Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Teach a man to full self-drive, and he'll cruise smoothly for a day. Teach a man to full self-drive a fish, and he'll probably end up at a seafood restaurant wondering where the road turned into waves. Just remember, whether on land or sea, keep the self-driving to the vehicles, not the wildlife!
Hey, welcome to TMC, ItalianoNC. I have to tell you I'm really from Raleigh.........

Sadly 2023.27.6 has broken the ability to do voice commands (No Connectivity error). Many reboots did not resolve. Maybe it'll resolve once I let my Premium Connectivity expire.

And one dry wipe mid-day.

Had it do some surface streets and it was pretty awful about braking especially on downhills. How hard is it to anticipate and gauge how early to start slowing down? To be clear, this may not be a new development, no idea, really. Performance prior to now has been inconsistent. The jerkiness is probably improved from much earlier versions, as discussed earlier here, but friction brake use is out of control still. Ironically it seemed to use brakes much less on stop signs, the one place it would make sense to use friction brakes to improve throughput by increasing average speed.

Wife was not in the car for this one (it's been banned (on surface streets) until the next release that demonstrates significant improvements on surface streets), but certainly it would have failed the Wife Test.

Lots of work to do on the fundamentals still. If they can figure out how to go and how to stop, we'll really be cooking. Not there yet, though!

I doubt v12 will get us there, though maybe it'll somehow be more optimal. Just seems really unlikely. I can't wrap my head around how v12 will work unless it is not exactly what was advertised.
More misery for sure. I've had a few dry window wipes. I had hoped the 2023 map update would have had positive results but no such luck. I still get the WTF navigation to the morning workout with a circular scenic drive though the neighborhood across the street. Of course all the other crap remains the same - excess acceleration in turns, stop short without clear visibility before initiating starts, herky-jerky indecisive starts with approaching cars, driving too close to parked cars even when the road is wide open, .... It's an embarassing endless list.

I’m by no means a trumpeter of FSDb or j or wtf, but I’ve been in this for 2 years now and can honestly say I’ve never experienced sliding tires or snap turns into one way streets. If you’re biasing to the left shoulder, you’re in the wrong lane, which I’ve never experienced either. What version are you talking about? Yes it freaks out the wife so I don’t use it with her but your post.…. WTactualF?
I am not in any way even suggesting that YOUR Tesla has ever slid a tire, turned into the wrong lane. . . . I am only reporting how mine is currently behaving. There was an update several months ago that fixed a bunch of stuff and improved a lot of behavior.

Then the next update reduced the visibility of the cameras by 50%????? That's just kind of a guess because how far away vehicles and other things appeared in the visualization depended on how large they were and what they actually were. This resulted in oncoming trucks do not appear until they are roughly 100 feet away, but trash cans don't appear along the shoulder until they have disappeared from the windshield and mail boxes now rarely appear. The whole visual field got reduced by a lot with that update and I kept hoping another update would undo the damage.

But so far, each update since has failed to make any noticeable improvement. If it will make you happier I can get a passenger with a camera to record a video of meeting a vehicle. Other than trying to include the car display, the oncoming vehicle, the windshield view with left shoulder, road and right shoulder what else would you like?

BTW I updated my location to include software version, so hover over that for today's flavor.

I am not in any way even suggesting that YOUR Tesla has ever slid a tire, turned into the wrong lane. . . . I am only reporting how mine is currently behaving. There was an update several months ago that fixed a bunch of stuff and improved a lot of behavior.

Then the next update reduced the visibility of the cameras by 50%????? That's just kind of a guess because how far away vehicles and other things appeared in the visualization depended on how large they were and what they actually were. This resulted in oncoming trucks do not appear until they are roughly 100 feet away, but trash cans don't appear along the shoulder until they have disappeared from the windshield and mail boxes now rarely appear. The whole visual field got reduced by a lot with that update and I kept hoping another update would undo the damage.

But so far, each update since has failed to make any noticeable improvement. If it will make you happier I can get a passenger with a camera to record a video of meeting a vehicle. Other than trying to include the car display, the oncoming vehicle, the windshield view with left shoulder, road and right shoulder what else would you like?

BTW I updated my location to include software version, so hover over that for today's flavor.
Oh in all seriousness, you need to contact service through the app. I'm by no means an expert, but this sounds like a whole lot more than software related. btw, very cool with the location hovering and showing software version.

Last edited:
11.4.7.2 is worse than 11.4.7, at least after two days of using this junk. More stopping mid turn in spots that I did not have issues before. Not giving pedestrians enough space, yet swerving for pedestrians walking on sidewalks. Highway performance is worse yet. Phantom braking, taking west bound exits when it’s supposed to take east bound exits.

I see a change I don't like that I think showed up with 2023.27.6/FSDb 11.4.7.2 regarding street names on the map.

Formerly I saw usefully many street names, especially of forthcoming major cross streets. Now I see almost none, with just these two exceptions:

1. the name of the street name I'm driving on is shown in the lower right corner of the screen.
2. the names of streets the current navigation expects me to turn are shown (usefully) at the turn location on the map.

I imagined there was a setting for this that either I or the software update changed, and I went looking, but could not find a relevant user control.

Anyone else?

I see a change I don't like that I think showed up with 2023.27.6/FSDb 11.4.7.2 regarding street names on the map.

Formerly I saw usefully many street names, especially of forthcoming major cross streets. Now I see almost none, with just these two exceptions:

1. the name of the street name I'm driving on is shown in the lower right corner of the screen.
2. the names of streets the current navigation expects me to turn are shown (usefully) at the turn location on the map.

I imagined there was a setting for this that either I or the software update changed, and I went looking, but could not find a relevant user control.

Anyone else?
Might be related to the maps update? I haven’t gotten this latest version yet but I did get the maps update to 2023.20.

That maps update sucked, since then whenever the car is "offline" for some reason , like if it has a flaky Wifi connection, it will route my work commute to the middle of nowhere. When it's online the directions are fine, presumably using Google Maps or Tesla Maps or whatever it is these days. The offline and online routing no longer agree with each other on where the address is.

Might be related to the maps update? I haven’t gotten this latest version yet but I did get the maps update to 2023.20.
The model 3 on which I made this complaint observation is currently on 2023.20-14566 maps. and on 2023.27.6/FSDb 11.4.7.2 software.

I just checked our model Y. It still shows lots of street names, especially when one is zoomed in with a route active.
The model Y is currently on 2022.44-14315 maps, and on 2023.7.30/FSDb 11.4.7 software.

Last edited:
I don't think the downloaded maps affect the visuals AFAIK, like what street names show up. They're used as a fallback for turn-by-turn routing when the car doesn't have an Internet connection. But Tesla has definitely been fiddling the maps and navigation code recently. There have been a lot of enhancements around POIs like the "closing soon" feature, and the map view is being changed to zoom in on complex junctions or something.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Got four dry wipes today on HW4 11.4.7.2. Wipers definitely not fixed.

After working in Japan for awhile, I learned to dislike dry wipes.

Joe
So rubbish. It was hopeless yesterday for me in Seattle. Auto wipers are flat-out broken. I have to manually put them onto intermittent and then turn them off as necessary.