Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just used 10.8 for a short drive home. It's clearly better than 10.6.1 to me.

Stuff I noticed on the short drive:

1) Merged onto highway with confidence and smoothness I've never seen before, considering the merge had a lot of cars, and fsd had to sandwich between two cars with about 10 feet either side, at ~65mph.

2) Unprotected right turn, I used the accelerator b/c someone was behind me, but fsd didn't accidentally go into the wide bike lane as it normally does. Instead, it hesitated a little bit but essentially turned into the correct lane.

Bad stuff:

1) FSD does some weird swing left before making some right turns or lane changes. Happened twice, never happened before.

Just came back from a 30 minute drive. In general I'm disappointed so far in both the UI and FSD. UI changes take time to get used to so I may end up liking it but the most obvious voice commands didn't work. I suspect Tesla will fix that but when you don't immediately know the UI, working voice commands would sure help.

FSD 10.8 had more regressions than improvements for me but I also know after more drives I may change my mind. Have a 150 mile drive mostly highway tomorrow so that will be interesting.
Regressions/Still Bad
  • Wheel jerkiness increased
  • Missed the largest speedbump I drive over
  • UI related but I miss the ability to simply swipe down from the navigation button to go "Home". Takes 2 screen taps now.
  • In my neighborhood with turns coming up within a tenth of a mile the car speeds up then has to immediately brake. This had been fixed in an earlier build.
  • Missed the turn to my street. Had been fixed on a previous build.
  • Swerved several times for unknown reasons.
  • Fewer phantom braking events but had a couple that were worse than usual.
  • Rotaries are still crap. Stop, take a nap and then creep into the rotary.
  • In general an increase in jerky acceleration which had gotten better recently.
  • Didn't notice any improvement in regenerative braking.
  • Stopped too far behind Stop signs. Always a problem but 10.8 seems worse.
  • Tried to pull out in front of an oncoming car (unprotected left).
  • Still stays too far to the left when approaching an intersection leaving very little room for drivers trying to turn onto the street I'm on.
Improvements
  • 90 degree right turns continue to improve
  • General smoothness on winding secondary roads
  • Sharp curves. Didn't seem to get as close to the yellow line as before.
  • Got into one turning lane correctly for a change

I'd like them to move the steering wheel back next to the TACC speed setting ("Max") - then it can be as large as before / a little bigger.

1640396581557.png
Ditto. Downsizing the steering wheel was a terrible idea. Especially since the default visualization area does not change size automatically when you engage FSD. You want a visual cue to determine the driving mode at a glance. The smaller it is, the more indeterminate the color can become.

OK, this is my first impression of both the 11.0 update and Beta 10.8. You all know me. I'm pretty upbeat on FSD and Tesla. I've always had something positive to say. Not now. Sorry, but the 11.0 UI and Beta 10.8 suck. I mean, really really suck. For the first time since I've owned a Tesla I had to turn off AP on the freeway. Not intervene, just turn it off before it killed me. And the UI? JC, what idiot thought shrinking the font even further was a good idea? Lots more to complain about, but that will do for now. Bear in mind, this is the first thing I've ever posted about a Tesla that wasn't highly positive.

Last edited:
10.8 with a couple drives (90/10 highway/city split)

Good:
* Full-screen view is great
* I didn’t think I’d care about the blind spot camera feature but it’s actually pretty nice to have.
* Not sure when this happened, but they fixed blinkers blinding half the repeater cam at night. Image in the dash cam view is nice and clear.
* Braking does seem smoother - engages physical brakes at around 5mph as far as I can tell. Need to try some hills next as those have been jerky before.

Bad:
* Still skittish around bike racks (e.g. bike share type racks full of bikes) and some parked cars
* 2 times overshot a turn, corrected sharply, looked drunk from the outside I’m sure. Same as 10.5 on the same turns.
* Same weird behavior with one left turn that has a dedicated left turn lane. Didn’t use the blinker, seemed to really hesitate to go into the lane. I disengaged to do it myself. Had similar experiences on 10.5 with the same turn.
* Many phantom cones seen on the freeway caused by reflections from the road markings. Had to disable NoA to avoid incoherent lane changes.
* Emergency vehicle lights detections causing phantom braking on the freeway. No emergency vehicles around, no flashing lights. Nice that the feature exists, but needs tuning.
* Also not an “FSD” thing but it still exhibits this stupid issue where if you are in the second to the right lane on the freeway and the right lane merges into yours directly after an exit, any car that exits will be perceived as if it is going to merge into your lane. Because of this, it attempts to slow itself to stay behind the exiting car even after it has clearly left the freeway. I first noticed this with the original NoA releases years back. Hoping the "one stack" version solves this once and for all.

Ugly:
* New interface is finicky if you want to have the music app shown with the full-screen view, whether it’s Spotify or Bluetooth. Spotify seemed to reappear in the compact view consistently, Bluetooth disappears most of the time once you enable the full screen view, though occasionally it seems to stay. Not sure if there's a way to bring up the compact version when you have the full-screen viz and no music app shown.
* I am curious about efficiency and I hate that it takes 2 taps to get the efficiency info, and there is no way to check it briefly without obscuring half the screen
* I wish we could add just 1 more icon to the dock
* I like that most of the driving status icons get squished to the left in the full-screen view; however the acceleration/regen line gets squished too, and it can hide the reduced regen/acceleration dots. Not sure why mine showed limited power tonight, but it was only obvious in the "compact" view and not in the full-screen visualization view.

