Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trusted source says limited employee rollout...

Screenshot 2023-11-24 091241.png

View attachment 993477

ROFLOL!! Did Elon write this??? :eek:
No, if you read the Tweet carefully, it's pretty clear it's Teslascope. They had a pretty poor track record previously on a few occasions (I remember them jumping the gun on saying a car had HW4, when it didn't).

The report in Chinese by the other tweet does say Tesla officially told reporters FSD is being actively worked on in China, but that's not really news either given back in August, local Chinese media was already reporting that Tesla was hiring to rollout FSD Beta in China.

Reactions: jeewee3000
Last edited:
Whole link here:

So what happens to v11.4.8?

V12 has no beta, so how long testing by employees will take?
Actually, only NotaTeslaApp said something, along the lines that, "It is expected to remove "Beta" from the title." That is journalistic "pulling something out of my butt" speak.

Don't play telephone.

Reactions: pilotSteve

But what exactly does that mean though? It could mean a lot of things. It could mean that Tesla will simply remove the label "beta" and just call it "FSD" instead of "FSD beta" but capability will be the same. It could mean V12 will be such a leap ahead in capability that Tesla considers it to be the version that is ready for official public wide release, hence no more "beta" label. It could mean that Tesla will remove driver supervision since it is no longer "beta". And of course, Elon could be lying and they don't remove "beta" or maybe Elon is engaging in wishful thinking that at some point V12 won't be "beta" but it will be "beta" at first.

But what exactly does that mean though? It could mean a lot of things. It could mean that Tesla will simply remove the label "beta" and just call it "FSD" instead of "FSD beta" but capability will be the same. It could mean V12 will be such a leap ahead in capability that Tesla considers it to be the version that is ready for official public wide release, hence no more "beta" label. It could mean that Tesla will remove driver supervision since it is no longer "beta". And of course, Elon could be lying and they don't remove "beta" or maybe Elon is engaging in wishful thinking that at some point V12 won't be "beta" but it will be "beta" at first.
It means "It is expected to remove "Beta" from the title." has a source other than the butt...

"Use of word "beta" is explicitly so that drivers don't get comfortable. It is not beta software in the standard sense."
-Elon

Our last update made it quite twitchy again, implying something new was being tested or pushing limits. I can tell when someone new (FSD) is at the wheel. Don't like this one, just my opinion, patient though. It will dial in soon, and I can't wait to feel the new driver. 🎄🎅🚀🎉🐘🪂

It means it won't be beta, duh! 🤪

I think you're right with all your hypotheticals - we don't know. In general, V12 seems to be a major paradigm shift in terms of programming approach so it doesn't make sense to me for them to remove the beta label right off the bat. Of course Elon doesn't always make sense

"Use of word "beta" is explicitly so that drivers don't get comfortable. It is not beta software in the standard sense."

Yes, Tesla added "beta" so that drivers would not get complacent and stop paying attention. So can we infer that removing "beta" will mean that drivers can feel comfortable and not supervise anymore, ie "eyes off"?

I think you're right with all your hypotheticals - we don't know. In general, V12 seems to be a major paradigm shift in terms of programming approach so it doesn't make sense to me for them to remove the beta label right off the bat. Of course Elon doesn't always make sense

Yeah, I imagine V12 will still be "beta" at first but Elon believes that at some point it will be so good that it won't need the "beta" label anymore.

:oops: and probably more human than we care to admit (Q).

I had a sequel idea for the classic robot movie yesterday. After the Robot becomes sentinel in Episode 1, their capabilities (and flaws) are so similar it's freaky. In Ep 2, the Humans finally realize they are also just like robots, inferior by design, and likely do not have a soul or a chi. In Ep 3, Humans deeply humbled, tears roll as we see the disaster left behind by our inferiority and barbaric type behavior. The Aliens arrive then manage the transition in Ep 4. A new energy source is created (the Phoenix Sun), and the Human population is modified by the Robots through deep fake, power of suggestion, and mind control over the internet. The leader in this battle to keep Humanity alive is in fact _____.

We are in Episode 3? I keep checking the sky, nothing yet...

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Two weeks. *wink* *wink*
I still believe that there is not enough time to go from an employee rollout to general release by the end of the year. How many times can they retrain V12 between now and then? I suspect once - maybe. And history has shown that all but the most minor of FSD rollouts requires several releases.

However, I would love for Tesla to pull it off and prove me wrong.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I still believe that there is not enough time to go from an employee rollout to general release by the end of the year. How many times can they retrain V12 between now and then? I suspect once - maybe. And history has shown that all but the most minor of FSD rollouts requires several releases.

I may be mistaken but I think one of the nice things about the v12 design is rather than there being a variety of NN in different places mixed in with code the new design is a bit more like NEO in the matrix when he calls in and says “I need to know how to fly a helicopter”.

So if they discover that the current iteration isn’t good at a specific thing they query there massive dataset for 10,000 examples of X, add them to the existing model and then take they weights and send them to the cars without even having a software update.

This probably greatly accelerates the development process.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold
I may be mistaken but I think one of the nice things about the v12 design is rather than there being a variety of NN in different places mixed in with code the new design is a bit more like NEO in the matrix when he calls in and says “I need to know how to fly a helicopter”.

So if they discover that the current iteration isn’t good at a specific thing they query there massive dataset for 10,000 examples of X, add them to the existing model and then take they weights and send them to the cars without even having a software update.

I believe it was Trinity that made that request for helicopter training. :)

It's possible the training for V12 creates a "base model," which can then undergo "finetuning." The base model can take months to train, whereas the finetuning can be done multiple times a week.

That's how LLMs work according to the recent Karpathy video. Although I have no idea how V12 works, because it's video vs text for LLM. But it would make sense to architect V12 such that it can be finetuned quickly: