Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Genesis GV60 and Cadillac Lyriq are direct competitors to the Model Y.

The Ioniq 5 and EV6 cut some corners. The audio even on the top trim is just meh (I'd say the same about my top trim $51K Telluride). The range is less. The efficiency worse too. Cargo space is less. Weaker acceleration/performance. The infotainment is a generation behind. And I found the Ioniq 5 Limited AWD seats rather painful... actually I have the same problem with the Telluride and have to use a cushion.

Now the Lyriq and GV60 seem to have fewer corners cut. The GV60 has fingerprint and facial recognition, real premium audio, equal performance (GV60 Advanced is MYP like), etc.

The range tests on the Ioniq 5 have been notably lower than the Y: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 70 MPH Range Test In Cold Weather

It does tend to catch up on longer tests due to its excellent charge speeds, though.

Even with higher charging speed (advertised), it is slow for the long distance trips. Efficiency matters.

I wouldn't say slow...I punch in ABRP from so-cal to Vegas and there is a 5 minute difference in arrival times (using my Model 3). The Tesla has slightly longer range and the EV6 has slightly better charge times. For long distance road trips, its not that much different IF you have the same charging availability. Tesla Superchargers are still waaaay better.

Even with higher charging speed (advertised), it is slow for the long distance trips. Efficiency matters.
It isn't a big factor in this case. Watch the out of spec motoring race... The Ioniq did really well.

Although that is in an area with good CCS coverage. It really comes down to charge networks on long trips. I've planned some where the CCS car would fall behind by an hour because of a need to do convoluted routes.

The supercharger network is amazing.

Reactions: cusetownusa
You may need to adjust your seat better. I have santa fe and it took me some time to find the perfect position. Turns out I was sitting too far back and it was causing discomfort in my tailbone.

Range on i5 and ev6 should match MY
@Nimilol Where have you seen that? The tests I've seen show less real-world range for the Ioniq 5. I haven't come tests for the EV6 but from what I understand, there's no reason to expect any better from it. (Whether the MYLR's extra real-world range actually matters for your driving is of course a personal thing.)

For example, Inside EVs - whose range testing I trust more than most - got 227 miles from an Ioniq 5 AWD on 19" wheels, vs 276 from a Model Y AWD (presumably on 19" wheels too).
https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

Tesla reports better range than actual range vs Hyundai/Kia usually match or get better range than advertised.
This is a tired argument. Yes EPA ratings unfortunately seem to be gameable and Tesla does seem to game them more than most, but everything I've seen points to MYLR having better real-world range and efficiency than Ioniq 5. The inconsistency of EPA ratings doesn't change that.

I sure wish EPA had better, stricter testing requirements and formulas for EV range/efficiency ratings. I would like to be able to trust EPA ratings for comparison across brands and models. But if "accuracy of EPA rating" is your metric for judging an EV's range, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Personally the difference in DCFC charging networks is a bigger deal than the real-world range difference between MYLR and Ioniq 5 AWD. At least here in the USA. There's a gap in public DCFC in an area I drive in regularly, that has Supercharger coverage. And I love the simple "just plug in" experience of using Superchargers, I've no interest in fiddling with payment methods, compatibility issues, mismatched cable vs charge port locations, etc at DCFC.

At least the Ioniq 5 (and I assume EV6) is supposed to support Plug and Charge right? In theory that should provide a Supercharger-like experience. I'm hopeful that will become standard and reliable among all EVs + DCFC someday. In the long term I don't like the idea of proprietary charging, just for now the Supercharger experience seems much better. Not to mention the ridiculous thing that is the CCS connector.

Edit: That said, I do care about the range difference as some of our driving pushes the limits of current EV's range, where - for example - the extra range of our M3P over our old S P85 is the difference between having to stop for DCFC (Supercharging) at some point in the day, vs not (while keeping a reasonable margin from empty and not hypermiling).

Now if I'll need the same number of charging stops in either car, then the range difference matters much less. I only consider extra range useful when it saves me a charging stop.

Last edited:
Range all depend on how u drive! Also conditions.

ex. I avg 270 wh/mi On my MYP with 19”. So I can get my full 303 range on a full charge if I really try. 😁

but truly agreed. Ill pay up for tesla SC experience!
Weather and driving style pay a huge role and can dwarf the range differences. Having said that, for a given set of conditions, the battery and power train do matter.

I’ve gotten anywhere from 218 Wh/mi (clear spring day, flat state highways) to 400 Wh/mi with my MYLR (frigid winter day with snowy roads)

But if "accuracy of EPA rating" is your metric for judging an EV's range, you are doing yourself a disservice.
Why is it non one complains that the EPA railings aren’t accurate for an ICE car?

Why is it non one complains that the EPA railings aren’t accurate for an ICE car?
@sleepydoc Hah! Yeah, right? My ICE cars didn't meet their EPA ratings either with my typical driving style.

