Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the first I've heard of FSD ignoring the driver's intentions. You pressed the accelerator, and the car did not respond? Maybe you just tapped it and waited?
It ignores driver's intentions all the times regardless autospeed or manual speed is used. This is v12 speed control behavior and there are lots of discussion about this.

Well unless 12.4 comes out before May 6th I'm going to drop out of the FSD cool kids club and take other software update path.

If this or another similar thread says it's worth it I might pay for FSD some day down the road but for now it's free or no FSD for me.

Enough so that I'm willing to grab an update to 2024.8 if it's offered and wait on that branch until FSD comes back around and either offers me a 2nd free month or the threads cajole me into paying $99 to see if it got good enough.

Main problems with 12.3.4 from an original 10.2 tester(this is on the highway and these problems have been here for a while, so yes, this isn’t really V12, but hear me out)

1. FSD follows ridiculously far on the highway. In heavy traffic doing around 60 mph in the left lane, you can’t leave a ginormous gap between you and the car ahead without getting honked at and passed in the right lane. It also tries way too aggressively to maintain this absurd following distance. When someone passes you on the right, (which, again, is going to happen because they assume YOU are the slow car, when in reality you are just following at an insane distance) and then gets in the left lane in front of you, FSD slams on the breaks in an attempt to maintain this distance. Unusable-disengage.

2. Also on the highway. At night, in dark situations, FSD continuously flashes and sounds an annoying “one or more side cameras are blocked or blinded, wait for visibility” or whatever. EVERY time it comes it makes an annoying “beep beep beep” chime.

I believe I have figured out what causes it. The left fender camera can see cars on the other side of the highway when they are there. However, in the absence of these car’s taillights, the car assumes that the left front fender camera is blocked. When cars appear again, the message goes away. It then returns as soon as these cars pass out of view.

Changing to regular autopilot gives a similar message under the same condition. However, this is an “orange level” message that doesn’t come with a sound so it’s much less annoying . Changing to autopilot is also how I know that the left front fender camera is the one it thinks is blinded. The message autopilot gives tells you the specific camera.

Until this is fixed, FSD is unusable at night on the highway.
They really need to do away with that “beep beep beep” as it’s very stressful. Save that for serious safety issues instead of beeping every 10 seconds because there’s clouds in the sky. All the more reason it should be possible to choose between tacc, autopilot and fsd without the driver profile hack.

I wonder why not call 12.4 as the next version 13? I don't think anything has been assigned for number 13 yet (unlike single stack 11.x that led to odd 10.69-type versioning), so I guess it's to give a hint that it's still fundamentally the same 12.x end-to-end architecture? What should be the threshold for bumping the major version?
Hi, Mardak --
Check out the very first post on this thread.
Yours,
RP

Reactions: primedive
This one is really context dependent. Sometimes fsd will drop the limit 30+ or more, either on the highway due to nearby exits, or just after getting off, and these are places I really don’t want it to be hitting the brakes.
It’s just a straight road where the speed changes from 55 to 45 and it doesn’t slow down

It shows on my screen that the speed limit is 45 but it ignores it for a long time

12.4.4 HW4 Tesla Model X
when the car is turning left
when the left turn traffic light is green and the forward traffic light is red, the car can not interpret that the left traffic light is green and it is permissible to go left.
does anyone else notice this?
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.57.39 PM.png

Elon said FSD would get more expensive the better it performed. 🤷‍♂️
Arguably he's not wrong; all of these prices are in the noise floor, compared to the value when it becomes Robotaxi capable.

As a Robotaxi L4/L5 system, it performs extremely poorly, so into the noise floor it goes.

Applicable here, too:
"One of the biggest mistakes people make, and I’m guilty of it too, is wishful thinking. You want something to be true, even if it isn’t true. And so you ignore the real truth because of what you want to be true. This is a very difficult trap to avoid" -EM

Last edited:
Reactions: Nakk and kabin
And as many predicted, FSD price dropped again. Now its $8k!

Elon said FSD would get more expensive the better it performed. 🤷‍♂️

I reckon Elon is looking for any opportunity to boost the stock price before Tues' conference call.
.....but at least my Tesla has appreciated over $100k in value since I bought it just like Elon said. 🤣 🤣 🤣

I predict EAP will be free.

People that bought EAP will get FSD.

This would make sense.
Actually EPA is now dead (again) a I bet for good this time (or until Elon sees a toilet 3AM tweet and asking and replies "yea" 🤣).

Also People who bought can upgrade for $2k. So not free but not too bad.

Last edited:
Is it really that hard to port fsd v12 to the 2024.8 branch?
Had Tesla done this the first week it would have ruined Elon's perfect streak of promises made, promises broken. But why they havn't since is a mystery. Sure hope v12.4 (should be called V13) will make it to a newer branch but that will likely be at least "two weeks".

2) this revision often doesn't align with speed limit signs and is too slow to adjust.
Yesterday, all 65 mph signs were never recognized by the system.
55mph & 70 generally OK.
55 or below, mostly recognized but took much too long to slow the vehicle down (which given our route through middle of small town Florida leaves you highly vulnerable to tickets.....this revision is similar to one several back that never adjusted properly. Needed prompt to get vehicle to targeted speed. ie target is 65mph but it lags at 62 mph

I just made a 300 mile road trip yesterday using 12.3.4. It ignored every 65 mph speed limit sign, which was bad since a large portion of my trip was on 4 lane divided highways that have a 65 mph speed limit.

I had to disengage when entering towns to avoid getting a ticket because it just won't slow down enough. It reads the 55, 45, 35 speed limit signs, but was still going 61.

And as many predicted, FSD price dropped again.
That was inevitable because of the subscription drop.

It looks like Tesla is resetting to the reality that FSD is a Level 2 driver assist and perhaps a Level 3 system on highways, but that's it. As such, it no longer has any connection with robotaxis, and cannot be priced as such. The August announcement may well be a statement that they will be cranking up the sensors and processing power on a new vehicle that is dedicated to being a commercial robotaxi. Given that it will exist to make money, it can cost a lot more than a consumer vehicle.

It'll be interesting to see how they structure the economics of the vehicle, and what hardware they think is appropriate for a Level 5 vehicle after several years working with FSD, especially now with time on V12.

......It'll be interesting to see how they structure the economics of the vehicle, and what hardware they think is appropriate for a Level 5 vehicle after several years working with FSD, especially now with time on V12.
L4 since L5 is really more aspirational, not needed and likely a couple of decades away at BEST. If Tesla somehow gets its robotaxie to be country wide, regulatory approved with limited ODDs in the next two years it WILL be a game changer. But going by history and practicality it is a SUPER long shot at best.

Looks like all us TSLA owners have a lotto odds bet now since Elon is betting the farm on robotaxies and ditching car sales numbers (Model 2). So will Tesla be the next......well Tesla or will Tesla be the next Fisker? 🤔 :oops:

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday