Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I’m wondering why it stopped I notice 3 pedestrians in the crosswalk on the other side of the median.
I only have very rare phantom braking > 20 MPH. In the past I've simply been ready to nudge the electron pedal to goose it a bit. But also with 10.69.25.2, I've noticed apparent reasons for it like yours above that I had not noticed before - i.e., bicyclist, or a pedestrian on the corner facing traffic, or a child running perpendicular towards the street. Of course, you don't expect them to jump out into traffic either. But I've modified my behavior - at least in the first second or two of such a slowdown, I'll be scanning the horizon before hitting the go pedal in addition to checking following traffic. I don't really count those as PB incidents anyway - just being cautious. But I'm honestly amazed as it happens regularly where FSD picked up on a potential situation before I did.

Of course, the "slow down for pedestrian" needs a good amount of maturing to do but it has come a long way.

On good and one bad experience from 69.25.2 yesterday-
The bad:
stopped at a stop sign to make an unprotected left onto a 2 lane undivided road. I have to wait for someone coming from my right making a left turn onto my road (They have no stop and have the right of way.) As the car’s making a left turn in front of me FSD decides to start creeping forward, potentially entering the path of the car turning left. Why do you creep forward when you can see that you have to wait?

The good:
Driving on a road with a small (3 ft) median when the car suddenly brakes. As I’m wondering why it stopped I notice 3 pedestrians in the crosswalk on the other side of the median. I’m pretty sure it annoyed the person behind me but the pedestrians had the right of way and FSD was absolutely correct in stopping.
That creep is very dangerous & is something I’ve noticed too. Especially with how ppl cut intersection corners.
I only have very rare phantom braking > 20 MPH. In the past I've simply been ready to nudge the electron pedal to goose it a bit. But also with 10.69.25.2, I've noticed apparent reasons for it like yours above that I had not noticed before - i.e., bicyclist, or a pedestrian on the corner facing traffic, or a child running perpendicular towards the street. Of course, you don't expect them to jump out into traffic either. But I've modified my behavior - at least in the first second or two of such a slowdown, I'll be scanning the horizon before hitting the go pedal in addition to checking following traffic. I don't really count those as PB incidents anyway - just being cautious. But I'm honestly amazed as it happens regularly where FSD picked up on a potential situation before I did.

Of course, the "slow down for pedestrian" needs a good amount of maturing to do but it has come a long way.
Some of those slowdowns are very good. Others are when it is tracking a vehicle that is coming toward its path, but is stopping before entering its path. I’ve had it do hard braking often for oncoming left turning vehicles that come close to entering its path but stop just in time. As a human I’m tracking those vehicles & watching for signs that they are correctly going to stop before entering my path as I expect. But the car is way more skittish. I would expect the car to be able to measure the deceleration of the oncoming car to know it’s stopping, but it doesn’t seem able to do that well without radar anymore.

I'd recommend to your acquaintance that they open a ticket and have service force the firmware back down to the car to ensure there isn't some software corruption. If it happens again afterwards, the computer might need to be replaced.

Isn't there something in the service menu to revert firmware. Not sure but I swore I saw something last time I was in there. Of course that menu seems to keep changing too.

That creep is very dangerous & is something I’ve noticed too. Especially with how ppl cut intersection corners.
Agreed - I've also had it start to creep out when cross traffic is clearly visible. I can see the creep line and know it will stop, but to the cross traffic it looks like I'm starting to pull out into traffic and I've had people appropriately react.

Agreed - I've also had it start to creep out when cross traffic is clearly visible. I can see the creep line and know it will stop, but to the cross traffic it looks like I'm starting to pull out into traffic and I've had people appropriately react.
That stinks. I try to teach my kids that the most important thing they can do while driving is to be predictable.

