Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Walk of shame, I'm there. Now the Autopilot screen actually states you lose both Autosteer beta and FSDb for 5 such misanthropic events. Our non-FSDb car just states you lose the Autosteer beta after 5 such events. Neither says for how long you lose those prepaid privileges. Anyone know if the suspension time has changed?

I did get both back yesterday, after one week, so there's that.
Drive of shame!

You are "supposed" to keep checking your mirrors when driving ( i.e. that is what I was taught and do). That said, one thing this forum has taught me is that there is a lot of variability in driving styles.

It would be nice if the car told you what it thinks you are doing wrong. My car now only nags me if my hand is near my face for too long, or if I tilt my head to the right for too long. Why? Who knows. I miss thoughtfully stroking my imaginary beard while driving.

I used to get strikes all the time, now I never do. I don't think I'm doing anything different. 🤷‍♂️ I hope the next update doesn't put me back in the strikes-all-the-time club.
Yah, about scanning through front windshield, rear view mirrors, the side windows (occasionally), and the dash/speedometer. It's basic driver's ed from (for me) the late 60's.

I've noticed that if one looks at the screen for more than a couple-three seconds one gets warning notes; same if the steering wheel doesn't get torqued back and forth. And on the latter, if one is scanning away, one notices that there's that blue warning blush on the screen before it goes 'Strike!' on one.

There must be some car-to-car variation playing along in here, so that some people get a strike on the drop of a hot while others simply don't. On the one strike I did get, recently, it was obvious: eyes on the screen for 10-20 seconds, with multiple boops leading up to the strike warning me to Stop That.

Heh. Once in a great while I raise the possibility that Tesla is trying different parameter sets or coding on different cars to get More Data on how stuff works. This might be one of those times..

Yah, about scanning through front windshield, rear view mirrors, the side windows (occasionally), and the dash/speedometer. It's basic driver's ed from (for me) the late 60's.

I've noticed that if one looks at the screen for more than a couple-three seconds one gets warning notes; same if the steering wheel doesn't get torqued back and forth. And on the latter, if one is scanning away, one notices that there's that blue warning blush on the screen before it goes 'Strike!' on one.

There must be some car-to-car variation playing along in here, so that some people get a strike on the drop of a hot while others simply don't. On the one strike I did get, recently, it was obvious: eyes on the screen for 10-20 seconds, with multiple boops leading up to the strike warning me to Stop That.

Heh. Once in a great while I raise the possibility that Tesla is trying different parameter sets or coding on different cars to get More Data on how stuff works. This might be one of those times..
For the Pay Attention warnings, more likely that some faces are not tracked as well as others. Different shapes, complexions and types of glasses can all make a difference in how well the face tracking NN performs. I don't think I've read any posts from someone claiming that the face tracking works differently for them across multiple cars. In my case, it works well in a M3 and MY. And the M3 has no IR illuminators.

For the Pay Attention warnings, more likely that some faces are not tracked as well as others. Different shapes, complexions and types of glasses can all make a difference in how well the face tracking NN performs. I don't think I've read any posts from someone claiming that the face tracking works differently for them across multiple cars. In my case, it works well in a M3 and MY. And the M3 has no IR illuminators.
I think people most likely just have their heads down. It’s interesting how people drive. But yes, most likely there are a few exceptions, based on seating position/height, etc. Would expect to be quite rare though.

It’s true that they cannot train to a specific face, like Face ID or similar, though.

What I meant was that Tesla may be pushing 2.2.1. to non subscribers to buy time for the V12 version meaning, yes, 2.2.1 has 11.4.9 but subscribers weren’t getting it because we’d get 2.2.2 with V12.

I raised the point because I have yet to get it and neither have any of my friends that have FSD but those of my friends that aren’t subscribers already got 2.2.1.

Reactions: rlsd
What I meant was that Tesla may be pushing 2.2.1. to non subscribers to buy time for the V12 version meaning, yes, 2.2.1 has 11.4.9 but subscribers weren’t getting it because we’d get 2.2.2 with V12.

I raised the point because I have yet to get it and neither have any of my friends that have FSD but those of my friends that aren’t subscribers already got 2.2.1.
Interesting theory. I had originally dismissed it out of hand since Tesla shows no hesitancy to roll out new versions. So, I would expect that they would simply send a new version out when V12 is ready with no need to 'buy time'.

However, I am in the same situation that my non-FSD car has gotten 2024.2.2.1, but my FSD car has not. And I was in the FSD beta test branch before the holiday merge.

So, it is possible (though I still think unlikely) that Tesla is preparing a V12 version based on 2023.44.30 to push out to some, or all, current FSD subscribers. This would allow them to reestablish the development branch again. If this is the case, then they would not want to push 2024.2.2.1 to us because they do not revert to older software versions.

So, has anyone previously on the FSD beta test branch gotten the new software?

Interesting theory. I had originally dismissed it out of hand since Tesla shows no hesitancy to roll out new versions. So, I would expect that they would simply send a new version out when V12 is ready with no need to 'buy time'.

However, I am in the same situation that my non-FSD car has gotten 2024.2.2.1, but my FSD car has not. And I was in the FSD beta test branch before the holiday merge.

So, it is possible (though I still think unlikely) that Tesla is preparing a V12 version based on 2023.44.30 to push out to some, or all, current FSD subscribers. This would allow them to reestablish the development branch again. If this is the case, then they would not want to push 2024.2.2.1 to us because they do not revert to older software versions.

So, has anyone previously on the FSD beta test branch gotten the new software?
For what it's worth, over at TeslaFi, they're currently labeling the 2024.2.2.1 release as an 11.4.9 FSD variant. That strongly implies that 11.4.9 is included and working.

At the moment TeslaFi is showing 17.6% of all the Teslas they monitor have been updated. Further, they're snagging users of both 2023.44.30.8 (which is the US pile of software) and the 2023.44.30.9 variant, which has been non-US. So it looks like We're All A-Gonna Be on 2024.2.2.1 in relatively short order, excluding the hold-outs.

Since we're talking a little less than 20% of the rollout right now and knowing just how random Tesla tends to be on which car gets updated when, I'd suggest that your FSD car not being updated is simply a matter of the dice not coming up in your favor as of yet. Patience, Grasshopper 😁 .

Reactions: FSDtester#1
For what it's worth, over at TeslaFi, they're currently labeling the 2024.2.2.1 release as an 11.4.9 FSD variant. That strongly implies that 11.4.9 is included and working.

At the moment TeslaFi is showing 17.6% of all the Teslas they monitor have been updated. Further, they're snagging users of both 2023.44.30.8 (which is the US pile of software) and the 2023.44.30.9 variant, which has been non-US. So it looks like We're All A-Gonna Be on 2024.2.2.1 in relatively short order, excluding the hold-outs.

Since we're talking a little less than 20% of the rollout right now and knowing just how random Tesla tends to be on which car gets updated when, I'd suggest that your FSD car not being updated is simply a matter of the dice not coming up in your favor as of yet. Patience, Grasshopper 😁 .
Whatever version Tesla rolls out will have FSD included, which would be 11.4.9 at this time. Otherwise, people would not be able to subscribe or purchase FSD and use it right away.

And, until someone who was on the development branch reports getting this new version, it is possible that those of us who were on it are being held back in anticipation of a 2023.44.30.x release with V12. Personally, I would love to see this, though I still don't think we will see V12 before April. But, if Tesla is planning to start rolling out V12 very soon, that would be a sensible way to do it.

Reactions: rlsd