changes often just adds to frustration. I personally believe many of the individuals with issues simply want it to drive like them and automatically figure out what they are thinking. We are sadly far from that type of AI.

6-7 miles logged this evening to and from favorite mtb spot. Mind, bike on the back of an upright hitch mount bike rack. So, that’s a factor based on previous experience with a bike on the back. (Not good)

11.4.4 was WORSE than 11.4.3. Absolutely freaked out while making a upl with a truck at said intersection. Also, stopping mid turn just like it did on 11.4.3 on numerous turns. Another “added feature” was absolutely horrible lane keeping on my way home, totally hugging the centerline, never did this before.

I’m taking this with a “grain of salt”, as I had a bike carrier hanging off the back of my car, so, the jury is still out on this. Tomorrow I have some regular traveled routes planned for work, so we will see. First impressions are disappointing (again, I’m blaming it on the bike rack, but who knows).

Who knows, maybe it’s time for a new model s with a roof top bike carrier? Change my mind! But I guess all the refreshed s/x’s suffer from the FSD flu? Yes? No!
The bike rack was the issue, pretty decent drives today, a couple of problem spots. I’d say so far better than 11.4.3. Haven’t had a chance to see how it handles narrow unmarked roads yet with oncoming traffic. One issue that was there on 4.3 is whenever it’s turning onto my road (a narrow unmarked road), it swings waaaay into the left side of the road when making the turn, it’s still an issue on .4.4.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Anyone else still stuck on 11.4.2?

Not me, but plenty of others. Among TeslaFi subscribers, 751 are currently reported to be on 11.4.2, 912 on 11.4.3, and 3,356 on 11.4.4 There are an additional 672 reported as pending on 11.4.4, nearly all of whom are probably coming from these other two, but that still leaves about a thousand not yet invited.

On TeslaFI, I can pick FSD only and it then shows the percentages just for those.
12.2% are still on 11.4.2

N7cqaSF.jpg

I’m starting to see a pattern here. Are you HW3 per chance? Seems folks that have HW4 and the 11.4.x builds are reporting (including me) huge improvements on the very things you mentioned whereas HW3 vehicles are getting regressions in those very builds. Wonder if the reason for the 11.3.6 and 11.4.4 separate tracks are the 11.4.x is experimenting and when it gets it right will be released to the 11.3.6 channel where a good bit of the the HW3 are?
Yep I’m HW3!

Ok I spoke too soon, 4.4 is worse than 4.2 for me with chill. 4.4 just does so many random things and overreacts more to cross cars and peds. 4.4 is definitely smoother in routine things, but when you have other dynamic objects in the environment, it doesn't perform as well as 4.2 so far.

Progress is not accelerating! (at least not in my area)

Reactions: EVNow
hope they push a new update somewhat soon. 11.4.3 was by far the best update for me, first time I had a lot more confidence in FSD taking me 45 minutes to work through city and highway driving. 11.4.4 is by far the worst for me (as fasteddie7 speculated it seems to be good for HW4 but bad for HW3), and not to exaggerate but it’s unusable imo. Very erratic movement right before turning on city streets and really unsmooth stopping when slowing down from a vehicle ahead

The bike rack was the issue, pretty decent drives today, a couple of problem spots. I’d say so far better than 11.4.3. Haven’t had a chance to see how it handles narrow unmarked roads yet with oncoming traffic. One issue that was there on 4.3 is whenever it’s turning onto my road (a narrow unmarked road), it swings waaaay into the left side of the road when making the turn, it’s still an issue on .4.4.
Seems you‘ve had a few post attempts using the bike rake which proved unsuccessful. Likely that won’t change.

Update on the video I posted last night where 4.4 was back to stopping at the sign and creeping forward a distance that, although legal, was irritating to drivers behind me. Today 4.4 is back to stopping past the sign, in fact, for several signs it was way past the sign, even a little further than I would pull up. For the signs that had buildings and other obstructions at the sign, it pulled up far enough that the cross path was clearly visible for me, creeped very little and completed the turn.

Did some more driving today on 11.4.4. A couple trips across town in heavy traffic. Drove well for the most part and I had no interventions. However, the car did mistakenly pull into two short left turn lanes in a row, but quickly pulled back into the correct lane so I let it go. Looked like it was really drunk. Probably wasn't the best thing to do it in front of the county jail. I probably should have disengaged, but I wanted to see how the car would deal with it.

I also notice some remaining timidity at stop signs when there are other cars. But, despite being a bit slow to proceed through, it made it OK.

However, the car did do a great job changing lanes when a car in the right lane slowed to turn. Ego sped up(!) to clear the car in the next lane and made the lane change. This is where having cameras simultaneously looking fore and aft really helps.