5F43E640-C9A1-4057-8435-37FF67A6C3C0.gif

First outing with 11.3 (2022.45.11) today. A few observations, by no means extensive, some of them documented in the release notes.
  • It slows down reasonably now when the speed limit drops instead of rolling on inappropriately fast as it did. Yay!
  • The yellow line visualization is more of a dirty yellow than the bright one it was.
  • The red lines for the edge of the roadway are gone.
  • The blue line indicating your path is now really fat.
  • I still had to take over several times when it did dumb or scary things, like edging in towards approaching traffic. Who knows what the other driver thinks?
  • Approaching a right turn where several cars were lined up waiting their turns, our car tried to pass them all on the left. Very rude.
  • Now that FSD instead of old AP is in charge on the freeway, the blue button to turn Navigate on Autopilot on and off is gone. This concerns me. In crazy traffic on a 3- or 4-lane freeway, I often turn it off since I don't want the car lane hunting, whereas in open freeway traffic I'm happy to let it change lanes. Maybe there's some new way to turn this on and off that I haven't found yet.
  • Still some random lane change indications that come and go all by themselves, like it's vacillating.
  • When you do take over, it asks for a voice report of why.
  • Still some "Changing lanes to follow route" when no such change is in fact necessary.
  • I had the sense (unconfirmed) that the frame rate of the repeater cameras when signaling and the rear camera were much improved. It didn't feel jerky as it used to.
  • My car is still filthy. I thought V11 had an auto-clean feature.

Now that FSD instead of old AP is in charge on the freeway, the blue button to turn Navigate on Autopilot on and off is gone. This concerns me. In crazy traffic on a 3- or 4-lane freeway, I often turn it off since I don't want the car lane hunting,
Why on earth would you have done this when you can just turn off lane changes? You don’t like the (mild) reminder dinging?

I guess maybe you like the lane changes some of the time but not all the time? That would make sense I guess. Though I have found that it is impossible under any circumstances for it to pick the correct lane - it is probably wrong more than 50% of the time (last time I checked three years ago, though I can tell from its requests it is still not good at it). Tough problem - requires incredible skill!
Maybe there's some new way to turn this on and off that I haven't found yet.
Following distance control apparently. Like the wipers. Imperfect substitute.

It actually seems like for your preferences it may well be perfect.

Last edited:
Now that FSD instead of old AP is in charge on the freeway, the blue button to turn Navigate on Autopilot on and off is gone. This concerns me. In crazy traffic on a 3- or 4-lane freeway, I often turn it off since I don't want the car lane hunting, whereas in open freeway traffic I'm happy to let it change lanes. Maybe there's some new way to turn this on and off that I haven't found yet.
Yes - when on the freeway, engage FSD Beta and use the right wheel side toggle to change follow distance - you'll now see a mode switch for Chill, Average, and Assertive as well as a toggle for temporarily disabling lane changes. It will only change for route planning for the rest of the trip.

First outing with 11.3 (2022.45.11) today. A few observations, by no means extensive, some of them documented in the release notes.
  • It slows down reasonably now when the speed limit drops instead of rolling on inappropriately fast as it did. Yay!
  • The yellow line visualization is more of a dirty yellow than the bright one it was.
  • The red lines for the edge of the roadway are gone.
  • The blue line indicating your path is now really fat.
  • I still had to take over several times when it did dumb or scary things, like edging in towards approaching traffic. Who knows what the other driver thinks?
  • Approaching a right turn where several cars were lined up waiting their turns, our car tried to pass them all on the left. Very rude.
  • Now that FSD instead of old AP is in charge on the freeway, the blue button to turn Navigate on Autopilot on and off is gone. This concerns me. In crazy traffic on a 3- or 4-lane freeway, I often turn it off since I don't want the car lane hunting, whereas in open freeway traffic I'm happy to let it change lanes. Maybe there's some new way to turn this on and off that I haven't found yet.
  • Still some random lane change indications that come and go all by themselves, like it's vacillating.
  • When you do take over, it asks for a voice report of why.
  • Still some "Changing lanes to follow route" when no such change is in fact necessary.
  • I had the sense (unconfirmed) that the frame rate of the repeater cameras when signaling and the rear camera were much improved. It didn't feel jerky as it used to.
  • My car is still filthy. I thought V11 had an auto-clean feature.
Thanks for sharing your helpful observations.

My wife reported on first driving past a 55 to 45 speed limit change (which has vexed us for many repetitions over months) with this release that for the first time ever she did not get a "ding" for being too much over the speed limit on reaching a point a couple of hundred feet past the sign.

Specifically:
1. It started slowing down before the limit change, whereas before it had always waited until the change point.
2. The rate of deceleration was considerably more than before.

On the same car, I had personally observed earlier that the deceleration provided in response to scroll wheel max reduction was much more than on previous releases: "enough to be useful".

Plenty of people may not care, but improvement in deceleration in these two conditions is a major "comfort and enjoyment" plus for us.

I'm sure in some localities the speed limit change behavior will now be slowing more and sooner than is local custom. But owners there can more easily adjust the behavior to their liking with a little scroll wheel adjusting than can those of us inconvenienced in the opposite direction.