Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1329442069488824329
upload_2020-11-19_10-20-54.png

I'll be very thankful to get into the FSD Beta!

Seems most obvious new area of functionality would be reverse summon....which would mean they're finally updating the auto-park code from like 2014 that doesn't use the cameras at all and takes 10 minutes to back into a spot :)
LOL! True. I've used auto-park once. ONCE! I had cars years ago that ran circles around Tesla's auto-park functionality. I could almost get out and PUSH my car into a spot faster than auto-park can do it.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
The craziest thing about fsd beta is they can't release it to the entire fleet until it can consistently handle the worst traffic conditions in our densest cities (because it can be enabled in these situations). A shoddy fleet release would get the NHTSA knocking at the door. At this point, it seems that the fsd beta is very far from fleet release, but Elon is essentially saying it's sooner than we think. The pace of improvement is awesome and has to be "orders of magnitude" faster than the competition.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dutchie
The craziest thing about fsd beta is they can't release it to the entire fleet until it can consistently handle the worst traffic conditions in our densest cities (because it can be enabled in these situations). A shoddy fleet release would get the NHTSA knocking at the door. At this point, it seems that the fsd beta is very far from fleet release, but Elon is essentially saying it's sooner than we think. The pace of improvement is awesome and has to be "orders of magnitude" faster than the competition.

There you go again, we zero idea what 'the competition' is, what their tech and progress consists of.
But you keep insisting on projecting your tesla bubbled mind on others.

There you go again, we zero idea what 'the competition' is, what their tech and progress consists of.

Tesla can be behind currently, still end up behind in the end, but yet have their current rate of improvement be "orders of magnitude" faster than competition.

It's quite logical based on their likely relatively poor disengagement rate and massive amount of data coming in that this would happen.

Doesn't mean they have to asymptote at a better disengagement rate than competition though.

The craziest thing about fsd beta is that Elon can release it whenever he chooses. AP can already be engaged in many unsafe scenarios on city streets and there's currently no strict regulation in the US to stop him. Whether he should release it is each person's own opinion but he gets the final call. Must be a fun meeting where these decisions are made!

5efTGyP.png

Keep in mind that widening beta does not mean it will go out to everybody at once. It just means that Tesla will send out FSD Beta to more people. Based on this tweet, I think it is possible that we could get a wider release by the end of the year.
So, is the current state that everyone who is in EAP still don't have FSD beta ? Or are they going to actually expand EAP ...

It is quite clear some companies like Waymo are way better in their own way. But those companies are betting *everything* on a robotaxi. Among manufacturers putting these features in customer cars, Tesla is definitely ahead in terms of functionality/features - from what I know.

Has anybody compiled a list of features each manufacturer supports ?

So, looks like I need that Thanksgiving FSD update to be good in order to have a hope of getting into the beta... (follow up to the same thread linked above)
]

As soon as the beta reaches a wider audience, watch all the "I want to get the beta" messages here change into "The isnt baked! It doesn't do xxx! It's useless!" complaints :)

As soon as the beta reaches a wider audience, watch all the "I want to get the beta" messages here change into "The isnt baked! It doesn't do xxx! It's useless!" complaints :)
For all those people, I still have an AP1 Model X (powered by the "awesome"/"experienced" Mobileye) that anyone who has any concerns I can take on a few interstate drives in NC and SC. They can bask in the "fully" bakedness of it.

... A shoddy fleet release would get the NHTSA knocking at the door. ...
One of the traits of Elon that I admire most, is how he is quick to mock the government. He is going to have everyone knocking and he is just going to laugh at them. If someone doesn't want it , then they should turn it off, or not enable it in the first place. Will probably come with some glaring warnings.

I'm mostly interested for one feature. At traffic controlled lights, I don't have to stare at the dam light. Tesla will awake me when it is time to pay attention.

He is going to have everyone knocking and he is just going to laugh at them. If someone doesn't want it , then they should turn it off, or not enable it in the first place. Will probably come with some glaring warnings.

Yes, but I think there are definite limits to what Elon and Tesla can get away with. With the two highly publicized AP deaths, the drivers were clearly not paying attention whatsoever (one was watching a movie and the other was playing games). If the drivers had paid attention but died regardless, I'm sure there would have been some government-enforced changes to AP.

With the FSD beta, Tesla would have a much steeper hill to climb to justify that an accident was the driver's fault. We've seen the fsd beta do maneuvers that require split second decision making on behalf of the driver.

Elon and Tesla understand there's a fine line to walk with the FSD beta. With AP as only lane keeping and TACC, it's similar to what other mfgers are offering, so the responsibility is spread out and more entrenched. With the FSD beta, it's essentially an autonomous car, where there's no precedent in a wide roll out to consumers.

Last edited: