Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also gave up wasting money on superior audio systems, shortly after getting rid of acne, but again, to each their own. I don't play music in my car for the benefit of everyone at the stoplight. And also, a Prius has a drag coefficient of 0.24. Have at it. I had one at one time. Put And that's why we are blessed with many options and choices and again, that's why I dive an MYP. Teslas are the most technologically superior vehicles on the road, today, with an emphasis on today. Hyundai's currently are not as efficient. Understood, but Tesla needs to began to realize that objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

My point was not that the IONIQ 5 is a better car, but that for a first effort, and for a market to be able to afford an EV, Hyundai did a good job with some items that are better than on Tesla models and some not at good. Sorry, I didn't mean to break some fanbois hearts. I am on my 8th Tesla (all models except the roadster), which would probably justify me being a fan, but I was just trying to do a fair appraisal and put some information out there for those who haven't had the opportunity to try and compare both. And as I recall that's one of the goal's of this forum. Hyundai's (and other care makers') efforts should be commended, as they are working to accelerate the advent of sustainable energy. One could argue that, at present, Hyundai is actually doing more to accelerate the advent of sustainable energy by making a more affordable EV. And where have Tesla prices gone? Bean counters are in control.

For the immediate future, I'll be driving a Tesla, or should I say, let it be driving me.

Lol. How is the Bose audio system considered a plus? It’s awful. My friend dumped his SEL RWD for a Y and his major complaint was the poor audio system. I was unimpressed by it in my 3 separate test drives.

Tesla’s audio is just okay by my standards now. I want BMW i4 HK minimum in my next car.
I learned long ago that the brand name stereos that car makers tout are more often about the audio companies whoring out their name (can I say that?) to get extra money from the carmakers.

On a related note, I always get a kick out of people complaining that they can't lossless audio in their cars. Precious few people can actually distinguish between a lossless audio and a good quality compressed Codec and there's not a car on the market that's quiet enough to allow the distinction (assuming the car stereo is high enough quality in the first place.)

I am a street racer. I don't need slow cars or slow cars with good audio. When you race on the streets, all the sound fades away anyway. All i want is the electric motor whine!! :cool:

Meh. I just dumped my Mach-E GT Performance because it was too fast for the street and the track mode is terrible (only worked for 2 out of 6 laps at Daytona). Speeding ticket magnet.

I'm sticking with my BMW i4 with adaptive suspension. While I have a new Austin-built Model Y LR also... it's become a secondary car. The ride quality is poor and the audio is also worse :)

Reactions: aspushkin
Meh. I just dumped my Mach-E GT Performance because it was too fast for the street and the track mode is terrible (only worked for 2 out of 6 laps at Daytona). Speeding ticket magnet.

I'm sticking with my BMW i4 with adaptive suspension. While I have a new Austin-built Model Y LR also... it's become a secondary car. The ride quality is poor and the audio is also worse :)
I keep hearing the new 2022 Model Y has better ride quality. You are saying it’s still poor. I’m assuming it’s still rougher than the I5?

I had a 2021 Model Y. I have a 2022 MYP. I don't notice an appreciable difference in ride quality, which tells me that the ride quality, at least on the MYP has improved. I get decent ride quality and good handling. Noise reduction has also improved, thereby allowing me to appreciate my sound system a bit more.

I keep hearing the new 2022 Model Y has better ride quality. You are saying it’s still poor. I’m assuming it’s still rougher than the I5?

It's okay. I would say sporty and firm.

I had a Model Y for most of the 2022 and picked up a Mach-E GT Performance and that same weekend a brand new 2022 ID.4 AWD Pro S arrived. Before I declined it, I test drove the ID.4 and was amazed at how smooooooth the suspension was. Butter soft. I felt no potholes nor bump. I sold the ID.4 back in 2021 and had long forgotten how nice the suspension was . It's close to the three Ioniq 5 that I test drove. Of course the ID.4 suffers from body roll like any higher SUV.

The BMW i4 is very much like the Ioniq 5 and ID.4 BUT the suspension is adaptive so you can go into Sport mode and get Model Y like firmness and it doesn't have the mushiness of the Ioniq 5 that I hated. The Ioniq 5 felt like a boat. Soft mushy suspension and soft handling.

The I5 (Ioniq 5) suspension is MUCH better than the Y as someone who has both, but you sacrafice in the sharp cornering. The pros of the I5 is the 360 camera, apple carplay, blind spot on the heads up display and the display screen, built in motorized sun shade, built in rear sun shade and a 120v that can power a refrigerator. Quality, comfort and quietness is lightyears from the Y. It has homelink garage opener. Plenty of dealer network, parts are easily accessible.

