Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
HE IS back. Even jebinc was concerned about were you were. 2 months vacation. :oops: Are you sure you live in the US? 🤔🤣We don't take vacations. Coincidentally in the background playing now is the Plant Money podcast and it is about how we in the US don't take much vacation or time off.

Also you will probably need to take a year long vacation to have any chance for V12.🤪
Not all of it was vacation from work. Just spending time with my extended family "back home" in India.

ps :

They have added a new stop sign near my home. So, its not on the map. FSD will continue at normal speed until it reads the stop sign and then quickly slow down. Hasn't skipped the stop sign yet - though we've had a few abrupt slowdowns for the sign.

I guess much like most humans - since the sign is new !

v11.4.4 : TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Are you coming from FSD Beta v11.3.6?
Just ran through Teslafi's report on 2023.7.20. Interestingly, they have 20-odd cars in their fleet currently be upgraded to 2023.7.20, which is 11.4.4. From the stats, these updates are being applied to chars with a variety of earlier 10.x and 11.x versions.

If I remember right, 11.4.5 never made it out the door; 11.4.6 to some youtubers,and I think that was it.

Possible that Tesla is starting to work to put all the 11.4.x and 10.x.x people on 11.4.4 before the Next Big One?

Dunno, but it is interesting.

The next "big one" won't be until Christmas. Same as last year, they do internal testing on the next big version in hopes of it going live for everyone as part of the holiday update, and the public FSD branch gets a few minimal updates months apart over the second half of the year. We Might see 11.5 before year end and then jump to 12, possibly on the production branch finally replacing autopilot for the masses. That's probably the goal, but replacing autopilot with the then-current version of fsd has probably been the goal for holiday updates like the past 2 years, so we'll see if it happens this year. In any case, don't expect any real updates to our fsd until Christmas.

Just ran through Teslafi's report on 2023.7.20. Interestingly, they have 20-odd cars in their fleet currently be upgraded to 2023.7.20, which is 11.4.4. From the stats, these updates are being applied to chars with a variety of earlier 10.x and 11.x versions. ...
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. At the moment there are almost 4,500 TeslaFi-reporting cars on 2023.7.20 aka FSDb11.4.4.

It's true that there continue to be some stragglers, with a little over 20 cars per day registering new downloads. My assumption is that this simply reflects cars that have been sitting for a while with owners on travel, or car in the shop, or owners who deliberately put off the update for whatever reason, etc. However I think this is kind of normal and I'm not sure that we can read anything into the long tail of delayed installations.

Like everyone else here, I have no clear idea of why the incremental updates of 11.4.x have stalled and/or been pulled back a couple of times.

One possibility is that they're working hard on it, but have really run into some unusually sticky problems.

Another is that they're not working so hard on it, because engineers and training computer time are being assigned to the v12 effort.

It could be that there's something not directly related to the general FSD driving performance, but they're trying to hit a goal that makes this release more complicated. Like maybe they really want to show that they've got to handle on the parking assistance for both HW3 and HW4 non-USS cars, or maybe they aren't yet satisfied with the HW4 . Or maybe there's some unknown software crisis holding up the project Highland cars.

I'm not making a jab, but I've already noted that there must be mounting pressure as deliveries continue for cars without the full complement of capabilities - so I'm somewhat doubtful that internal enthusiasm for an upcomiing v12 would really be allowed to pull resources away from these other problems.

Just ran through Teslafi's report on 2023.7.20. Interestingly, they have 20-odd cars in their fleet currently be upgraded to 2023.7.20, which is 11.4.4. From the stats, these updates are being applied to chars with a variety of earlier 10.x and 11.x versions.

If I remember right, 11.4.5 never made it out the door; 11.4.6 to some youtubers,and I think that was it.

Possible that Tesla is starting to work to put all the 11.4.x and 10.x.x people on 11.4.4 before the Next Big One?

Dunno, but it is interesting.
Trying to read too much into. There are many different reasons but not Tesla's future strategy. For example someone has a Tesla at a vacation home and only use a few times a year. They finally went back to use that car a week ago and installed 11.4.4 making it a "new" install.

EDIT: Didn't read JHCCAZ post before I posed.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. At the moment there are almost 4,500 TeslaFi-reporting cars on 2023.7.20 aka FSDb11.4.4.

It's true that there continue to be some stragglers, with a little over 20 cars per day registering new downloads. My assumption is that this simply reflects cars that have been sitting for a while with owners on travel, or car in the shop, or owners who deliberately put off the update for whatever reason, etc. However I think this is kind of normal and I'm not sure that we can read anything into the long tail of delayed installations.

Like everyone else here, I have no clear idea of why the incremental updates of 11.4.x have stalled and/or been pulled back a couple of times.

One possibility is that they're working hard on it, but have really run into some unusually sticky problems.

Another is that they're not working so hard on it, because engineers and training computer time are being assigned to the v12 effort.