Last edited:
Tried 10.8 this morning, I was on the 10.5 before. Dry roads daylight no sun. Acceleration on chill. FSD, average. Use a 4 mile course (same one I used before) on back roads little or no traffic. Similar problems as before but less pronounced. Crossing yellow center line when making right turns (no oncoming traffic) moving slightly left to make right turn and crossing yellow line when finishing turn (no traffic in intersection). The speed control is better entering and leaving the turn, on right hand curves still crossing the center line with no oncoming traffic. Not as much jerking in the steering as with 10.5. I cannot define or clearly state why or what made me feel more confident in the driving that I witnessed, it could be I am more accustomed to the moves the care makes or it could be the car is driving better, I really don't know (as I drive and use it more maybe it will become clearer). I agree with what others have stated about the display, blue/gray steering wheel needs to be larger and should be collocated with TACC. All warnings should be symbols and in a common location (upper left of screen) along with warning noise to alert you to check. The shifter position indicator (RPND) has changed from (RNPND) does not reflect accurately the neutral positon between R and P I don't know why they changed that. The fact that the D is blue as is the Wheel symbol when engaged could cause confusion. I liked the the light show a lot as did the grandkids.

I got the FSD 10.8 update Christmas Eve about 2pm. Cancelled my FSD subscription today. I drive mostly curvy 2 lane roads and it is just not good enough to be usable. Still phantom brakes, although it is better than 10.3 and earlier. Still can't navigate a roundabout without stopping completely. Creeps out too far and into traffic at some stop signs.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and impastu
And the UI? JC, what idiot thought shrinking the font even further was a good idea?

The v11 UI is half-baked. Go to the Model S forums for a lot of conversation on the topic. :) I'm sure it will improve. A font size option would be great to see.

That said, coming from a M3 into a refresh MS, I'm very happy with the new software and largely find it an upgrade.

I'd like them to move the steering wheel back next to the TACC speed setting ("Max") - then it can be as large as before / a little bigger
Looks like the "D"rive indicator only turns blue with Autosteer, which additionally shows the small blue steering wheel. Plain TACC indeed only shows the blue "MAX" and gray "D" and wheel (if available). Now that the visualization can be kept open/maximized, the size is no longer an indicator that FSD Beta is active -- it even stays full screen (and relatively empty) for NoA highway driving.

One issue I've had for testing FSD with the new waypoint interface is that it seems like the current stop only gets removed if you park. Before waypoints, I could at least change navigation with the ⅔ visualization (where I would enter a street name without address to have FSD Beta take more complicated routes). Now if one uses the full screen visualization, changing destinations or removing waypoint stops while still moving requires resizing the visualization (without accidentally spinning the view) to then edit the destination. At least with waypoints, it's easier to set up multiple destinations then remove them one by one as you approach.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Hate to be that guy, but there is no way we are getting level 3 or 4 within even a few years on current cars as Musk promised. There are such small improvements with each update and many things go backwards. I was “lucky” to have this once fsd was released to public. Every update provides such little improvement and really has not eliminated any major issues since inception.

There is def going to be a class action lawsuit sooner than later. Not sure when but based on progress and misleading quotes from musk himself going back to 2016, I’m. It sure where else this will go.

Hope I’m wrong and truly want this to work but I see no reality anytime soon.

Last edited:
With only one drive under my belt for V11 it does seem improved.
  • When doing right turns it seems to move farther right which might be the bike lane "sensitivity" that was mentioned in the release notes. One issue that I still need to test is when the car stops in the middle of the right lane at a stop rather than close to the left side of the lane. I am not turning but the fact that the car is in the center of the lane blocks anyone trying to turn right. They don't like this. :)
  • When approaching the line for a stop it behaves in a more "natural" fashion, slowing and stopping at the line.
  • One of my biggest pet peeves, accelerating like a 90 year old driver :))) seems to be better. Starting from a stop light or sign I no longer seem to be watching the traffic in front of me fade into the distance before it finally gets up to speed.
  • Some turns seem to be more squared than before. Need to investigate this more.
  • Love the blind spot camera!
One of my biggest improvement wishes does not seem any better. This is related to other drivers never being able to stay in the center of their lane. If I pass a driver on the right or left in a multi lane road and the driver that I'm passing is hugging the line my car does not offset to the right / left accordingly. This is worse when passing a truck. I think that we used to call this behavior "truck envy" which was supposedly fixed. The funny thing is that when I pass closely due to this happening I always look back and see the other driver overcorrect in the opposite direction, almost as if to say "man that was too close".

Overall I do like the new interface and it seems less cluttered. Dark more is appreciated as well.

... no way we are getting level 3 ...
L3 seems so easy. Just following another car under a certain speed on limited access freeway. Could Elon enable this when ever he feels like it? Is pothole detection needed? Just assume the other car doesn't fall in the hole? Does seem like a little more robustness would help. Will FSD know if a truck and or trailer has a long pole sticking out long ways from behind?