I think the issue here is more that there's wide variance between how close EVs are to their EPA ratings though. So you can't even trust the EPA rating as a relative comparison tool. I'm not sure if that same issue exists for gas car EPA ratings.

Reactions: sleepydoc
@sleepydoc Hah! Yeah, right? My ICE cars didn't meet their EPA ratings either with my typical driving style.

I think the issue here is more that there's wide variance between how close EVs are to their EPA ratings though. So you can't even trust the EPA rating as a relative comparison tool. I'm not sure if that same issue exists for gas car EPA ratings.
Yes. Conditions also play a bigger roll in efficiency with EVs than they do with ICE cars. I think the biggest reason is that despite what Elon said, range anxiety is still a thing. EV charging stations are not ubiquitous like gas stations are and if you do run out you can't just come back with a gallon of gas.

After driving my MY for 2 years I have to say that it's rare for me to really worry about it, though. I keep a closer eye on the battery than I do on the gas gauge of our ICE car for the reasons stated above but it's really not an issue.

Reactions: Suns_PSD and tm1v2
and if you do run out you can't just come back with a gallon of gas.

U can come back with a gas generator! 🤣

067AA531-91DF-4957-B0B7-832C8BBA3EF7.jpeg

So from the sf Bay Area. I’m seeing more and more I5 on the road lately. At first , I thought it was cool looking. Now seeing them and more , it liked another other ICE car. It’s starting to blend into other OEM auto… well, it is a Hyundai!

I do see more and more tesla on the road too. But I don’t get tired of seeing them. It still look cool and futuristic. IMO.

I remember seeing a few M3 on the road years ago and thought it was cool. They haven’t change that look yet and I bet u they won’t change the 3/Y for many years to come. The i5 already looking liked any other cars out there. I’m not even going to start with the interior design and infotainment system. We know tesla will continue updating their software so a few years old 3/Y will still have the current updated software running. So I still think tesla has a big lead over these other guys. IMO.

Last edited:
the delta is pretty small for highway driving, driven mostly by the fact that most of the energy goes to heat. Being 30% less efficient on the 30% actually doing work is 9%. And of course back to the reality of quick fill ups.

Also, for most cars, unless you reset the trip odometer on every fill up, you're making an approximation on fuel economy. Some give a bit more info, though the live gauge on my outback just showed more or less, not numbers. That was buried elsewhere in a hard to use feature. It's of course front and center in hybrids and now EVs.

Well, traditional luxury car makers are also raising their prices, you can't buy a decent X5 for under 60K nowadays. MB's latest Electric SUV is well above 100k.
Bmw iX is 88k. I4 is 55k
I think the Genesis GV60 and Cadillac Lyriq are direct competitors to the Model Y.

The Ioniq 5 and EV6 cut some corners. The audio even on the top trim is just meh (I'd say the same about my top trim $51K Telluride). The range is less. The efficiency worse too. Cargo space is less. Weaker acceleration/performance. The infotainment is a generation behind. And I found the Ioniq 5 Limited AWD seats rather painful... actually I have the same problem with the Telluride and have to use a cushion.

Now the Lyriq and GV60 seem to have fewer corners cut. The GV60 has fingerprint and facial recognition, real premium audio, equal performance (GV60 Advanced is MYP like), etc.
they all suck whe compared on range. Bare in mind that Y is AWD and still has over 315 range. While everyone else have below 270 and even some below 240 work AWD trim.

It's not too shabby like the clean lines, its just that droopy tail, ack.
Yeah, a bit saggy in the butt!

Like I’ve said before - there’s no accounting for taste. Some people hate the styling of Tesla’s. 🤷‍♂️

The way I see it, judge a car based on its performance, ease of use, comfort, etc. and let people decide if they like the styling themselves.

• Funny
Reactions: Tensorflow
I quite like the Ioniq 6 styling, but I do wonder how practical that swoop-down back-end will be for rear headroom and cargo space. The video indicates that rear headroom is affected, but apparently not too badly, though I am not sure how tall that presenter is. It did not show back trunk space.

I wonder what the availability will be. There are some really long waits for EVs these days. I read a story the other day about a prospective customer, I think for a Hyundai Ioniq 5, being put on an informal waiting list just to get onto the main waiting list, and being told that the total wait would be at least two years, and maybe considerably longer. This is one area where Tesla has everyone beat, in figuring out mass production of EVs. While there are some delays to get Teslas, they does not seem to be nearly as bad as for other manufacturers and the overall Tesla production numbers are much higher.

Last edited:
I like the styling, but I do wonder how practical that swoop-down back-end will be for rear headroom and cargo space. The video indicates that rear headroom is affected, but apparently not too badly, though I am not sure how tall that presenter is. It did not show back trunk space.
The rear headroom is definitely affected. The EV6 felt a little more claustrophobic since there was no panoramic sunroof on the top trim. The Ioniq 5 has the panoramic sunroof so it feels more open but your head gets a little close to the sunroof if you’re tall. It’s not as bad as the MYLR 7 seater where the back row gets to touch their head to the glass if they are decently tall.