Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOW VIN!!! Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: morepizza
You do realize ALL dealers rework cars and then sell them with the customer never knowing the difference. The difference here seems to be Tesla buyers on this forum are obsessed with VIN numbers. I know because I was one of them :)

Of course, but in this case, Tesla has made fairly significant changes which improve the comfort of the vehicle. I wouldn't consider the seat re-design and windshield re-design to be minor "rework". Generally the established automakers won't make changes like this within a model year. If Tesla gives me a really hard time about it, I will accept the vehicle. But as long as they're willing to match me with a different VIN, I'll wait a few weeks more. IDGAF if they repaired a panel or touched up some paint (provided rework quality is good). IDGAF about the mfg date being 2 months old or 3 months old. IDGAF 05xxxx vs 07xxxx VIN. IDGAF if the odometer reads 1 or 41. I do care that the car is built after the production line changes around May~June, and since Tesla's VINs are roughly in order, that puts 0070xx out of the running.

Sadly, there seems to be no scientific data (db levels, spectrum analysis) that I can find on the wind noise reduction between the newer VINs and the early productions. :( The only thing I can find are multiple consistent reports of newer VINs being subjectively "significantly" (whatever that means) quieter. I admit, I'm running on nothing more than personal anecdotes of people on these (and similar forums). This is one of those areas where I expect my $52,000 Tesla to be better than my $30,000 Leaf it is replacing.

Now that I'm done complaining, I can't wait for my damn car. I just got the HPWC in the mail today. :D It goes on the wall this weekend.

Reactions: VT_EE
How to tell gen 1 seats? Wonder what else was an issue with the older VINs that is now rectified...

This is from Tsportline's site
tesla-model-3-front-and-rear-design-version-1st-2nd-generation-051818-1_1024x1024.jpg

tesla-model-3-front-and-rear-design-version-1st-2nd-generation-051818-2_1024x1024.jpg

Good catch. Yes, 62x. They are already over 117K vins and AWD just started in July so it must’ve been in one of the first batches. If so, why would it take so long to get to me?

Hard to say why, but I can tell you I was at the Salt Lake City Tesla lot today and saw several performance M3s with VINs in the 60s and they looked great! No paint or panel fit issues. All had factory wrap for shipping so they definitely were not re-worked rejects.