Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A garbage truck was coming towards me on my street today. Rather than pulling over and stopping, my car moved to the right but kept going and my passenger mirror clipped a parked SUV’s driver side mirror. The car continued like nothing happened.

Luckily no damage to either vehicle, but apparently there is no thought given to clearance of the mirrors.

In other news, my car stopped at a red to wait for the opposing car to make a left in front of me then it blindly followed it into a driveway instead of staying on the street it just turned into. Yeah, playing follow the leader with the “blue” car.

A garbage truck was coming towards me on my street today. Rather than pulling over and stopping, my car moved to the right but kept going and my passenger mirror clipped a parked SUV’s driver side mirror. The car continued like nothing happened.

Luckily no damage to either vehicle, but apparently there is no thought given to clearance of the mirrors.

In other news, my car stopped at a red to wait for the opposing car to make a left in front of me then it blindly followed it into a driveway instead of staying on the street it just turned into. Yeah, playing follow the leader with the “blue” car.
Yes - I think the FSD drives too close to parked cars.

And it doesn't know when small mishaps happen - like hitting the curb or going over the roundabout.

Reactions: Nakk and tivoboy
mine are super wide as well. what's weird is that the red boundary is very red on these roads, which I assume means the car is very confident where drivable space meets not drivable space. I get flickering of double yellow line in the visualization sometimes due to crappy asphalt cracking in the center, and only when the double yellow shows does the car stay to the right. If the yellow lines disappear in the visualization, the car immediately heads for the center-right.
Today I went out shopping for more unpainted roads, specifically to sniff out the differences between our experiences.

It didn't take me too long to find unpainted roads where, once again, my car was squarely straddling the middle of the road. :( It exhibited this behavior regardless of width, which I was hoping to be the differentiating factor; I kinda thought that wider roads would mean the car wouldn't hug the center. Nope, not the case. It was pretty much a coin flip in whether or not the car would ride right down the middle or with the left tires being to the right side of an imaginary center stripe.

At least... it's *some* improvement, as prior to 10.4 the car would *always* go right down the middle of the bloody road.

On the roads where it was taking its half out of the middle, it would wait far too late to pull over onto the right half of the road for oncoming traffic, just as it did in previous versions. I only tried this once, as I didn't feel like having to smile, wave, and mouth "sorry" to more than one driver today. ;)

Edit to add: I did pay attention to the display to see if it was painting ghost centerline striping on the monitor. Nope, it wasn't. So it does look like this might be an area that they are actively trying to improve.
Oh and creeping too far into the road.
This is so aggravating! I've had it creep so darn far that the turn was completely over with and it was still creeping! Well... maybe not quite to that extreme, but it sure seems like it.

Reactions: nvx1977
It does think about the mirrors on itself. (We can see it fold the mirrors to thread the needle through tight spaces.) But it must not have accurately seen how far the other vehicles mirrors were sticking out.

Hopefully you captures a snapshot for that, and have emailed the FSD beta team so that they can work on that issue.

Reactions: Phlier
I might be wrong, but I feel like it doesn't have any specific controls programmed in for roundabouts, judging from the way the turns signals work and the stop/yield behavior. It just seems to approach them identically to any unprotected right turn onto a secondary roadway, and then taking left or right forks along the way. The roadway just happens to be in a tightly-curved, circular geometry. But if there's multi-lanes it can all fall apart.

Yes - I think the FSD drives too close to parked cars.
Another reason not to drive that close to parked cars is the risk of a driver's side door on the parked car suddenly opening in front of you. It's close to unpredictable and can happen without sufficient reaction distance available. As a human driver, I try to allow that room.

Not sure if I noticed this on 10.3 but with 10.4, when on a two lane road and a large vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction, the Tesla moves to the right side of my lane to allow for more separation. Much like I would . Also had my first encounter with a bicyclist in my lane. As I approached, the car slowed and verified the opposite lane was clear, crossed the double yellow line, and gave plenty of room to the cyclist. Those were two very impressive notes I made for today.

On the down side, if there is a lane closure ahead with a flag man holding a stop sign, the car approaches it way too fast. I had to take control as to not scare her. Don’t know if it would have proceeded and crossed into the opposite lane that was open, didn’t think it was appropriate to test it where I was at.

Another reason not to drive that close to parked cars is the risk of a driver's side door on the parked car suddenly opening in front of you. It's close to unpredictable and can happen without sufficient reaction distance available. As a human driver, I try to allow that room.
Yes - if I detect any kind of life in or near the car I disengage. Only if the car looks parked & dark with no one around, I let FSD drive.

Not sure if I noticed this on 10.3 but with 10.4, when on a two lane road and a large vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction, the Tesla moves to the right side of my lane to allow for more separation.
Yes - this has been happening since we all got beta.

One annoying thing though is the car comes back to center of the lane too soon ( technically the opposite vehicle would have passed, but looks like the car starts returning when I can still see the other vehicle next to me). It needs to wait a second for a second after the car has passed.

