Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had this happen as well, twice so far. The only thing I can possibly imagine causing it is thermal-related issues. It seems to happen after very long drives, once the car cools down for a few hours it goes away. Looks almost like a GPU overheating on a computer. Had a Tesla ranger out here to look at it and he couldn't reproduce it of course, but he said they're "looking into it" and have "never seen it before", at least here in Victoria, BC. Firmware version 2019.20.4.4

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_2205207.jpg
    IMG_20190714_2205207.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 257
Our 5 week old Model 3 is in the shop for this very issue right now. It has been there for almost 10 days. They can see it, and say they have involved Tesla engineering to troubleshoot the problem. They say thay have approval to replace "the computer", which I assume means the MCU? Current status is waiting for parts. Hope to have it back in a day or two. Will post the eventual solution once we get it back. Kinda disappointed to have a brand new car in the shop for a week and a half, but living on the bleeding edge of tech will lead to that sometimes. Still LOVE the car. Our car was built on 6/6/19 and delivered 6/7/19.

Our 5 week old Model 3 is in the shop for this very issue right now. It has been there for almost 10 days. They can see it, and say they have involved Tesla engineering to troubleshoot the problem. They say thay have approval to replace "the computer", which I assume means the MCU? Current status is waiting for parts. Hope to have it back in a day or two. Will post the eventual solution once we get it back. Kinda disappointed to have a brand new car in the shop for a week and a half, but living on the bleeding edge of tech will lead to that sometimes. Still LOVE the car. Our car was built on 6/6/19 and delivered 6/7/19.
Did they manage to reproduce it or was it always happening for you?

Update so far: took the car to Santa Clara service center, they told me I needed to take it to delivery. Took it up there and the Fremont Fremont Delivery Hub Supervisor was super helpful. Showed it to the staff in the back and they agreed it looks like damage from shipping but no one was sure *why* it would have been shipped. She suspected something like maybe it was sent down to LA or some such and then back up after I ordered. They must have sorted that out because the repair has been approved under warranty. Dropping the car off Monday. Will report back on the solution.
How did this go? I have damage to all my jack points as well but not as bad as yours and interested how your repairs went.

I took delivery recently and had service fix some fit and finish issues. When I got it back, I saw the jack points are damaged. Not sure if this happened at service or at Tesla's outsourced body shop or if it was already like that at delivery.

Is this fixable damage? Looks integrated into the body? I am outside of the return period now. I sent the images to the service manager and he responded asking for pictures further away and then hasn't responded back yet.

upload_2019-7-26_22-4-59.png

upload_2019-7-26_22-4-21.png

upload_2019-7-26_22-3-53.png

upload_2019-7-26_22-3-18.png

Ouch. I think I've seen similar pictures posted before. My theory is that it happened in the factory. Maybe they use the jack points to hold the car in place and sometimes there is a collision of some sort. Note how all of them are pulled in the same direction. I doubt it's fixable.

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn
Are all of them damaged in the same direction?
Yep, all the same direction.

Annoying, but doesn’t look like it’d do harm if it’s left that way. It would still likely function properly and it’s out of sight.
Yea, they are a little out of round, but would probably work I assume, other than weaker now and more susceptible to rust. I'll ask them to fix under the warranty and see where that goes.

Here’s one of the other threads: 2019 Model 3 Performance jack points ruined :(
You commented on it!

Yea, that didn't age well... First I said I thought I had it bad when my rims were damaged during transport. Then I followed up after buying another model 3 asking how the repairs went because mine are damaged too, hehe. I am still interested in how these cases have been handled by Tesla in the past to compare to how they respond to mine.

Thanks for the reminder. I took the car to a Tesla Service Center on June 24, they sent me to a body shop, gave me a rental. The car was at the body shop for a week and they contacted me saying they wanted me to take my car back because the approval from Tesla was "backed up" or whatever.

Meanwhile I got a response from a Tesla website inquiry I'd sent before taking the car in directly, asking if the issue was resolved. I told them all of the above. The reply was:

I have reached out to your service team to see if they can provide the body shop with the proper repair that needs to be completed. While we are waiting for them to reach back out to you or your body shop, I would recommend to call the body shop you were working with to see if they can provide an update on this repair as well.

This was July 15, I haven't heard anything since. I'm not going to contact the body shop, that's silly as they have no control.

So, I'm back in my car, it's still damaged, and I highly doubt anyone is going to contact me until I start complaining again...

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Have to hope they stop using the jack points as tie down connections given that someone else this week reported similar damage.

Maybe wheel straps?

Thanks for the reminder. I took the car to a Tesla Service Center on June 24, they sent me to a body shop, gave me a rental. The car was at the body shop for a week and they contacted me saying they wanted me to take my car back because the approval from Tesla was "backed up" or whatever.

Meanwhile I got a response from a Tesla website inquiry I'd sent before taking the car in directly, asking if the issue was resolved. I told them all of the above. The reply was:

This was July 15, I haven't heard anything since. I'm not going to contact the body shop, that's silly as they have no control.

So, I'm back in my car, it's still damaged, and I highly doubt anyone is going to contact me until I start complaining again...