Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
11.4.7 has been a step backwards for me, too. Only used to have to take control 4-5 times on my 15 mile commute. Hit that number halfway there before I gave up on it. As usual, mostly due to Bad Lane Change. Is there really any point anymore of giving feedback to the "Why did you disengage?" prompt? With v12 coming, I wonder if they even look at v11 feedback.

Well crap, car just notified me that 11.4.7 is available.
Conflicted because some folks are reporting that auto wipers are now broken but others saying they‘ve improved.
Really don’t want busted wipers after only just getting them working.
Seems like if you install and then reboot and let the car go into deep sleep (or full power off) things improve. I just got offered 4.7 so I'll check out as well.

What’s interesting about the highland is the renders seem to show a bumper canners while the review units do not. Wonder if it’s for secret keeping or it’s just a drop in camera upgrade. Even so, green attached a wide 150 degree camera to the bumper and it doesn’t show any more that the windshield cameras, in fact even less. This would suggest it won’t do much of anything for FSD except maybe help summon and low speed parking obstacle detection.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
We got 2023.7.30/FSDb 11.4.7 on our model 3 and our model Y.

We intermittently have communications problems on the cars, but they were especially bad on the Y in the early hours after the new software.

1. app could not open release the charging cable after an overnight charge.
2. app could not see the car in any way, including reporting velocity or position during the entire 10 minutes my wife drove it to church.
3. TeslaFi tracking missed that drive to church entirely, the whole time reporting that the driver's door was open and the car in the Idle state.
4. On leaving church, the app could not request the car to activate climate (here in New Mexico that is a useful feature, as even with protection active the interior is routinely at 100F).
5... and some more I've forgotten

So when she got home I did the simplest 2-button reset, and we've had no more trouble. I did it to the 3 also without waiting for trouble.

I've never believed the doctrines that one should routinely reboot the UI and calibrate the cameras after every software update, but this is the second time that a simple 2-button reset seems to have terminated a flurry of "communication" troubles.

It only takes a minute. Maybe I'll just do it after software updates, for good luck. I still don't understand why it would help, given that the install routine ends with some sort of reset.

More specifically on 11.4.7, the camera views onscreen are enough different in the daytime to catch my attention immediately. We have a lot of blue sky here in New Mexico, and one obvious difference is that the shade of blue displayed is quite a bit different.

Did the autowipers just start working all of the sudden? I haven’t driven in the rain since the hurricane.
I didn’t go out when you came to town but had to yesterday. I fully expected them to not work at all but they not only worked, they slowed down and went intermittent when needed. First time I’ve used them and not had to manually shut them off or put them on intermittent myself.

I was surprised

Yet another first time behaviour on 11.4.7.

I'm waiting on a traffic light. My road is 4-lane and so is the one crossing mine. I was the first car on the red light.

When the light turned green, the car drove an arch directly to the right lane on the crossing road! I have to admit, I do this at times when no one is around me and when I'm not in a hurry but I've never seen FSD do this before. There were cars behind me - not sure if that affected this behaviour. Again, not sure if I like it or not - may be more on the side of not liking it...

They are clearly still experimenting with path planning + lane choices...

Yet another first time behaviour on 11.4.7.

I'm waiting on a traffic light. My road is 4-lane and so is the one crossing mine. I was the first car on the red light.

When the light turned green, the car drove an arch directly to the right lane on the crossing road! I have to admit, I do this at times when no one is around me and when I'm not in a hurry but I've never seen FSD do this before. There were cars behind me - not sure if that affected this behaviour. Again, not sure if I like it or not - may be more on the side of not liking it...

They are clearly still experimenting with path planning + lane choices...
Trying to envision this. Which lane were you in and which direction were you turning?