Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
intersting juxtaposition with the complaints above saying it drives too much in the center.
I just call it how I see it. There were two specific instances on unmarked WIDE streets (could be four lanes easily in Europe, lol), where it just drove where people would normally be parked which is inappropriate.

And then there was the turn, where it was doing that, and it just tried to clip the truck (an exaggeration, since I did not disengage and it did not clip the truck) which is always parked there. I am used to that nonsense on that curve since it always takes the wrong line, and hold the wheel firmly, but it was probably a foot or so closer this time. It’s possible that it was so close that if it had jerked the wheel on me it would have collided even as it disengaged. But it doesn’t usually do that and of course I am firmly steering to the left to reduce risk. Any passenger would be irate. The distance was similar to what you would routinely have on English city streets to parked cars - so completely terrifying to a passenger in this case.

Last edited:
What I'd really like to see now is merging safely into really slow rush hour traffic. Now FSD screams by 10-20mph rush hour traffic wanting to go 50 mph in the zip lane.
Do you know what happens at the end of the zip? Does it slam on the brakes if it doesn't find a gap? I similarly disengage but mostly to avoid confusing other drivers thinking I'm trying to aggressively cut ahead, and the traffic I'm merging into typically isn't that slow anyway.

But then again 11.x has done some similarly aggressive(?) maneuvers such as on staying in the right lane on an interstate where around 10 cars already switched left to avoid the semi truck ahead, but FSD Beta happily stayed in the right lane until following the truck and patiently waited for an opening and got in after 3 cars passed. Maybe this is the right behavior as it makes better use of the road and no worse than being the last one to pass the truck?

I expect your particular situation for zipper merges to be different with 12.x, so hopefully we'll see something next month.

I had few days and few hundred km on the .2 release so far.

+ The car accelerates more assertively from a stop. This is is good, since I often had to tap on the acc when cars were following me closely.
+ It does better job staying on the road during nights when we are on 2-way roads with good centerlines but no side lines.
+ Dry wipes are completely gone! We are driving 400km today and looks like there's gonna be some rain. Let's see if wet wipes work well.
+ I noticed that the Nav now picks slightly slower route (1 min slower) but a shorter one (with a chance to choose). This is good, as I often start driving manually just to force certain routes.
- Still did that crazy all-of-a-sudden entering the left line to go into the hospital(!) when we were supposed to go straight...
- Not new, but I wish if it signals a bit faster, especially when it is driving fast, about to turn left. It always slows down first, then signals. I disengage if there's a car following me in these situations.
+/- Turns are a bit more aggressive but it remains to be seen if this is plus or minus for me.
? I could be wrong but does anyone notice if the main rear view camera view is more clear now? Similar to how Tesla adjusted the filter on the two little side views when you reverse. Regardless, I feel can see more now when it is dark.

For me, this release is slightly better than the one before, but that was my expectation to begin with, so I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
Does your car not move to the right when it detects a car coming the other direction?
Much too late, enough to make the oncoming car think I’m trying to force them into the ditch. On these rural roads people expect more separation. The no-longer-adjustable following distance is uncomfortably close. Starting a corrective maneuver from the middle of the road is a real problem on curvy roads when by the time the oncoming is visible it’s too late to get over safely. The middle of the road is a bad place to be. Having said that, I do have a wavy downhill after my driveway with great visibility and I often drive down in a straight line so maybe I’m part of the problem in the data set.

Also what @hybridbear said.

Reactions: hybridbear
Anyone having dry wipes, but only at night? On 2023.30.4 Thursday and Friday nights I had a few dry wipes. Last night on 2023.30.6 also had dry wipes. Bad enough I had to shut the wipers off. The only thing I can think is it’s due to lack of light? Have to see how it does in daylight.

intersting juxtaposition with the complaints above saying it drives too much in the center.

