Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was the worst for me so far with FSD Beta. This morning when turning out of my subdivision, it accelerated WAY too hard to get up to 45mph in a 30mph zone (like it always does), but this time it went off road onto the shoulder briefly and then violently swerved back onto the marked lane...all while accelerating HARD. It was wild lol.

Then on the way home, when taking a clearly marked on ramp to the interstate, it suddenly started driving off the marked lane toward some construction signs and orange construction barrels. It was pretty close and I had to take over and jerk the yoke away from those things. I'm not sure if it would have hit them but it was very unexpected.

Then when getting close to my subdivision, it decided to try to get into the middle turning lane over 3 streets before my turn. No idea why lol.

I'm still enjoying testing but this is nowhere near ready and won't be out of beta for a LONG time.... in my opinion.

I was kind of surprised that it handled this weird teardrop-shaped roundabout:

1634766628939.png

Although it chooses the wrong lane when using the east-side entrance to go south. From the weird turn signal behavior I think it may actually be treating it as turning between separated roadway segments instead of an actual roundabout intersection, but whatever the case it gets through it fairly smoothly.

Today was the worst for me so far with FSD Beta. ...
...signs and orange construction barrels. It was pretty close and I had to take over and jerk the yoke away from those things. I'm not sure if it would have hit them but it was very unexpected.
... this is nowhere near ready and won't be out of beta for a LONG time.... in my opinion.

What does it matter if FSD is in beta or not?
It could go to widespread usage like the other beta products. It would still be out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
Zach says 150k cars are using safety scores now
We can somewhat use that to estimate FSD Beta population based on Teslascope (1698 on 2021.32.22 so 1% of "safety score fleet" -> 251 on .25/.26 FSD Beta 10 approximates 22k) and TeslaFi (4574 on 2021.32.22 so 3% -> 347 on FSD Beta 10 approximates 11k). I would expect some skew towards 100 Safety Score to get enrolled into 10.2, so actual population is probably under 10k. How does that match up with the previous 1k enrollment waves?

I can attest to the safety score still being captured. Off FSD I decided to take on of my favorite tight turns this afternoon. It's a 90degree and has a yellow 15mph sign. That was at about 38 mph. The question is can I hit a 10 (the upper gray line) before 1 - being booted from beta &/or 2 - buying new rims?

Snap12.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Scored ticked to 100 Monday night. Beta downloaded Tuesday night.
Congratulations! I’ve seen reports that the app calculates and indicates score over 30 days, but the algorithm to grant beta access is a 7 day aggegrate. Yet several people have reported getting the beta simultaneous with attaining a 100 score. Not sure what the algorithm really is.

Not sure if I will ever get it; every couple of days my score gets dinged due to hard braking, despite us never touching the brake pedal. Regen is enough to trip it.

Meanwhile, driving like grandpa, sitting at a 98 in the app, 99 if I hand calculate a rolling 7 day average. We’ll see what happens at the end of the week, providing wife doesn’t mess up the score….;-)

Initial thoughts:

Fascinating software....the difficulty of the task is huge, but they are certainly solving it. I got my masters in computer science with image processing emphasis so I know the level of tech here is ridiculous. Reminds me back in the day with dragon naturally speaking software....which was another computer science problem trying to be solved (voice recognition). Expensive software that still barely worked, and had to be trained by having users read paragraphs of text. People didn't think it could ever really be done. Now....any smart device has an uncanny level of voice recognition. I imagine this will be the same.

Anyway, if you treat the beta as an old autopilot replacement and only use it where you would have previously, then this is a large upgrade.

- Can go faster than 5 mph over the speed limit
- No more green light confirmations
- More confident when lanes merge
- Won't slow down for "blank" traffic lights anymore

What I mean by that....I have lots of these crosswalks ->View attachment 723758

that are almost never on. Same with lights like in front of a fire station. With old autopilot, it would always slow down 10-15 miles an hour unless you manually push on the accelerator. Annoying. Now it treats them properly!

For the new autopilot abilities.....it basically drives like a teenager with a learners permit. I should know...as a parent that is now teaching a teenager. I'm talking about neighborhood driving, getting into turn lanes, unprotected left/right turns, etc. Its handling protected left/right turns pretty well so far, though...maybe like a teenager that just get their license.

I'm really excited to see this software progress, and still think its an amazing technological feat so far. I'm very hopeful for the future, and will continue to use it whenever I can.

I also forgot another upgrade compared to old autopilot. It auto accepts a new higher speed limits on a city street. Before, you had to have been on autopilot at a higher speed, and if speed limit lowered, then raised again, it would allow it. But if you started at a low, you would have to manually approve the new higher speed limit. Not anymore, which is super nice.

The craziest thing to me how is much Tesla trusts their models considering their low reliability at this point. Like usually when you don't trust your models, you hardcode in some constraints like how much torque it can put on the steering wheel, limit acceleration and braking, that sort of thing. Because you know, you don't want it to overwhelm the driver's ability to take over in time. You don't want FSD abruptly swerving out of its lane because the model thought it saw a turn restriction on the pavement for a single frame, but it was really a bunch of shadows and leaves. But FSD beta will do exactly that, it doesn't seem to have any limits on its controls. If FSD commands torque steering wheel 90 degrees in an instant, that's what happens.