It could be that there's something not directly related to the general FSD driving performance, but they're trying to hit a goal that makes this release more complicated. Like maybe they really want to show that they've got to handle on the parking assistance for both HW3 and HW4 non-USS cars, or maybe they aren't yet satisfied with the HW4 . Or maybe there's some unknown software crisis holding up the project Highland cars.

I'm not making a jab, but I've already noted that there must be mounting pressure as deliveries continue for cars without the full complement of capabilities - so I'm somewhat doubtful that internal enthusiasm for an upcomiing v12 would really be allowed to pull resources away from these other problems.
Then they should return us to a current production branch with FSDj 11.3.6. Leaving us “as is,” with this 11.4.x rubbish, is beyond ridiculous. Insulting, actually.
@WilliamG

Someone has a Tesla at a vacation home and only use a few times a year.
More likely it's the car of a wife and mother who gets called up to active duty as a special forces commando and leaves the car in the charge of the adult kids, but those kids are in training for the Special Olympics and break the wifi while preparing, then uncle Jake, who really is rather good with computers, gets called in for wifi repair duty but is on vacation in the Philipines, so cousin Timmy has to fill in but Timmy has always had a deathly fear of wifis, and in fact is pretty sure that's how they're keeping an eye on his every move, so he shows up wearing a Hazmat suit but gets arrested when the kids mistake him for government "cleaners" and call the local SBI. After a year Timmy gets out as time served but has zero interest in wifi repairs, Jake marries a Philipino businessman, and Rita, the commando wife, runs off with a used tie salesman from Toledo..........pissing jebinc off even more..........

Last edited:
More likely it's the car of a wife and mother who gets called up to active duty as a special forces commando and leaves the car in the charge of the adult kids, but those kids are in training for the Special Olympics and break the wifi while preparing, then uncle Jake, who really is rather good with computers, gets called in for wifi repair duty but is on vacation in the Philipines, so cousin Timmy has to fill in but Timmy has always had a deathly fear of wifis, and in fact is pretty sure that's how they're keeping an eye on his every move, so he shows up wearing a Hazmat suit but gets arrested when the kids mistake him for government "cleaners" and call the local SBI. After a year Timmy gets out as time served but has zero interest in wifi repairs, Jake marries a Philipino businessman, and Rita, the commando wife, runs off with a used tie salesman from Toledo..........pissing jebinc off even more..........
That could make a post of the day reels. :)

I turned off my subscription after mom had a flood at her house, so I could help her this month with the subscription money I would usually spend. My car updated to 2023.26.8, can I resubscribed and get the FSD split this week?
Not based on historic actions others have reported. You'll have to wait until there is a beta version available that is worked into a firmware version newer than the one you now have. Tesla has not allowed firmware to move back to get FSD beta.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
It annoys me just about daily: I love still being on February (2022.7) software as a reward for paying five figures to Tesla for FSDj.

Tesla really needs to come up with a way to not let this happen anymore. This might be the longest any FSDj customer has spent on such dated firmware?

Reactions: jebinc
Dropped FSD (beta) subscription - Why I did, and how the process played out.

I dropped my FSD subscription the day before the sub ended and as of midnight last night FSD was gone. I've been on beta since the first safety score group was granted access on 10/11/21, FSD Beta Version 10.2 (2021.32.25). I'm a 'glass half full' type and don't think beta is Junk or Perfect, it's just in a slow moving spot right now and I want some of the mainstream features (non FSD) available in the latest versions. At the top of the list for me is 'charge on solar' which will be very useful. I fully expect to resubscribe, probably by the end of the year, since as others have speculated the holiday release may merge the latest firmware with the latest beta (or wide release).

For those who are contemplating doing the same here's how it played out.

• My sub ended at midnight last night
  • I did not get a notification from TeslaFi that a new version was available (which I always get)
  • Today about noon I went to settings>software and I immediately noticed that the 'looking for updates' message was thrashing longer than normal
  • It then said that I could download 2023.26.8 (the latest available as of now)
I've used beta for about 90% of my drives and will really miss it...temporarily.

It annoys me just about daily: I love still being on February (2022.7) software as a reward for paying five figures to Tesla for FSDj.

Tesla really needs to come up with a way to not let this happen anymore. This might be the longest any FSDj customer has spent on such dated firmware?
It really is a crime against Telsa owner humanity.

Reactions: WilliamG
It really is a crime against Telsa owner humanity.
Um. @jebinc.

It's not unusual, to say the least, for you to dis the living $whatever out of each, every, and all FSD-b releases since Tesla first tried turning them on.

But I had the impression from previous relatively recent posts of yours that you had bought a non-Tesla car and was happily zooming all over the landscape in it. And, if memory serves, was More Than Happy with whatever that car manufacturer's version of TACC/LK/whatever was. And, in fact, came by here to gloat about how wonderful your new ride was.

So, since you're not driving a Tesla any more, or it's parked in long-term storage somewhere, why are you here badmouthing things? Just can't get out of the habit?