I've noticed it in unmarked roads like neighborhoods with roadside parked vehicles. It's most obvious when a car is parked on the same side as I'm traveling. FSD begins by marking a min separation from the curb and so is on a collision course with the parked car ahead and at the last moment slightly corrects to narrowly miss the parked vehicle. But there's no traffic and no parked cars on the other side of the road to warrant such close separation. Of course reasons to give more separation is opening car doors or a child walking/running around the parked car.

Much like over training from Chuck's UPL, this feels like boiler plate planning necessary for extreme scenarios like the NorCal Berkeley hills neighborhood where cars are parked on both sides of the road and there's only room for one car to drive through.

Here's an example of how ridiculous it has become. FSD tries to keep a min distance from parked vehicles so it swerves in/out almost hitting the larger parked pickup at about the 25 seconds mark. It's an uncomfortable robotic perversion of driving. I tried to find it in Whole Mars Catalog utube channel but that boy pumps out videos like a street walker goes through guys.

Last edited:
Do you know what happens at the end of the zip? Does it slam on the brakes if it doesn't find a gap? I similarly disengage but mostly to avoid confusing other drivers thinking I'm trying to aggressively cut ahead, and the traffic I'm merging into typically isn't that slow anyway.

But then again 11.x has done some similarly aggressive(?) maneuvers such as on staying in the right lane on an interstate where around 10 cars already switched left to avoid the semi truck ahead, but FSD Beta happily stayed in the right lane until following the truck and patiently waited for an opening and got in after 3 cars passed. Maybe this is the right behavior as it makes better use of the road and no worse than being the last one to pass the truck?

I expect your particular situation for zipper merges to be different with 12.x, so hopefully we'll see something next month.
I've only let FSD continue in the zip lane once in this scenario and I disengaged when we approached the end of the zip lane when FSD finally realized it was running out of lane. I wasn't sure what FSD was going to do so didn't wanted to chance it. I do find the assertive setting helps when merging.

FSD has certainly improved merging to the highway just not when merging into really slow traffick from my experience.

I've noticed it in unmarked roads like neighborhoods with roadside parked vehicles. It's most obvious when a car is parked on the same side as I'm traveling. FSD begins by marking a min separation from the curb and so is on a collision course with the parked car ahead and at the last moment slightly corrects to narrowly miss the parked vehicle. But there's no traffic and no parked cars on the other side of the road to warrant such close separation. Of course reasons to give more separation is opening car doors or a child walking/running around the parked car.

Much like over training from Chuck's UPL, this feels like boiler plate planning necessary for extreme scenarios like the NorCal Berkeley hills neighborhood where cars are parked on both sides of the road and there's only room for one car to drive through.

Here's an example of how ridiculous it has become. FSD tries to keep a min distance from parked vehicles so it swerves in/out almost hitting the larger parked pickup at about the 25 seconds mark. It's an uncomfortable robotic perversion of driving. I tried to find it in Whole Mars Catalog utube channel but that boy pumps out videos like a street walker goes through guys.

I can't believe anyone watches that shills videos anymore. Why did you watch it? You know the spin is always, "It's mind-blowing... no interventions..."

I can't believe anyone watches that shills videos anymore. Why did you watch it? You know the spin is always, "It's mind-blowing... no interventions..."
Shills wouldn't put out such videos - they would self-censor them ;)

But of course he sucks up to Elon (he makes a lot of money from YT and Twitter from this sucking up). Such is the life of YT influencers.

PS : A more accurate, nuanced way to put it is he is a pro-Tesla bull. Just like a lot of other pro-Tesla YT folks.

If you get the update, don't forget to check for map updates afterwards. I am getting mine now after I got the holiday update installed yesterday.
Maps going from 2023.20 -> 2023.44 (> 2x better!)

I got the 30.5.1 update yesterday and the map update is downloading now.

I hope this fixes the problem I had on Thursday with the 30.2 update. I was on FSD for about 170 miles on I-10 and at least 4 times the car suddenly decided the speed limit was 50 mph. I drive this stretch frequently and never experienced this before.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1