Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haste makes waste. V12.2.1 attempts to go around a long line of vehicles on a blind curve.

This is a disqualifying move. Keep the testing in house with paid professional drivers.

I don't want some casual owner to be checking their mirror and then this happens, crashing head on into my kids.

I'm done with Tesla and this smoke and mirrors charade. Turn it all off before more people get killed.

Seriously, people, we've lost all context here. FSD is patently unsafe.

For all the "never cross" a double yellow liners how do you handle the following 2 scenarios, both from this morning (sorry, shi$$y HW3 camera)?

In the first I'm turning into a mall (FSD disengaged for safety) and you must use the VERY top part of the left turn lane. If FSD 11.x does it (only if no one is turning in front of me or coming up behind for safety) it passes the yellow and then angles in and leaves its a$$ dangerously blocking the left lane. And of course with a car turning in front on me there is 0 choice other than to pass up the turn completely.

For that specific example, it looks like you have plenty of room to turn in at the dotted line?
In the 2ed FSD engaged and double parked cars 100% of the time from early morning to late evening (privileged golf course). So what to do? Stop in the road and wait 10 hours for the spaces to clear?

For this example it looks like you can straddle the double yellow without fully crossing.
For double parked, I guess you wouldn't have much choice but to cross unless there was someone in the car, but you run the risk of getting a ticket and getting hit by oncoming traffic (then you would be at fault).

For all the "never cross" a double yellow liners how do you handle the following 2 scenarios, both from this morning (sorry, shi$$y HW3 camera)?

In the first I'm turning into a mall (FSD disengaged for safety) and you must use the VERY top part of the left turn lane. If FSD 11.x does it (only if no one is turning in front of me or coming up behind for safety) it passes the yellow and then angles in and leaves its a$$ dangerously blocking the left lane. And of course with a car turning in front on me there is 0 choice other than to pass up the turn completely.

In the 2ed FSD engaged and double parked cars 100% of the time from early morning to late evening (privileged golf course). So what to do? Stop in the road and wait 10 hours for the spaces to clear?

I encourage you to flag down a police officer (I usually find them at local gas stations) and ask them your questions. You can also call your local police station and ask for a traffic officer, then ask your questions.

Dan responded on this topic that the likely correct move would be to avoid the turn, if it's full, and take the next turn. As for the parked cars, I'd say you have to drive quite close to those cars to avoid crossing the double-yellow. Again, ask a local officer for the correct and legal maneuver.

Was able to drive v12 for first time in LA area yesterday.

Good
1. Smoother
2. More human like
3. On Autospeed it remains way under normal speed limits. Not a problem when I manually increase the speed limit. It then remained at the higher speed I set. Nice.
4. Glad I updated

Bad
1. Changed its mind at very last minute to take an exit off Hwy 101 and turned at last instant while on exit ramp to get back on hwy. Was startling.
2. Did not follow map as expected which was to go straight on a wide city street with 2 straight lanes and 3 left turn lanes. It inappropriately and suddenly got into the middle left turn lane even though I and the map did not want it to go there.
3. Turns blinkers on way too early before turns.
4. And of course last but not least (not Tesla fault) the too long stop at stop signs.

It's worth it, but, as expected, still needs tweaks.

This is a disqualifying move. Keep the testing in house with paid professional drivers.

I don't want some casual owner to be checking their mirror and then this happens, crashing head on into my kids.

I'm done with Tesla and this smoke and mirrors charade. Turn it all off before more people get killed.

Seriously, people, we've lost all context here. FSD is patently unsafe.
What do you think of the argument that partial self driving (PSD) saves lives? In other words the statistics show you are safer using PSD than not? PSD has data to prove it is safer than not using.

Bad
1. Changed its mind at very last minute to take an exit off Hwy 101 and turned at last instant while on exit ramp to get back on hwy. Was startling.
2. Did not follow map as expected which was to go straight on a wide city street with 2 straight lanes and 3 left turn lanes. It inappropriately and suddenly got into the middle left turn lane even though I and the map did not want it to go there.
3. Turns blinkers on way too early before turns.
4. And of course last but not least (not Tesla fault) the too long stop at stop signs.
1. Does v12 have MLC (Minimize Lane Changes)? Either in the menu, or I use the left scroll wheel to the left or right to change profiles (Chill, Average, Assertive), and I enable MLC

2. Planning is still an issue, and has been an issue since they moved from C++ to a NN. Not sure how/when this will improve.

3. I'm really interested in this - is this just a "you can't please everyone" issue? I say that because people have been screaming that the blinkers don't come on soon enough in V11 and previous (which is set to 100 feet). Now it's coming on sooner, and I'm hearing people complain that it's coming on too soon.

4. Again, this may be a "you can't please everyone" issue. Some people don't mind being stopped for 1 or 2 seconds, and some find that an eternity and make claims that it's a safety problem, etc.

Interesting regression. A few versions ago, the car would turn right coming out of my driveway. Although that was the correct direction of the destination, compass-wise, it was wrong because the street dead-ends. This was solved a while ago, but now with V12, it once again goes the wrong way. I allowed it to proceed, and it got to the end of the street and said that it was unable to proceed.

I would have expected this to be related to map data and unrelated to FSD, but apparently not.

Last edited:
As is ALWAYS the case... Highly variable, not reliable or predictable - just "different". Sadly, this has been the case from day #1...
The types of problems 12.x fixes or even regresses have indeed been around for a long time. Some things like incorrectly/unsafely passing stopped traffic was especially bad in some 10.x versions that were improved with later versions. I'm not sure if people experienced this particular issue in 11.x where explicit control logic might have prevented this behavior but then required a disengagement to go around actually parked vehicles?

With end-to-end, if Tesla is really avoiding explicit control heuristics, this then seems to be a question of how variable/reliable/predictable 12.x should be? This uncertainty applies to all driving scenarios, so do you think 12.x needs to be consistent enough in at least some subset before wider release?

Reactions: zoomer0056
V12.2.1 attempts to go around a long line of vehicles on a blind curve
Seems like multiple aspects that it failed to consider although at the moment of turning on the signal to change lanes, the more central camera view probably couldn't see either the black oncoming vehicle (occluded by the lead truck) or the silver vehicle behind it (occluded by the hill):

12.2.1 bad pass.jpg

As you suggested, the visible road and hill should have been enough signal to not attempt an aggressive pass on a blind curve. Additionally, just a couple seconds earlier it had a clear view of the long line of vehicles in front of the truck, so there wouldn't be space to pass ahead anyway. Unclear if current traffic data for showing the red navigation route is an input to FSD, but that could have also been a signal that this is probably not the time to attempt passing.

Seems like shadow mode data collection fix might be relatively straightforward of detecting when 12.x would have switched lanes and 11.x perceives oncoming vehicle within a few seconds. This should at least catch the cases of what would have been a dangerous pass. Although trickier is just because a human didn't pass when it's actually clear isn't necessarily a signal for end-to-end to learn.

Reactions: RabidYak