I don't think many folks have had a chance to run the recent beta's in the snow. I'm sad to report that even a skiff of snow covering the lines makes it go kinda bonkers. I'm hoping that as more training data comes in through this winter, it gets better.
When you say bonkers - what exactly happens ?

BTW, there are a lot of videos of FSD driving on snow covered roads from earlier this year, like this one.

When you say bonkers - what exactly happens ?

BTW, there are a lot of videos of FSD driving on snow covered roads from earlier this year, like this one.

Quick context: I'm up in Alaska, and this testing was in Anchorage. I'm assuming this is one of the only areas in the USA to have snow on the ground since last winter.

When driving in early winter here it is common for the road to become clear in the center of lanes where cars drive, however the yellow dividing line will remain covered in snow. Currently Beta doesn't seem to be able to determine correctly where lines are when they are covered in snow. As a human I do by looking for a small amount of uncovered line and carrying it forward under the snow, assuming the line type does not change. This does not look to be the case yet for beta.

I also had the interesting experience of taking my model 3 through a blizzard ~2 weeks ago on a 2 lane highway (Look up the Parks highway south of Cantwell). Unsurprisingly, beta can not handle this at all (Nothing on the visualization at all). I wonder if rumble strip recognition will ever be incorporated? We call it driving by braille up here!

Car still struggles with the first 4 turns it makes every day when I leave my neighborhood. No traffic and it still can’t do the turns without my intervening by pushing the accelerator. Also cross over the middle of the road way too much, and even stops at the two stop signs partially in the incoming lane.

Will 10.5 be any better?
I am beginning to doubt it. Thousands of beta testers with little to nothing to show for all the data they have collected, so far.
You're missing the big picture. First, there is an incredible amount to "show for it." What Beta can do right now was science fiction just a couple of years ago. Second, each small improvement is additive. My car can already navigate situations successfully that it couldn't with 10.2. Small improvements to be sure, but they add up over time. Third, you're forgetting Dojo. I'm sure right now Tesla is gathering more data from Beta testers than they can actually use. But what happens when the world's most powerful AI training computer--also literally the world's most powerful super computer-- is online and analyzing all of the data we're collecting now? Try not to be "immediate gratification" dependent. As a society we've gone down that path and very little good has ever come from it.

It's just amazing to me that people can be so "meh" about a system that can occasionally drive across town all by itself with no interventions. Consistently? No. But the fact that it can do it at all should blow your mind. It's like the moon landings. After the third one, people stopped even watching. So many people--that didn't know any better--thought it had become "easy." This is like that, even more so. It's mind boggling to watch. If you're not impressed with the progress, you don't understand the magnitude of the achievement. You're part of something that will change the world forever, even if it is a small part.

You're missing the big picture. First, there is an incredible amount to "show for it." What Beta can do right now was science fiction just a couple of years ago. Second, each small improvement is additive. My car can already navigate situations successfully that it couldn't with 10.2. Small improvements to be sure, but they add up over time. Third, you're forgetting Dojo. I'm sure right now Tesla is gathering more data from Beta testers than they can actually use. But what happens when the world's most powerful AI training computer--also literally the world's most powerful super computer-- is online and analyzing all of the data we're collecting now? Try not to be "immediate gratification" dependent. As a society we've gone down that path and very little good has ever come from it.

It's just amazing to me that people can be so "meh" about a system that can occasionally drive across town all by itself with no interventions. Consistently? No. But the fact that it can do it at all should blow your mind. It's like the moon landings. After the third one, people stopped even watching. So many people--that didn't know any better--thought it had become "easy." This is like that, even more so. It's mind boggling to watch. If you're not impressed with the progress, you don't understand the magnitude of the achievement. You're part of something that will change the world forever, even if it is a small part.

I agree with everything you said. at the same time, I got frustrated with 10.4. regression behaviors are really annoying. still love the privilege of helping the system get better.

I have my FSD Beta profile set to Chill and I still keep rolling through stop signs. Why doesn’t it stop for stop signs? I must be missing something.

Mine's on Assertive and it rolled through exactly 1 stop sign just 1 time for me... Otherwise frustratingly slow even when there are no cars around.

Finally found 1 thing 10.4 seems to do better - today it took a very sharp turn (not far off from 180 degrees) with far less hesitation and wobbles in the steering wheel. Sample size of only 1 try on 10.3.1 and 1 on 10.4 though. However, random 90 degree turns in a residential area with cars parked at the corners were extra wobbly today, probably more so on 10.4 than before. Also felt extra hesitation when pulling up to stop signs even when the cross-street is completely clear before, during, and after the turn. Crawls up to the intersection, then waits way too long to go. Neural networks giveth, neural networks taketh away.

EDIT: also phantom braking all over the place and random resets to 15mph on some residential streets. Sometimes hard to tell whether the car is hesitating or if it picked up a new limit of 15mph from somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and UCF3