The cons, finding a charger on the display is horrible, on the Y I can say I want to go to xyz and it'll tell me where to stop to charge. Bose system is a joke, it is so bad it's not even funny. Useless frunk, poor charging network. Anyone have questions feel free to ask, my opinions are unbiased because I don't give af.

The I5 (Ioniq 5) suspension is MUCH better than the Y as someone who has both, but you sacrafice in the sharp cornering. The pros of the I5 is the 360 camera, apple carplay, blind spot on the heads up display and the display screen, built in motorized sun shade, built in rear sun shade and a 120v that can power a refrigerator. Quality, comfort and quietness is lightyears from the Y. It has homelink garage opener. Plenty of dealer network, parts are easily accessible.

The cons, finding a charger on the display is horrible, on the Y I can say I want to go to xyz and it'll tell me where to stop to charge. Bose system is a joke, it is so bad it's not even funny. Useless frunk, poor charging network. Anyone have questions feel free to ask, my opinions are unbiased because I don't give af.

I forgot about the quietness in the EV6 too. Its very very quiet. I hear the I5 is even quieter :)

Reactions: voxel
The cons, finding a charger on the display is horrible, on the Y I can say I want to go to xyz and it'll tell me where to stop to charge.
Sometimes I think we understate the significance of this here. I bet most people that frequent a forum like this would quickly adapt with things like ABRP and similar tools.

Its a lot harder for the people who are jumping into an EV for the first time and have no idea how things like speed or bike racks affect range.

Reactions: DrGriz
Sometimes I think we understate the significance of this here. I bet most people that frequent a forum like this would quickly adapt with things like ABRP and similar tools.

Its a lot harder for the people who are jumping into an EV for the first time and have no idea how things like speed or bike racks affect range.
It really depends on your needs. I rarely use superchargers and have only taken 2 road trips (max 5 hours) in my MY. For me it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Reactions: DrGriz and jsight
The I5 (Ioniq 5) suspension is MUCH better than the Y as someone who has both, but you sacrafice in the sharp cornering
What year MY do you have?

The Hyundai has 235/55 tires giving 130mm of wall height vs 255/45 = 115mm in the MY. I'm sure that plays a roll but not all of it. It would be really nice if Tesla either added an active suspension to the MY or just put a softer suspension in the LR and the stiffer suspension in the performance. I upgraded the suspension in my 2020 MY with the Mountain Pass Performance coilovers. It's definitely improved and acceptable for me. It still annoys me that I had to spend an extra $3k on a $60k car to get a decent suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: Chi_Guy
Although high interest rates and a tight market will be a test for Tesla, they have positioned themselves for continued growth and they continue to school and blow away the competition. Lucid (Lucy in the Sky without Diamonds) certainly discovered that "production hell" was real.

A good assessment with actual numbers:

Tesla Humiliates Volkswagen, Mercedes - TheStreet

That doesn't, however, preclude them from keeping an eye on the rearview mirror and considering some styling updates instead of constantly pouring out new models.

Reactions: nate704
Although high interest rates and a tight market will be a test for Tesla, they have positioned themselves for continued growth and they continue to school and blow away the competition. Lucid (Lucy in the Sky without Diamonds) certainly discovered that "production hell" was real.

A good assessment with actual numbers:

Tesla Humiliates Volkswagen, Mercedes - TheStreet

That doesn't, however, preclude them from keeping an eye on the rearview mirror and considering some styling updates instead of constantly pouring out new models.
Things like high interest rates will affect everyone, although buyers that have the means to buy a $70k car are less likely to be affected than those buying a $40k car, so the effects may not be equal across the board.

The other thing to remember is that the traditional car makers don’t have the EV experience that Tesla does but they do have a long history in manufacturing and we’ve seen Tesla struggle repeatedly with quality control. At some point the quality issues will catch up with them. Hopefully they get things figured out before then.

...The other thing to remember is that the traditional car makers don’t have the EV experience that Tesla does but they do have a long history in manufacturing and we’ve seen Tesla struggle repeatedly with quality control. At some point the quality issues will catch up with them. Hopefully they get things figured out before then.
Do you have any idea how disastrous the recall/quality control issues have been for the so called "experienced" OEMs in recent years? Tesla is doing pretty well now, and OEMs are not. Hyundai, the subject of this thread has millions of ICE cars on recall for multiple serious engine problems, and don't forget the EV Kona battery fire recall.

Reactions: nate704
Just for "fun and giggles" I checked on Ioniq 5 availability in the Tucson area. Besides there not being very many the dealer I checked wanted several thousand dollars over MSRP. And I had to first fill out a form so we could "talk." Finally, checked Yelp ratings for the dealer. Oh boy...

No thanks.

Rich

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash