Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The HEPA filter is "active" anytime you have the climate control on outside air. There is no alternate path from the outside to the inside that bypasses the HEPA filter.
hmm - I thought if you had the official BWDM system, it operated one way, and the after market operated slightly different.
1) air flow needs to be set to 9 or 10 to activate, 2) recirc need to be selected.
Makes sense that recirc is not bringing in fresh air through the filter, but I thought it would be cleaning the cabin.
Makes sense that all outside air goes through the plenum - whether you have a filer mounted or empty (default). If you dont buy the aftermarket - is there not a small cabin filter that is also in operation, or are you getting unfiltered air in the cabin?

In the summer, I run recirc so I dont have to cool the very hot outside air. The rest of the year, I run fresh air and at various fan speeds.

So what is the deal with the high fan speed requirement?

BWDM button will operate the fans at a very high speed to create negative air pressure in the cabin to ensure only clean air is present. As @jelloslug mentioned, that has nothing to do with HEPA filtration of the cabin air but has to do with the marketing specs and chart that Tesla presented when unveiling the feature.

hmm - I thought if you had the official BWDM system, it operated one way, and the after market operated slightly different.
1) air flow needs to be set to 9 or 10 to activate, 2) recirc need to be selected.
Makes sense that recirc is not bringing in fresh air through the filter, but I thought it would be cleaning the cabin.
Makes sense that all outside air goes through the plenum - whether you have a filer mounted or empty (default). If you dont buy the aftermarket - is there not a small cabin filter that is also in operation, or are you getting unfiltered air in the cabin?

In the summer, I run recirc so I dont have to cool the very hot outside air. The rest of the year, I run fresh air and at various fan speeds.

The button is basically a preset that turns on outside air and cranks the fan up.

BWDM button will operate the fans at a very high speed to create negative air pressure in the cabin to ensure only clean air is present. As @jelloslug mentioned, that has nothing to do with HEPA filtration of the cabin air but has to do with the marketing specs and chart that Tesla presented when unveiling the feature.
I presume you meant that the fan INCREASES the cabin air pressure, not create a negative pressure.

Reactions: PrGrPa
can Some till me the site for walmart that has the filter 14/27.5/1
As far as I know, Walmart does not carry this oddball size. But you can get this filter at Filterbuy. Fits perfect and they ship it right to your house. Why waste time shopping up and down isles?

FilterBuy.com <[email protected]>
Subject: Your FilterBuy.com order from December 31, 2017 is complete
Date: January 4, 2018 at 7:01:25 AM MST
To: [email protected]

logo.png

Your order is complete
Hi there. Your recent order on FilterBuy.com has been completed. Your order details are shown below for your reference:

Your order was shipped via UPS. Tracking number xxx

Order: xxx
Product Quantity Price
14x27.5x1 MERV 13 Custom Filter 2 $37.78
Cart Subtotal: $37.78
Shipping: Free shipping
Order Total: $37.78

it looks like they do the Bioweapon firmware update as well. It seems like a lot of money but if you have kids and live in a relatively polluted area it could be money well spent.

Model S HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade

I mean, I already have the HEPA filter installed (by Tesla) and it works great. So, all I am missing is that Bioweapon Defense Mode button in the UI. As I understand, all that button really does is sets the fans to the highest speed resulting in a positive pressure in the cabin. I can do the same manually now, but it would be cool to have the button in the UI. I am just not sure it would be worth $500. :)

Reactions: N..8
I did the self-upgrade. I've asked my local SC twice about the cost of adding the button. Twice the answer was "won't do it for any price". I'd be surprised if the $500 filter includes the 30 seconds needed to add the button.

But someone let me know if they achieve otherwise. Maybe I need to try a different SC.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I did the self-upgrade. I've asked my local SC twice about the cost of adding the button. Twice the answer was "won't do it for any price". I'd be surprised if the $500 filter includes the 30 seconds needed to add the button.

But someone let me know if they achieve otherwise. Maybe I need to try a different SC.

For you - the button upgrade is $500, and you get a free filter replacement as a bonus.

• Funny
Reactions: MIT_S60
This is my first post. Sort of the “Long time listener, first time caller”. So be easy on me.LOL

I have a 2016 MS P100D. Non-Biofilter. Picked up 2/10/2017. Been following this thread for awhile considering the upgrade. I’m very mechanically gifted, so I decide to buy the filter and install myself. $500 for the upgrade for a $175 filter and 15 min. of labor is too much in MHO.

My 2 yr annual was scheduled for this Fri. 2/8/19. So here goes. My service rep comes out to do the walk around when I arrive. I tell a her a few things I want to address and then I say, “I would like to order the HEPA filter” She says “ok I’ll put that down, look it up and call you with a price later” Cool, I’m on my way, with a loaner MS, happy as a clam. My past experience is that they have my car for three or four days. But, Saturday at noon, I get a call, “Mr. Campiotti your car is finished, if you can be here by four that would be great, otherwise you can pick it up on Monday.” I live more then an hour away from the SC BTW. This morning I picked up my car and I’m presented with the bill. Included is $200 for the filter and $35 labor to install it. The tech wrote it up as replacing the HEPA filter. But I didn’t have one to begin with. And no he didn’t enable the button.

So now what? I’m fine with the cost but now wish I had the button.LOL Has anyone figured a hack for enabling it? I know, I wouldn’t have had it if I’d done the install. But human nature!