Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been thinking that I should get a temporary spare to carry on road trips. Although I expect that to be more costly than your method, it seems easier. Just the floor jack, one Model 3 jack pad and the spare is all you would need to rotate your tires. It wouldn't be very fast, but then I'm never very fast on any car maintenance!
I'd get a full size spare, personally. When I'm on a road trip, I don't usually want to take the space for a jack and spare, but would rely on roadside assistance.

Most of the time these days when I have a flat, it is a relatively slow leak that is discovered in the morning before leaving. The full size spare could be put on and the car driven until I get the chance to get the flat one repaired. Plus being able to use it during tire rotation. I wouldn't want to drive with an off-size spare but for a few miles.

Don't waste your money on $ 600 JackPoints (2 jacks) or the other supplier that wants $ 130 per wheel plus the Tesla adapter. Go to Harbor freight and buy there 1,250 lb. wheel lift (Lifts a 5,000 lb. car, at 89.99 less 20%) and then place an adapter (I use K-Motors but other will work I'm sure) and place a 8.5 in to 9 inch jack stand under the adapter (I have a tool shop and can make my own) or just stack 6 by 6's and add 2 by 4's under the adapter or else go to your local big box store and buy cheap shelving cut into 12 by 12 section. This brings all wheels off the floor ~ 1/2 inch for winter storage or tire rotation. I still think lifting from the trailing links is ok as I do in my other vehicles but don't want to buck Tesla's recommendation. If I just wanted to do a tire rotation would probably use the adapters plus 2 hydraulic lifts but want to take all weight off the tires for the winter and that option won't work. (I don't trust hydraulic lifts for 6 months)

Thanks for posting this. This is the best solution I've seen yet! I do have one question. What jack stands are you using? I made my adapters out of hockey pucks and they are flush on the bottom but most jack stands are angled. Did you make special adapters to fit your jack stands or did you find jack stands that are flush on the top?

So I figured out a way to put my Model 3 on 4 jack stands. This made tire rotation easy and I know there are easier ways to do this but they cost much more. I only had to spend $70 plus tax for the two All-in-One jack stands since I already had everything else.

Tools:

1 Rolling floor jack

2 Jack stands (shorter is better)

2 All-in-One jack stands (3 ton)

1 2x8 cut in half (2-4’ sections)

5 hockey pucks

The floor jack must fit under the lift points with a hockey puck and then must lift to 14” high to the top of the hockey puck.

A great alternative would be to use 4 All-in-One jack stands to raise the Model 3 up much higher. I am sure the 2 ton version works too but the 3 ton were half the price.

1 Jack up the right front with floor jack

2 Place All-in-One jack at right rear lift point

3 Lower and remove floor jack

4 Raise the All-in-One high enough and place jack stand under right front lift point then lower the All-in-One to its lowest level

5 Jack up the left rear with rolling floor jack and place front jack stand at front left lift point and 2 layers of 2x8’s under left rear tire

6 Lower and remove the floor jack

7 Raise the right rear All-in-One till the other All-in-One fits under the left rear lift point

8 Raise the left rear All-in-One till you can remove the 2x8’s

9 Adjust the heights of the All-in-Ones as desired keeping them as close to the same height as possible
You can raise the entire side of the car with one jack on the front or rear jack pad. Tire rotation should be front to rear and not crossways. (Not good for tires to change their direction of rotation.)
Raise one side of the car and rotate tires on that side. Raise the other side.
Only needs one floor jack.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
The jack stands I ended up using were from Harbor Freight (I gave my ones I cut down to a friend with a S) I did not use the top part that ratchets and the stand can support either way and reduces it down to ~ 9 inches as I remember. I store my 3 in the mid-west for the winter and take my S to Florida. I'll do the same for the S in the summer when I return in the Spring. I just like to take the weight or at least the majority of the weight off the tires when it's not used for 5 or 6 months so I need to get all 4 tires off the floor. That's a nice price for the adapters (above) make sure they hold on there own, it's a little difficult to hold the adapter and lower the car and need to be ultra careful if you do this. The wheel lift on it's own I found to be a little tight so I used 2 - 2 by 6's on each side of the wheel under the wheel lift to increase the height another 1.75 inches. Start with the front first so the rears are locked to the ground on one side and just to be doubly safe block the other front. Probably not needed to added safety is always a good thing. If you need more ground clearance use stacked 2 by 6's for 3.5 inches of added lift.

