Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is the GOOD part, he said in a later tweet that he has uploaded over 15GB worth of data from his Tesla and that it keeps sending more every time!

This is good I suppose. I didn't know they were taking this much data from them. It's strange tesla hasn't already tested it themselves and eliminated the stuff he encountered previously though. Those weren't uncommon or difficult situations.

I get that but I've already seen cars driving themselves on youtube. Even teslas.
You haven't seen before this update of a soon to be released public beta of Tesla's:
  1. making turns on city streets
  2. auto lane change on city streets
  3. Going without driver input on green lights and stop signs
  4. Passing pedestrians and bikers on narrow two lane streets.

I have a suspicion/hunch/gut feeling that current FSD beta does a better job after sunset (in the dark).
Just watching the videos from different people at night and during the day, the car seems to be "less sure" during the day. (it also could be just a perception thing, where I get distracted in the daytime videos with stuff that pops up in the display or environment)

Also, think it is possible that the very first releases were given to folks right after the earnings call ~7 pm knowing the fans would try it out immediately and first videos would be in the dark.

Last edited:
I have a suspicion/hunch/gut feeling that current FSD beta does a better job after sunset (in the dark).
Just watching the videos from different people at night and during the day, the car seems to be "less sure" during the day. (it also could be just a perception thing, where I get distracted in the daytime videos with stuff that pops up in the display or environment)

Also, think it is possible that the very first releases were given to folks right after the earnings call ~7 pm knowing the fans would try it out immediately and first videos would be in the dark.

Maybe vehicles are more visible at night because their lights are on.

I think they also selected people based on locations. So far it's all very nice driving. I want to see someone try this in NY. It would fail but that's the kind of data they want.

Reactions: willow_hiller
@diplomat33 are there any videos of Waymo doing long commutes including freeways/highways? I've seen at least one of the riders report that it appeared that Waymo specifically went out of it's way to avoid freeways/highways. Is that part of the ODD restrictions? (Chandler excluding freeways/highways?)

For example this ~1 hour, ~68 mile, round trip in a FSD enabled Tesla:

At least one of the disengagements didn't look necessary to me, it was just the driver being overly cautious. (Another was in a parking lot...)

Most of his "interventions" were either just hitting the accelerator to go faster, or to force lane changes both due to driver preferences, not anything it was doing "wrong."

The colorful images are great to help assure FSD is actively working but will they be in the final rollout? This would be pretty distracting after awhile. Maybe you'll be able to turn it off after the initial OMG response dies down.
At least 2 people on twitter with the beta said that Tesla told them the display is temporary during the beta.
It will look like a cooler version of the current displays that we are used to.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
No one doubted you can have a system with only camera that was capable of performing all the functions of driving on the road. We have seen dozens of Mobileye videos with absolutely NO lidar or radar. What we are saying is, its currently impossible to get the reliability to around ~1 million miles per disengagement using only cameras. The videos being posted actually proves our points.

1. No, there were plenty of people, calling FSD vaporware.
2. I have not stated that I believe that the current FSD beta is anywhere near Waymo (geofenced) in reliability at this moment. I agree with you, it's likely near 10 miles or less in disengagement.
3. I don't know what the future holds, Elon may be wrong about reaching 1 million miles per disengagement.
4. If I remember right, you last year referred to Investor day as a mere trick pony show and that Elons claims about FSD were blatant lies made to pump the stock valuation. This was back in the good old days when you and Diplomat used to argue all day long. While FSD beta is a small step, and Elon has been terribly wrong on some of his predictions, I'm still optimistic about where they go from here.

Here's an SAE question. Do vehicles need to be able to handle literally every conceivable domain before they can be deemed level 5? The second they can't handle X type of road they're level 4? Or would it be sufficient to say that if the car can travel from any arbitrary point A to any arbitrary point B in any conditions, it's level 5?

I could imagine Tesla determining FSD isn't great at handling certain road conditions, and just routes around them.
Add unprotected left turns to the list of FSD-beta capabilities.

This guy doesn’t seem like a very safe driver. He has the car set to go faster than the rest of he traffic.

also I don’t think I have the balls for this version of fsd.