Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My impression from others around these forums is that AP1 took on the order of a year to get *anything* at all after initial release of the hardware.

Not quite correct. My recollection from living through it was (and I could be off by a little bit).

AP1 hardware was officially introduced at the "D" unveiling event on Oct. 19, 2014 but had already been installed on all cars produced from earlier in October.

Sometime early in 2015 AP1 cars got an update that enabled TACC and the Autosteer portion came in Oct. 2015. The same hand wringing and speculation that Autosteer will never come happened then too.

This thread is an example of the angst

Last edited:
I don't remember getting TACC... I thought it all came in with the big AP software update in Oct?

I went back looking for some old threads (I thought TACC came in Feb or Mar) - looks like TACC came with v6.1 firmware:

Adaptive Cruise Control (experience post FW v6.1)

I remember taking my first long trip in May 2015 from New Orleans to New Jersey and having TACC but not Autopilot.

Mike

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I went back looking for some old threads (I thought TACC came in Feb or Mar) - looks like TACC came with v6.1 firmware:

Adaptive Cruise Control (experience post FW v6.1)

I remember taking my first long trip in May 2015 from New Orleans to New Jersey and having TACC but not Autopilot.

Mike
Thank you. I don't remember being too upset about having the car for nearly a year without AP1 because I was busy enjoying the rest of the car. When AP1 came out I was elated! I guess as an "early adopter" I take the good with the bad.

My impression from others around these forums is that AP1 took on the order of a year to get *anything* at all after initial release of the hardware.

It did take a long time to come but when it did, it pretty much worked. It got better over time but none of this limited roll out, limited speed limits and so on which some are saying we should have expected. And while you were waiting, all the basic functions like auto lights, wipers, collision warning, lane departure etc were there.

Bought my first 100k+ car and here's what I got...Mirrors that don't deploy correctly so that I can drive. Sunroof that opens 1 out of every 3 try's. 2 key fobs that show up as key fob 1, not individual fobs. An update that tells me camera's are calibrating for 10+ hours now and now have to take my first long trip with NO regular cruise control! You want us newbies not to be pissed????? I would have NEVER did the update if I knew I would lose cruise control. ROLL ME BACK!
I was a bit confused by the key fob programming at first. If you jump to 4:30 in this video, it shows how to configure things.

I think they need a larger, more public group that comes after beta so they start rollouts with more accepting customers and avoid public complaints like the ones we see here.
I am guessing that a majority of the testing-users don't have AP2 hw. An updated set of tester volunteers would be a good idea. People can choose not to take the update though, if they don't want to testers.

@VANDO The problem there is that you likely didn't use the other fob. Actually unlock the car with the button on the fob and it will probably show up.

No, I did use each individually and did the lock/unlock after creating each profile. Saves on the screen correctly. Exit the vehicle/re-enter and each fob shows "key fob 1" You can at least select the profile you want, but it loses "key fob 2"

So much discussion... Send an email to [email protected] with any issues, questions, requests. They responded to me within a few days. Tell them you want to go back to .180, I'm sure they can do it for you.
Nope. Got a reply from Tesla ServiceHelpNA this morning.

"There are no rollback options for the Firmware on the vehicles."

I can try the AutopilotFeedback email address but will probably get the same answer. This makes no sense; what if an update bricks the car? Do we just all sit around and wait for the next update? I'm guessing that service centers can force load a specific firmware version but they don't want to offer that up since losing cruise control is not all that "serious".

At least they opened a ticket for my sticky driver side rear mirror.

Nope. Got a reply from Tesla ServiceHelpNA this morning.

"There are no rollback options for the Firmware on the vehicles."

I can try the AutopilotFeedback email address but will probably get the same answer. This makes no sense; what if an update bricks the car? Do we just all sit around and wait for the next update?
Yes. In that case a new update would come very quickly, I'm sure! This is why Tesla doesn't release new firmware to tens of thousands of cars at a time.
Service centers can only load the most recent firmware for your car.

Any body else?
Our car's HW2 - EAP stuff seemed to go "live" this evening - while my wife was driving the S home from visiting a friend 10 miles away at a Huntington Beach hospital. When she got home she said the S seemed to be acting funny. But she couldn't explain why she thought that. She's still learning all the levers, and like me, occasionally turn on/off the wrong things.
20 minutes after she got home, we were both in the S to go visit friends about 3 miles away. She had me drive. The "assistance" & "cruise control" and other warnings had cleared, so I tried to see if any of the user programmable safety distance settings were active. I set it at a far distance, and the S started slowing for the car in front of us WAY before I normally would. After the light changed, the S began driving on its own, back up to a safe following distance behind the car in front of us. I cranked the safe distance setting back to a close distance, and I almost used the brakes my self as it was uncomfortably close when the S began braking ... not 'hard' braking - as when someone gets distracted & really has to lay into it ... but still to the point where you'd really have to be on top of it, if the system failed.
I gave one of our friends a demonstration ... went back in .... played cards, and by the time we were on our way back home? Back to warnings "assist systems / cruise whatever not active. Oh well - it was kind of neat - although the experience was short lived.
He wants to go back to 2.50.180 so that he has basic CC. (Since with 2.50.185 he has nothing.)
Thanks for the explanation. Seems my inquiry got me a "thumbs down" from somebody -
o_O
tough crowd -
I thought the OP was primarily a thread regarding cars equipped with the new hardware - but the complaints are because the upgrade is apparently requiring older cars features to go off line? Hope that question doesn't get me another thumbs down. How many dislikes do we get before we're kicked off or banned or what ever.