I rotate my tires front to back and only lift one side at the time. I don't bother with jack stands. Instead, I use two floor jacks. One for the front and one for the back, and put wheel chocks on the other side of the car. I know it is safer to use a jack stand. But I am never under the car. So it is a risk I am willing to take. This method saves me so much more time. Also, getting an adapter from harbor freight so you can use your sockets with a cordless drill saves a lot of time too. The adapters only cost a few bucks.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciditad
Ebay sells a floor jack with a 'locking safety bar' that puts the weight on a steel bar instead of the hydraulics.
Powerbuilt 2 Ton Xtra Low Profile Floor Jack, 2-3/4" to 15-1/4" Range, 620479E | eBay
It's $133 so cheaper to buy 4 of there.

Might wanna have a look at the reviews on Amazon for that Jack. I always read 1 Star reviews on anything and there are a lot of them on that jack. It looked impressive, but looks are deceiving. That's one reason I don't like ebay, because of lack of product reviews.

You have to be careful trusting some reviews on Amazon though. But the reviews appear legit on this.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-620479E-Profile-Floor-Safety/dp/B00OCIBPIM

I tried the one jack on the front and the height needed to raise the rear was I felt unsafe. If you just want to do a tire rotation use 2 pneumatic jacks front and rear with adapters. It's easy and pneumatic jacks are cheap. This thread is a little divergent as some just want to rotate tires while others (me) want to get jack stands under there vehicle to take the weight off the tires or work underneath. If working underneath some sort of jack stands are the only way to safely proceed. The earlier question if my adapter are flush, K-Motors are slightly rounded and the jack stands with the top of the jack removed makes a nice impact with these. I guess hockey puck would do the same I'm just a little leery of them cracking. After spending 50k on a car spend 60 to 100 USD on high quality adapters is my recommendation.

If using bottle jacks need to use the stubby ones. The all in one jack stands are a great idea but did not fit under the vehicle or come close unless you drive the vehicle up on ramps then raise the car and remove the ramps. You will need 4 ramps to do this. Seems a little cumbersome. The wheel lift so far seems cheapest and easiest to keep the frame safely off the ground.

Very interesting discussion. I have a hard time believing that the wheel lift would work as described. @dmattmul: have you successfully done what you are describing or is that what you are planning to do? If you raise the wheel using the wheel lift and then put a jack stand under that corner once you lower the wheel lift the suspension is going to put that wheel back on the ground. When you jack a car from the isolated side of the suspension,(jack point) the suspension is going to completely unload prior to picking the tire up.

Very interesting discussion. I have a hard time believing that the wheel lift would work as described. @dmattmul: have you successfully done what you are describing or is that what you are planning to do? If you raise the wheel using the wheel lift and then put a jack stand under that corner once you lower the wheel lift the suspension is going to put that wheel back on the ground. When you jack a car from the isolated side of the suspension,(jack point) the suspension is going to completely unload prior to picking the tire up.

I think that's true. Those Harbor Freight wheel "lifts" are actually called "vehicle positioning dollies". They don't appear to lift the wheel very far at all. Maybe a few inches. It certainly would work if you could lift the wheel high enough, though.

Thanks for posting this. This is the best solution I've seen yet! I do have one question. What jack stands are you using? I made my adapters out of hockey pucks and they are flush on the bottom but most jack stands are angled. Did you make special adapters to fit your jack stands or did you find jack stands that are flush on the top?

You can shave/cut the hockey pucks to fit your needs.

Also there was another discussion where the Tesla mobile service guy came out and said you could jack the car from one point high enough to lift the rear wheel and do the tire rotation that way. There was also posted pictures of that method.

Last edited:
I have done this on all 4 of my wheels when I wanted to take the weight off the tires for the winter. The trick is to be able to raise the car high enough using the wheel lift to take the suspension play out. You need to place 2 by 6's on each side of the tire and use that to support the wheel lift. By spreading it wide enough you can get the wheel lift under the tire. I'm not near my 3 now so can't take any pictures. If you just want to do a tire rotation use 2 hydraulic jacks plus adapters, much easier. I don't remember if I used 2 - 2 by 6's each side or one. I was in a hurry to get out of Ohio before the snow came. Since I was just trying to take the weight off the wheels or the majority of the weight not sure if they were completely off the ground after finishing since that was not important for me.