Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow massively jealous of all the quotes people getting. £904 was the best I got from direct line and luckily that dropped from £1400 due to being named driver on in laws policy! Two alternatives were £3200 and £10,020 from LV........ Churchill Admiral and others would flat our refuse to insure.
30yr, london, 0 claims but also 0 yr NCD.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Interesting...does being a named driver on another policy give a multicar discount on one's own additional insurance policy.

The earlier post didn't read like fronting, it reads as two policies giving a discount.

If this is the in laws insuring your car on your behalf and you are a named driver on their policy, the following may be worth a read.

Thanks for the link I've always wondered the legality of "fronting". But luckily it wasn't my car. It was their car I borrowed to use occasionally so was made named driver. Lucky I did as it saved a fair bit off the insurance! If you dont plan on owning a car for a while I'd recommend people getting on a named driver policy. It was £300 or so saying because of it.

The named driver thing has no effect on the in laws policy. So no they wont get multi car discount but also wont have any negative effect from our insurance neither. Just need their permission to use it as a discount.

Also agree with the wife thing. Another £400 or so saved because both of us was on it rather than just 1!

Reactions: Roy W.
Bumping this thread as my renewal is up. Went with Direct Line through Tesla last year who seemed reasonable as I had no NCB due to driving on a fleet policy up till that time. Getting new quotes, LV seem to be best price this time and almost half the price of Direct Line's renewal quote. Is everyone happy with LV that have their insurance with them?

Bumping this thread as my renewal is up. Went with Direct Line through Tesla last year who seemed reasonable as I had no NCB due to driving on a fleet policy up till that time. Getting new quotes, LV seem to be best price this time and almost half the price of Direct Line's renewal quote. Is everyone happy with LV that have their insurance with them?
I went from DL to LV, haven't had to claim fortunately which is the real test however the excess was lower (£1k>£750) and they had the best cover I could find for driving abroad (fully comp, both drivers, 180 days per year).

Their windscreen replacement is more expensive though £190 vs £100.

Reactions: Roy W. and seadog
I‘ve just gone from LV to DL, the quote from the latter being less than half that from LV. Given that I’ve made a claim in the last 2 years, I thought the quote of £290 fully comp from DL was very good. I used the price ‘sweet spot’ by getting a quote 24 days before renewal.

Reactions: seadog
Wow massively jealous of all the quotes people getting. £904 was the best I got from direct line and luckily that dropped from £1400 due to being named driver on in laws policy! Two alternatives were £3200 and £10,020 from LV........ Churchill Admiral and others would flat our refuse to insure.
30yr, london, 0 claims but also 0 yr NCD.
30 year old (male I assume), 0 years NCD on a car that does 0-60 in 4.2 secs and is insurance group 50.

That's why it's expensive, I'm afraid :(

Three years with LV here. Last year’s renewal from LV beat anything I could get on comparison sites and easily beat DL for me. As always, depending on your age and driving history, location and car YMMV!

I‘ve just gone from LV to DL, the quote from the latter being less than half that from LV. Given that I’ve made a claim in the last 2 years, I thought the quote of £290 fully comp from DL was very good. I used the price ‘sweet spot’ by getting a quote 24 days before renewal.
£290 for a £40k+ car!! I thought I was doing reasonably well in London at £680 with DL.

LV are fantastic - recently had a claim as my parked car got hit by an uninsured driver.

Claim processed with no fuss, no excess, had car back in 3 days with a £9k repair.

Thanks for replies, all sounds good, strange how some people move from DL to LV and others the opposite way but that's the foibles of insurance quotes. M3P quote was around £370 basic and £425 with the optional extras I chose which I though was good considering I only have 1 years NCB. Anyone declared mods to LV, I have a chrome delete kit ready to fit once the warmer weather is here, is this likely to affect my premium much?

My insurance quote is just insane this year. With admiral on multi car and it was £900 last year. Renewal came through and it's £1400. I went on compare the market and, well, lowest quoted price was £1980??? I mean what is all that about? I'm old, car is locked overnight, it's low annual mileage ...

Maybe it's because it got hit by a bus?

Thanks for replies, all sounds good, strange how some people move from DL to LV and others the opposite way but that's the foibles of insurance quotes. M3P quote was around £370 basic and £425 with the optional extras I chose which I though was good considering I only have 1 years NCB. Anyone declared mods to LV, I have a chrome delete kit ready to fit once the warmer weather is here, is this likely to affect my premium much?
When I spoke to the LV advisor I declared my chrome delete and PPF. They noted the modifications as 'Decals/Stickers' and 'Non standard paintwork' respectively. I don't think that made any difference to the policy price however my insurances was around double the price you've been quoted.

My insurance quote is just insane this year. With admiral on multi car and it was £900 last year. Renewal came through and it's £1400. I went on compare the market and, well, lowest quoted price was £1980??? I mean what is all that about? I'm old, car is locked overnight, it's low annual mileage ...

Maybe it's because it got hit by a bus?

On the radio today that average car insurance rates are lower this year ...

We recently got a big discount on DL simply by doing an identical online quote and asking if they would match, which they did no quibble. I always thought that our Tesla insurance was a little higher than it should have been compared with some with similar circumstances.

I always put it down to a relatively large (2 new doors) no fault, unrecovered car park 'knock' on our previous car where the perp did a runner from that still had not dropped off their system even though it was quite a few years back and wouldn't need to be declared on a new policy application.