I'm sure they had to take limits off because they want to do 90 degree turns and aggressive merges into busy traffic but.... why??? Those features are uncomfortable, and what's the rush with shipping turns? Just ship basic Autosteer on city streets until your models are ultra reliable, then take the restraints off and let it make turns and all these other crazy features. It just seems all backwards.

Reactions: daktari and impastu
The craziest thing to me how is much Tesla trusts their models considering their low reliability at this point. Like usually when you don't trust your models, you hardcode in some constraints like how much torque it can put on the steering wheel, limit acceleration and braking, that sort of thing. Because you know, you don't want it to overwhelm the driver's ability to take over in time. You don't want FSD abruptly swerving out of its lane because the model thought it saw a turn restriction on the pavement for a single frame, but it was really a bunch of shadows and leaves. But FSD beta will do exactly that, it doesn't seem to have any limits on its controls. If FSD commands torque steering wheel 90 degrees in an instant, that's what happens.

I'm sure they had to take limits off because they want to do 90 degree turns and aggressive merges into busy traffic but.... why??? Those features are uncomfortable, and what's the rush with shipping turns? Just ship basic Autosteer on city streets until your models are ultra reliable, then take the restraints off and let it make turns and all these other crazy features. It just seems all backwards.

I can't imagine whats its like for yoke users right now. Steering wheels can auto turn very fast, and I'm very glad for a smooth, circle for a wheel that I can let slip through my hands that I can instantly grab and do a correction at anytime. Trying to grab a rectangle must be a nightmare.

I can't imagine whats its like for yoke users right now. Steering wheels can auto turn very fast, and I'm very glad for a smooth, circle for a wheel that I can let slip through my hands that I can instantly grab and do a correction at anytime. Trying to grab a rectangle must be a nightmare.
Off-centered rectangle.

I'm surprised that it doesn't look all that bad with the basic driving. I'm still waiting to see more video from the yoke on FSD Beta to make up my mind whether I like it or not. @jebinc has some experience.

My beta FSD experience today was the worst day I’ve had so far - and on well marked lightly traveled rural roads. Phantom braking, missed stop signs, full on with stopped school busses, wild yoke shaking back and forth, ...

A bit more aftermarket yoke video here, Cyber Owners just grabs whatever part of the yoke is there, seems to work for him:

Off-centered rectangle.

I'm surprised that it doesn't look all that bad with the basic driving. I'm still waiting to see more video from the yoke on FSD Beta to make up my mind whether I like it or not. @jebinc has some experience.

A bit more aftermarket yoke video here, Cyber Owners just grabs whatever part of the yoke is there, seems to work for him:

Yeah, just stinks that you have to continually move your hand/s to find a good spot to potentially grab while its turning ->

Screenshot_1.jpg

With a circular wheel, I can keep my hand (for example, left hand), in the exact same spot the entire time its moving, which is far superior. Yes, I get that the yoke when traveling straight could be better to see your instrument cluster screen but man, the more of these videos of watching people use the yoke, the more I'm disliking them.

Just received beta. Started FSD subscription last Friday when Elon said 99/100 gets it this Friday. Received 2021.32.22 last Friday and requested beta. Had a bad trip on Sunday that dropped the score to 95, running donuts during night to fix it to 99. Noticed the roll out became daily yesterday, so drove 38 miles this morning to raise the score to 100. Got beta this evening.

Added an entries in the OP's googlesheet as "FSD Beta speedrun contestant".

1634787214142-png.723873

I got to thinking what sort of events Tesla is interested in most, regarding use of the video camera icon to send video clips. They probably want mostly safety issues rather than minor nuisance issues.

Today I captured a clip of a safety issue. The car was tailgating the vehicle ahead on the freeway, and not backing off. I sent an email about it too.

I think as time goes on we'll all learn better when to use the button. I should've used it when the car didn't stop for a pedestrian that was jaywalking. I probably should not have used it when the car disengaged auto steer during a sharp turn.

By the way something really cool happened today. I was in heavy traffic, and passing a bicycle. The car moved to the far left edge of the lane as I was passing, even though there were cars in the next lane over. It was definitely recognizing the bicycle and giving them more room.

Today was the worst for me so far with FSD Beta. This morning when turning out of my subdivision, it accelerated WAY too hard to get up to 45mph in a 30mph zone (like it always does), but this time it went off road onto the shoulder briefly and then violently swerved back onto the marked lane...all while accelerating HARD. It was wild lol.

Then on the way home, when taking a clearly marked on ramp to the interstate, it suddenly started driving off the marked lane toward some construction signs and orange construction barrels. It was pretty close and I had to take over and jerk the yoke away from those things. I'm not sure if it would have hit them but it was very unexpected.

Then when getting close to my subdivision, it decided to try to get into the middle turning lane over 3 streets before my turn. No idea why lol.

I'm still enjoying testing but this is nowhere near ready and won't be out of beta for a LONG time.... in my opinion.
Agreed. That describes my last FSD experience theee days ago. Don’t plan on letting it drive again until 10.3; and that may be short lived as well. By software development methodology definition, “beta” software would never be this unrefined. This is Alpha at best, running on the development server, not production server.