Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does manual speed work as the same way as v11.4.9?
You can uncheck Automatic Set Speed Offset. Then set right scroll wheel for current speed. Then you can manually control speed with the right scroll. However, every time it passes a speed limit sign it will reset to speed limit. You gotta watch it. After all it's FSD (supervised).

You can uncheck Automatic Set Speed Offset. Then set right scroll wheel for current speed. Then you can manually control speed with the right scroll. However, every time it passes a speed limit sign it will reset to speed limit. You gotta watch it. After all it's FSD (supervised).
And Tesla likes to default country roads to 25 mph, even if it should be 55 mph.

The reason I use auto speed is it works better than manual speed in my situation. I used manual speed with v12.2.1 but it didn't work well.

With auto speed I see the following:

When speed limit is 20 mph, FSD never goes past 20 mph.

When speed limit is 25 mph, FSD goes up to 32 but not always. A lot people go 35 mph on that road.

When speed limit is 30 mph, FSD goes up to 37 but not always. A lot people go 35-40 on that road.

When speed limit is 40 mph, FSD goes up to 45 mph but not always.
Most people go 45-48 on that road.
When speed limit is 50 mph, FSD goes up 55. Most people go 55 mph.

Those roads don't give FSD the chance to keep speed higher than limit more than 2-5 minutes because there are stops.

I have not tried auto speed on long roads that have no stop sign.

Last edited:
I got to use FSDS12.3.3 on my daily commute for the first time - and also for the first time it managed an essentially takeover free pair of drives.
Once I got it out of the garage and onto the road at home to the street by the work parking garage, it drove the whole way there in the morning and back this afternoon.
I say "essentially" because there were a few dial up/down speed changes and the occasional right pedal giddyup, but it has never managed anything close to what it did today. It also made some odd lane choices, including one where we we due to turn left and it moved into the right lane then immediately back again ;)
Really rather impressed overall though.
Still a many areas it could do better, but for a commute where my task was to supervise FSD, it fitted its new name quite well.
Hopefully we will actually see the promised speedier updates, but past performance and all that...

Does manual speed work as the same way as v11.4.9?
No. It is now broken. This has been discussed many times. It seems incomprehensible to many, though. I think maybe because they use ASSO mode and assume that going back to manual mode will go back to v11 behavior. Which it does not.
Not the same, it still has a mind of it's own in going slower than your offset, but I haven't seen it go above like Automax.
I am not aware of any difference between manual and ASSO other than the offset used. Which is 50% (freeway 5%/10%/15%).

It would be nice to know if there is some other difference. I’ve not seen one.

I’m not sure what you mean by “go above like Automax.” It’s very unlikely Automax will go above 50% offset. Manual offset is of course irrelevant in ASSO mode, by definition, and the name. Unless of course you manually dial the offset, since it will respect that invisible offset on the left hand pane next to the speed limit.

The reason I use auto speed is it works better than manual speed in my situation. I used manual speed with v12.2.1 but it didn't work well.

I’ve never observed any difference except for the offset. We discussed this yesterday. If you increase your manual offset you’ll likely find the behavior to be the same as ASSO mode. If manual mode was hitting the displayed limit that is the reason for the limited speed.

It’s extremely unlikely manual mode will drive faster on surface streets than ASSO because the offset is 50% for ASSO.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: primedive
I'm also kinda nervous that they are going to get rid of minimize lane changes too to "fix the problem of user input" , which will make parts of my commute useless on FSD.
We wouldn't have to give it any friggin' input at all if the damn "minimze lane changes" switch would just stay ON!

I'm also kinda nervous that they are going to get rid of minimize lane changes too to "fix the problem of user input" , which will make parts of my commute useless on FSD.
Two and a half years participating in this FSD mess and I’ve determined that what I really want is AP and NoA to be on the FSD stack at which point I would just stop using the city streets stuff.

I don’t want it to change lanes without asking but the FSD stack is dramatically smoother on the highway so if I want that smoothness I have to put up with it zipping across lanes for no reason on short notice.

Coming out of a small side street today had to disengage since FSD continues to ignore the no left turn sign. Has anyone had FSD behave correctly to this type of sign?

1712184141138.png

I'm almost certain NHTSA is going to ban auto speed in its current form as a driver assist. It is aggressive now

Fully take responsibility for this but almost certainly expecting a speed camera ticket in the mail soonish haha. 45 in a 30 is excessive. Switched to manual control which feels better.
First auto speed was too slow now it's often too fast. So I suspect Tesla will continue adjusting so it works reasonably better. Once that happens no need for NHTSA to ban it.

Reactions: Stan930
auto speed was too slow now it's often too fast.
But this is controllable. You just turn off auto mode. That allows you to get auto mode (auto mode is enabled even though it is disabled), but use your own limit. It’s the same, you just get to control the limit on how fast it goes. That is in contrast to the limit being invisible, defaulting to 50% over detected limit, but controllable with the scroll wheel (pure ASSO behavior).

Reactions: Dewg
You need to go below 8 mph to see the parking map
That is what I thought until I started checking available parking in different lots. First, FSD often goes above 8mph in parking lots with good room so that eliminates it's use a lot for me. Second, even when FSD is going 8 or less available parking spots often don't show up. Doesn't seem to matter whether FSD is engaged or not. I haven't figured out the common denominator yet. Perhaps others have. On a positive note it works reasonably well in a dirt parking lot which I didn't expect.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Coming out of a small side street today had to disengage since FSD continues to ignore the no left turn sign. Has anyone had FSD behave correctly to this type of sign?

View attachment 1035275
Curious, were you navigating? The navigation map should know about most fixed no left turn, no U-turn, one way and so on.

To be clear, I do think that a major next step for FSD can and should include a much greater capability to recognize and respond to signs.