Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionity Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Open it up for all EVs and how many current (frustrated) Tesla drivers would then look at another brand?
My plans to buy a Y would change if that were the case.

The only way to sort out the charging mess is via government. No-one else has the leverage. The whole thing needs regulating and investment otherwise we'll have ICE cars forever.

Over half of the current cost of petrol and diesel is tax (57.95 pence per litre fuel duty and then 20% VAT added on top) so imagine the gov't doing the same to electricity for use in a vehicle.
Let's say a litre of fuel carries a car 10 miles (~45mpg), that's 7p tax/mile.
Assume supercharging is 24p/kWh and the car goes 3 miles, making it 8p/mile. This means that a similar rate of duty would double the cost of charging our cars en-route. It's worse if you're charging at home on a cheap tarrif e.g. 5p/kWh overnight, paying about 2p/mile as you'd now be paying 5x the price. I think this is why chargers need to have wifi to be eligible for the OLEV grant.

No thanks!

Reactions: Js1977
After a couple of days micro-trip to the beach at Woolacoombe we travelled back last night. M3 LR offered the plan back to Nottinghamshire - first stop Gordano services to arrive with 8% SoC. On my own I probably would have gone for it but I had a car full of stuff, 3 passengers and it was very heavy rain.

I didn't fancy diverting for the limited local Instavolt options so decided to shoot for these new Ionity units which are well located if you are coming back onto the M5 from N Devon.

I've never used Ionity before for all the reasons widely discussed on this forum but on this occasion the convience outweighed the cost and it worked out well.

Usual (non-SC experience) faffing about with payment authorisation but got it started after a couple of attempts. Started at 175kW but soon dropped to around 100kW. Slurped enough electrons to get me to Michaelwood services and left. No one else there, 4 units with bases ready for another 2 at some point in the future by the looks of it.

Definately a good option for the back pocket.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977 and timnd
After a couple of days micro-trip to the beach at Woolacoombe we travelled back last night. M3 LR offered the plan back to Nottinghamshire - first stop Gordano services to arrive with 8% SoC. On my own I probably would have gone for it but I had a car full of stuff, 3 passengers and it was very heavy rain.

I didn't fancy diverting for the limited local Instavolt options so decided to shoot for these new Ionity units which are well located if you are coming back onto the M5 from N Devon.

I've never used Ionity before for all the reasons widely discussed on this forum but on this occasion the convience outweighed the cost and it worked out well.

Usual (non-SC experience) faffing about with payment authorisation but got it started after a couple of attempts. Started at 175kW but soon dropped to around 100kW. Slurped enough electrons to get me to Michaelwood services and left. No one else there, 4 units with bases ready for another 2 at some point in the future by the looks of it.

Definately a good option for the back pocket.
Discussion here Ionity Chargers in UK

Collompton is now online according to my IFTTT via ionitychargers.com most likely free vend
View attachment 580825

that’s 11 Ionity chargers in UK with another two in development
View attachment 580826

Reactions: Roy W.