Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those with experience, what happens when you do tap your accelerator? Does it immediately increase the speed? And how long does it hold for? If a curve is encountered, does it still respect it and slow down, but to a lesser degree?
the speed increases and 'sticks' to where you leave it for a while before decaying back to the slower speed. I end up tapping the accelerator periodically throughout the drive to keep it at the correct speed.

For those with experience, what happens when you do tap your accelerator? Does it immediately increase the speed? And how long does it hold for? If a curve is encountered, does it still respect it and slow down, but to a lesser degree?

Yep, it holds for a random period of time. It's prone to decelerate back below the marked speed limit. Steady state velocity seems okay around normal turns however there are complaints about crossing over center lines around tight mountain turns which may be speed and/or steering related even without tapping accelerator.

Drove this morning with Auto Speed Offset turned off and mixed results. Anecdotal or subjective (hard to make direct comparisons since 2 identical Tesla could drive differently) it seems more speed stable off. It can still be slow but with accelerator it SEEMS to stay at the increased speed more consistently. Still NEEDS 12.3.1 attention.

I'm still having a hell of a time with lane selection. It will continuously ride in the wrong lane and then get over WAY past the time. Here is an example. Was on Techwood heading south and needed to merge to the right. It was in the center lane keep going left utill near there end and then cut across. In fact on this image there is what appears to be a white Tesla doing the same thing mine did this morning. Guess it was trained off this car. 🤪 🤣

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 11.20.34 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnB007
Immediate speed up.

Holds for (?) 30 seconds to a minute.

Does NOT slow down for curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnB007
It wasn't early enough. Now it's so early that I can have my blinker on before I even come into view of the people at the intersection. They have no way of knowing if I left my turn signal on or if I just turned it on. I know that I don't proceed at intersections when I don't see the person's blinker come on. I have to wait for other signs that they're going to commit to their turn.
What's the rule for turn signals? Seems quite individual, like many aspects of driving. Some want it early and some want it late. The only rules we have are traffic laws, which many states have as minimum 100 feet from the turn. This is going to be a goldilocks problem.

What's the rule for turn signals? Seems quite individual, like many aspects of driving. Some want it early and some want it late. The only rules we have are traffic laws, which many states have as minimum 100 feet from the turn. This is going to be a goldilocks problem.
It’s really not.

Just signal correctly.

Signal early, before slowing. It is to signal intent.

If it creates ambiguity, consider waiting if conditions and speeds allow (on a fast road you may want to signal early and position your car and maintain speed to avoid ambiguity while also providing buffer in case someone makes a mistake).

There is more to it than that of course.

But signaling 100 feet before the turn (what v11 seemed to do, if at all) is definitely not enough in many situations - that could easily be less than 2 seconds before you turn.

v12 is better than v11 with this. There may be situations where it is worse than v11, though (just have not seen).

Had my first V12.3 drive for about 30 minutes through suburban Maryland and downtown DC. Overall, very impressed. A couple of disengagements for it choosing the wrong turn lane, but I would say on the whole, it did better than V11. My only slightly concerning disengagement was at this intersection, waiting to turn left:

View attachment 1029900

Cars were backed up, so none of the turning arrows nor the short piece of double-yellow were visible. V12.3 started to go around the backup, and would have ended up on the left side of the double-yellow if I had not disengaged. But without being able to see the arrows or the double yellow, I can see how it thought that would be the left-turn lane and/or a decent space to navigate around a blockage.

Also, question for other city-drivers to ascertain whether V12.3 exhibits region-specific behavior: How good is V12 for you at not "blocking the box?" I was actually very impressed at how V12 would wait on the far side of an intersection or garage entrance if it thought it did not have room to traverse the intersection.
V12.3: Two lane, 25mph straight road with parked cars on both sides squeezing the street. A car is stopped in front of me to back into an open parking spot. I stop. I'm waiting, in no hurry for the parking car to finish and clear the lane. Without instruction from me, my Y turns the blinker on and drives out of the lane and around the obstructing car-- assertively, no creeping, no stop and go. Eerie, as though the machine had formulated a better solution than the one I had adopted and acted upon it.

Yep, that score seems
It's not. The behavior is just broken. It coasts too slowly to the stop, often doesn't stop at the stop line, drifts up to the line slowly, creeps a bit more, then things really long and hard, then goes. The only thing NHTSA requires is a stop at the line

Ah, interesting. My car did not exhibit that behavior. It just waited too long after stopping. I've only had the one drive though. It did not approach stop signs as quickly as I do, but I wouldn't call it's caution excessive. More like how my wife approaches a stop sign.

Reactions: Peter N
It’s really not.

Just signal correctly.

Signal early, before slowing. It is to signal intent.

If it creates ambiguity, consider waiting if conditions and speeds allow (on a fast road you may want to signal early and position your car and maintain speed to avoid ambiguity while also providing buffer in case someone makes a mistake).

There is more to it than that of course.

But signaling 100 feet before the turn (what v11 seemed to do, if at all) is definitely not enough in many situations - that could easily be less than 2 seconds before you turn.

v12 is better than v11 with this. There may be situations where it is worse than v11, though (just have not seen).
The law in MN is 100' prior to turning. That's the law, but then there's the actual intent and purpose of showing your intent to other drivers in a timely fashion. If I'm slowing down to take an exit I turn on my signal so people know why I'm slowing down, even if it's more than 100' ahead. It also reduces the likelihood of accidents from people passing on the right because they also want to take the exit.

Signaling behavior in V11 may have technically been legal but it was not correct, IMO as it didn't communicate well. It would often wait until the very last minute to signal when it was obvious what the car was going to do anyway.

It wasn't early enough. Now it's so early that I can have my blinker on before I even come into view of the people at the intersection. They have no way of knowing if I left my turn signal on or if I just turned it on. I know that I don't proceed at intersections when I don't see the person's blinker come on. I have to wait for other signs that they're going to commit to their turn.
Yes, they overshot the blinking distance by a bit - from too late to now too early but I expect they'll fine tune it soon.