Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Q4 Earnings Call

Elon: "V12 is a complete architectural rewrite compared to prior versions, end-to-end artificial intelligence, so nothing but nets basically, photons in and controls out."

Elon: "We will be rolling out V12 to all customers in the US who request FSD in the weeks to come, that's over 400,000 vehicles in North America"
'nothing but nets' or 'nothing but net' ?

Elon couldn't say much about dojo progress in the earnings call. Rather, they are hedging with significant NVDA GPU orders. He admits FSD progress depends on training/data. He says 'dojo is a long shot but worth taking.' No wonder dojo infrastructure staff left the company and the company avoided comments for Q4.

Note to self - buy more NVDA. :)

well, he's always been Elon's b*tch...

Do they want someone grounded or someone who will gush about how incredible it is? I'd rather have someone grounded. I suspect Tesla would rather not.
It's more likely that Chuck is in FL and perhaps V12's training is not as robust in that region. If he doesn't get the next version of V12, then your supposition might have credibility.

That's not the purpose of giving it to Whole Mars. HIs whole purpose for Tesla is to highlight the strengths, not test the product like Chuck does. Others are doing that internally.
Tesla also knows Chuck is a commercial airline pilot and with his schedule he is not always available to post videos right away. While Whole Mars has many negatives the one fact Tesla knows is he can pump out videos faster than anyone else.

It's more likely that Chuck is in FL and perhaps V12's training is not as robust in that region. If he doesn't get the next version of V12, then your supposition might have credibility.
The very first thing Chuck will test is his unprotected left. If the software isn't yet trained for that, there's no point in sending it to him. You guys have talked about Tesla having drivers recently doing something with his left turn, so perhaps they're trying to package something up for him. As a nice surprise for Chuck, maybe they'll get his u-turn working as well.

The whole "every car can turn into a computer to contribute" thing Elon goes off on is ridiculous.

I first heard it on a podcast and he presented it like, "how cool would it be if we could do that"...
This is called “distributed computing”. It’s very much a real thing, and very likely a very lucrative thing. Pixar uses it to render its movies on “render farms”. Numerical weather forecasting models use it to crunch numbers and get new weather forecasts as quickly as possible. Stock analysis firms use it.

Why again is it ridiculous?

I thought about this in December of 2012 when I got my first Tesla and wondered why it took so long for them to finally think about this.

Years ago I set up my personal computer as a distributed computing node as part of the “SETI@Home” project, which used the personal computing resources of thousands of idle, privately-owned computers to analyze radio signals from outer space and, through Fourier Transforms and other tricks, identify if any of them contained any interesting signs of extraterrestrial intelligent life.

It’s not ridiculous and makes perfect sense, and could actually be a service that Tesla opens. Someone who wants a lot of numbers crunched would hire Tesla for a computing job. If you agree, Tesla will use your FSD computer to do calculations while your car is parked in your garage. In return, Tesla pays you, in the form of Supercharger credits, or literally credits your account. Meanwhile Tesla skims a bit off the top. Millions of distributed GPUs available when needed—all reachable from Tesla’s servers. I can’t think of a single other company that could do this.

I would jump at that deal as a Tesla owner, and I think many people would.

Last edited:
This is called “distributed computing”. It’s very much a real thing, and very likely a very lucrative thing. Pixar uses it to render its movies on “render farms”. Numerical weather forecasting models use it to crunch numbers and get new weather forecasts as quickly as possible. Stock analysis firms use it.

Why again is it ridiculous?
1) Because the customer car is not Tesla's property nor uses Tesla's electricity. You need to wake up quite a bit more than the FSD-chip (CAN-bus controllers, cellular etc), so I am not quite sure of how energy efficient this would be. Tesla needs to pay the customer for this, unless there is an army of stupid fan-boys giving Tesla consent for free.
2) The chip is designed for inference and not training.
3) In ML you need silly amounts of data to train. Should this data be transferred to the car, or have the in-car computer use cellular to make thousands of high latency remote calls? Given the former, it would be limited by car storage/cost and the latter would be too slow. The same goes for many other compute-intensive problems.

All in all, it's a stupid idea that some fool asked at an earnings call back in 2019-2020 and Elon is still running with it.

Last edited: