Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did your V8.0 update go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my car for a drive this evening and tried autopilot; whilst going through the harbour tunnel a Golf wandered out of its lane and rather than braking to avoid it the car calmly moved to the side of the lane to avoid it. That has never happened before.
On 7.1 I was unable to log onto TuneIn for about 4 months and once I found the log in screen on 8.0 it logged in and all my TuneIn favourites returned.
So far colour me impressed.

I also am very impressed with v8. I get the impression that a lot of thought has gone into improving what they had - they solved problems that I hadn't given thought to solving...

1. Very clever that the map and camera default to the top screen and the rest to the bottom; Never thought of that - but I always do that;

2. Very happy with improved regen braking... can never have too much; don't care what you say!!

3. Seems to have fixed a terrible glitch/bug I was experiencing with a premium spotify ac where the last 30 secs of a song would always hang and sometimes with a repeating sound like a broken record that could only be fixed with a hot reboot.

4. Really love how tune in and spotify and radio are now all at your fingertips on the one screen. I never used TuneIn before because it was too hard to navigate too - but now I have used it quite a lot since the update.

5. Love the new font - it's like a facelift and makes you feel like you are driving a new car.

6. Still haven't come to terms yet with the changes they have made to voice and the right steering wheel turning button thingo.... Have a little faith man!!

7. I noticed a new entry in the settings regarding calculating the return trip - and it was off by default and I have left it off... But I must turn it on sometime and experiment with it.

8. Love how it now detects the car in front of the car in front. Something romantic about knowing you are bouncing a radar signal under and around the car in front to detect the speed of the one further ahead. But the jury is still out on how effective it is going to be to learn Australian roads and static radar signals (ie low bridges and road signs etc...) and how well it will work (if ever) when Tesla starts turning the sensitivity of the radar-triggered auto-stop up from zero...

"6. Still haven't come to terms yet with the changes they have made to voice and the right steering wheel turning button thingo.... Have a little faith man!!"

So. I used to use the right hand selector wheel on the steering wheel to switch between audio sources - fm, am, tunein, iPhone. Now I can't seem to do this although I can open and close the sunroof, change the temp and fan and a few other options. Is there any way I can get the audio select back?

I also am very impressed with v8. I get the impression that a lot of thought has gone into improving what they had - they solved problems that I hadn't given thought to solving...

1. Very clever that the map and camera default to the top screen and the rest to the bottom; Never thought of that - but I always do that;

2. Very happy with improved regen braking... can never have too much; don't care what you say!!

3. Seems to have fixed a terrible glitch/bug I was experiencing with a premium spotify ac where the last 30 secs of a song would always hang and sometimes with a repeating sound like a broken record that could only be fixed with a hot reboot.

4. Really love how tune in and spotify and radio are now all at your fingertips on the one screen. I never used TuneIn before because it was too hard to navigate too - but now I have used it quite a lot since the update.

5. Love the new font - it's like a facelift and makes you feel like you are driving a new car.

6. Still haven't come to terms yet with the changes they have made to voice and the right steering wheel turning button thingo.... Have a little faith man!!

7. I noticed a new entry in the settings regarding calculating the return trip - and it was off by default and I have left it off... But I must turn it on sometime and experiment with it.

8. Love how it now detects the car in front of the car in front. Something romantic about knowing you are bouncing a radar signal under and around the car in front to detect the speed of the one further ahead. But the jury is still out on how effective it is going to be to learn Australian roads and static radar signals (ie low bridges and road signs etc...) and how well it will work (if ever) when Tesla starts turning the sensitivity of the radar-triggered auto-stop up from zero...
I can confirm that the extra radar detection works. Mine slowed late today. Couldnt work out why as the car in front was getting further away, then he slammed his brakes on to avoid a car turning right. Amazing technology!

Change charge port door error is known and will be disabled in all cars" soon". Pity, I was hoping for a powered charge port door as an upgrade. I found autopilot to be very rough and, in fact much like when it was introduced and will need complete retraining. Disappointing given the reviews I have read so far. Disappearing menu bar is irritating. Otherwise the look is OK I guess. They still did not restore outside air temp to menu bar of the main screen . WTF.
Charge port door issue appears to have been fixed. Fix must have been pushed to the car.

"6. Still haven't come to terms yet with the changes they have made to voice and the right steering wheel turning button thingo.... Have a little faith man!!"

So. I used to use the right hand selector wheel on the steering wheel to switch between audio sources - fm, am, tunein, iPhone. Now I can't seem to do this although I can open and close the sunroof, change the temp and fan and a few other options. Is there any way I can get the audio select back?

It's not exactly the same thing, but long pressing the upper left button steps through all of your audio favorites, whatever band or service they are on.

Reactions: BenT
Update on my failed v8.0 install:
  • Decided to call Tesla Support, they remotely looked at my car and could see the failed 5 attempts
  • Tesla Support said they would pass the information on the Tesla Richmond (my local SC)
  • I'm impatient so called, Nick answered
  • He seemed to know what I was on about immediately and very graciously offered for me to just pop past, they would apply v8.0 manually and 1-2 hours off I would go
  • Will be popping past on Monday, unfortunately I don't have time until them...Nick would have accommodated me straight away if I had been available
Couple of things I learnt:
  1. Calling support to remotely look at your car is worthwhile, rather than waiting all grumpy like I was
  2. If I had not called and continued to wait the update, in my case, would have never been applied
-ECIT

Update on my failed v8.0 install:
  • Decided to call Tesla Support, they remotely looked at my car and could see the failed 5 attempts
  • Tesla Support said they would pass the information on the Tesla Richmond (my local SC)
  • I'm impatient so called, Nick answered
  • He seemed to know what I was on about immediately and very graciously offered for me to just pop past, they would apply v8.0 manually and 1-2 hours off I would go
  • Will be popping past on Monday, unfortunately I don't have time until them...Nick would have accommodated me straight away if I had been available
Couple of things I learnt:
  1. Calling support to remotely look at your car is worthwhile, rather than waiting all grumpy like I was
  2. If I had not called and continued to wait the update, in my case, would have never been applied
-ECIT
You missed learning number 3; Nick is a fantastic support person who sorts things out.

If you reject the upgrade (i assume v8.0) do you have to wait until another is offered?

How do you reject the update? Obviously you can choose not to install. Seems to be, once you receive the notification, the update has already been downloaded to the car and stays there until you choose to install. Not certain, but it would seem logical if you choose not to install, the subsequent update or build - when it becomes available - simply overwrites the previous one and the notification seems to persist (unless I’m mistaken and the notification eventually disappears, in which case ignore what I’ve just said :))

I’m not sure what the fuss is about 8.0. It’s been uneventful for me. Haven’t noticed drunk AP or increased nags and USB & audio source selection aren’t a big deal in my estimation. In fact I gotta say I haven’t had a single solitary issue apart from a tyre puncture since delivery.

Reactions: powerfactor
How do you reject the update? Obviously you can choose not to install. Seems to be, once you receive the notification, the update has already been downloaded to the car and stays there until you choose to install. Not certain, but it would seem logical if you choose not to install, the subsequent update or build - when it becomes available - simply overwrites the previous one and the notification seems to persist (unless I’m mistaken and the notification eventually disappears, in which case ignore what I’ve just said :))

I’m not sure what the fuss is about 8.0. It’s been uneventful for me. Haven’t noticed drunk AP or increased nags and USB & audio source selection aren’t a big deal in my estimation. In fact I gotta say I haven’t had a single solitary issue apart from a tyre puncture since delivery.
Agree, WhiteStar, v8.0 is mostly a small evolutionary step forward. But if you're a big USB user, they've munted it big time. The time to load the USB stick is longer than the average car journey, and you can't get to the second half (alphabetically) of your collection. Unusable.

If you reject the upgrade (i assume v8.0) do you have to wait until another is offered?

You can't reject the update. but you can continually postpone it.

When it comes up with the update available box, where it requests a time, press the 'X' in the upper right corner. you have to repeat the process each day.

If you change your mind, you can choose to install it at any time.

After a week or so, I've gotten used to postponing it each morning.

Agree, WhiteStar, v8.0 is mostly a small evolutionary step forward. But if you're a big USB user, they've munted it big time. The time to load the USB stick is longer than the average car journey, and you can't get to the second half (alphabetically) of your collection. Unusable.

Doc I think something isn’t quite right with your USB stick even if you have a massive collection on it. Do you have some large incompatible file hidden away on it or possibly there’s a corrupt file on it somewhere? Do you have multi level folders? But then why was it OK on 7.1 & not 8.0 I wonder? Have you tried checking & repairing it with OSX Disk Utility or Windows Disk Management? Last resort, have you tried formatting & transferring your collection again?

I didn’t notice the second half alphabetical bug but that definitely is a problem that needs a fix.

Some good tips here.

Tesla Model S: Listening to Your Own Music Library • Bert's Place

[EDIT] Ok I see it isn't a corrupt file or USB stick - from https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1750998/

I’ve got to spend a lot more time on this one day, but my existing stick of 6100 tracks, that worked well with 7.1, really does not with 8.0. The issue is, where initial scanning was a 15-20 min process when my USB stick was inserted or the CID was rebooted in 7.x, after 1 hour doing the same with 8.0, it’s not even 80% complete with the initial scan. The scanning process also appears at some point to become exponentially slower the more tracks that are scanned (it took 15 minutes to go from 68%-78%), indicating perhaps some memory constraints or leakage. Regardless, until Tesla resolves this, if I want to use USB, I have little choice but to substantially reduce the number of tracks to get scan time back down to something within reason.

Last edited: