Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I've had my car for over 4 years and I have recalibrated the cameras exactly .........0 times. Unless there is a hardware change or a specific problem it is unnecessary, but no harm other that having to wait on calibration if you want to.
I asked this question because 11.4.7 is for both HW3 and HW4. I want to make sure that nothing related to HW4 can mess up with my HW3 although Tesla does not tell me to do so. It's just my witch hunt hoping 11.4.7 does not do witching things.

My Tesla 2003 M3LR(11.4.4)just blew through a stop sign! Yikes. I did not expect that at all. It’s the first time I’ve driven this particular route so maybe it’s GPS data related? It’s a pretty established road in a large development so I was very suprised. Hard to keep up with this thread since it moves very quickly so my apologies if this behavior has been discussed. But I’ll ask anyway..;) has anyone experienced this?

I’m going to drive the same route later to see if it happens again.
I had an issue with an X type exit ramp a couple versions ago. My car would do a stop and proceed through a red light. I did a bug report to Tesla. on the next update. the car will stop and not move, when the light turns green the car will no longer go through the light even when green. I have to press the gas pedal to move. The car won't move no matter what. We will see if this version clears the issue.

That's why we all need to be paying attention when using this, anything can happen and at the worst time.
So true. Since enabling FSDb - I've been wondering if there's ever a scenario where - like AP/EAP - it "flashes red" and then requires the driver to take control - or if the driver always has to intervene manually to stop FSDb from misbehaving. Yesterday I found out it does in fact "flash red", as I used FSDb for the first time to actually exit my development road - and when it approached the main road to make an unprotected left, it flashed red - and disengaged FSDb all on its own - complete with the ding-dong chime - forcing me to take control. So it does behave like an L3 autonomous system when it literally doesn't know what to do and requires the driver to take control. It's also cool that it does this right at the exit from my development - as I'll easily be able to test if/when this gets better. :cool:

11.4.7 did not blow my mind:

1. Did not stop for stop sign in a neighborhood when making right turn. No car, no people around though. Maybe FSD thinks it's OK do this?
2. At one intersection I had to press the accelerator to make the car move straight when red light changed to green light. Maybe the car saw something I did not see? I doubt it.
3. Did not smoothly make the right turn to neighborhood when exiting from a 50 mph street. The wheel jerked in the middle of the turn.
4. Slammed on break (not too long though) when a car from behind moving closer on my left side. 11.4.4 had this too.

11.4.7 did not blow my mind:

1. Did not stop for stop sign in a neighborhood when making right turn. No car, no people around though. Maybe FSD thinks it's OK do this?
2. At one intersection I had to press the accelerator to make the car move straight when red light changed to green light. Maybe the car saw something I did not see? I doubt it.
3. Did not smoothly make the right turn to neighborhood when exiting from a 50 mph street. The wheel jerked in the middle of the turn.
4. Slammed on break (not too long though) when a car from behind moving closer on my left side. 11.4.4 had this too.
hardly surprising - its just a bug fix from 11.4.7
No minds should be expecting to be blown :D

I just had a short drive to the local mall. Did this drive hundreds of times using different versions of FSD so it's a body memory for me.

Driven with "Average" and "Minimize Lane Changes".

- It feels slightly different. It accelerates and brakes a bit differently. Turns a bit differently. Not sure if it is more or less aggressive, but different.
- Camera views are much better! I can see more details more easily when I glance quickly. Not sure if all the details were there before, but I see better now.
- It jerks a bit more when it does the left turn. Instead of one smooth move, sometimes it briefly jerks then does the move. Not erratic but just enough to be annoying. May be I'll get used to it.
- I saw the blue "go with the flow" message. It was on a 40km zone, I set 55km/h as max, but it set to 56km/h as no car was in front of me. Interesting, not sure I like this or not.
- a person jumped in front and crossed the road, tight enough that the car had to slow down. FSD handled it quite gracefully. I doubt anyone would have noticed it was FSD doing the driving.
- The car joined the right turn only lane earlier than usual. There were lots of traffic, so it would have been challenging to move at the last minute the way it used to do things but it was good today. A new behavior I've never seen before. Not sure if this is as a result of better path planning, or it saw a long lineup for turning right early.
- Nag has changed. I feel it nags more when I am not completely paying attention. On rural roads, it used to nag quite frequently (vs highways) even when I'm looking at front, but it almost didn't nag through the whole road. Again, this has never happened before. I was wearing a sunglass.

Overall, I feel this version will suit me a bit better, especially if I get used to some of it's new annoyances.

More serious long distance driving coming this weekend. ;)

hardly surprising - its just a bug fix from 11.4.7
No minds should be expecting to be blown :D
They just didn't update the release notes. We know the camera's balance changed (and possibly frame rate depending on who you trust) and according to Elon 11.4.7 is mostly AI.

It certainly feels a lot different than 11.4.6, even if it made almost every mistake it made previously, outside of jumping out of a creep.

11.4.7 doesn’t really seem to be moving much, certainly not what I’d call a “roll out”
What's your threshold to be considered a rollout? 11.4.7 initially became available to about 2.5% of early access on Thursday 24th then increased to 10% on Sunday, and today it's up to 25% (not necessarily completed install yet). Seems like the next wave will increase to a majority and maybe 100% by end of this week:

Maybe 11.4.4 available on the main production software as 2023.26.10 for HW3 last week and 2023.26.11 for HW4 yesterday could indicate Tesla is getting ready for 11.4.7 for that audience if things look good enough for wide rollout to early access.