Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree but if its that easy why have they not done it already......
It would be very easy for Tesla to fix the crap auto headlights. However, in their hubris they refuse to admit that Vision doesn’t and never will work and so refuse to fit a cheap, reliable rain sensor instead.

Given that matrix lights will also rely on a camera that gets obscured very easily perhaps Tesla haven’t introduced matrix capability because they know it won’t work.

No cars in the US have matrix headlights today, so it's not really a pressing matter for them in terms of competition.

The US vehicle regulations were recently changed to allow them, but apparently the regulations are so complex and different to European rules that no one yet has bothered to build something specific to the US. If Tesla do introduce them to the US market they could be the first with the technology :)

matrix headlights on audi works off the same position windscreen based camera system, i dont believe for 1 second that my now (5 year old audi) had a better front facing camera than my telsa.

The headlights on the Audi were simply incredible, the matrix stuff was breath taking, i believe it probably has to do with processing power, or how much the camera is used for and has to deceifer, extrapolate.

audi, speed signal, light sources, lane assist.

tesla, speed signal, bicylces, cone, bins, kerbs, road markings, traffic signs, traffic lights, and probably 50 other things.

Reactions: Durzel and WllXM
No cars in the US have matrix headlights today, so it's not really a pressing matter for them in terms of competition.

The US vehicle regulations were recently changed to allow them, but apparently the regulations are so complex and different to European rules that no one yet has bothered to build something specific to the US. If Tesla do introduce them to the US market they could be the first with the technology :)

Tesla has been making a shipping Y/3 with matrix headlights for sometime in the USA

Other manufacturers have got years of development in their systems, and they are at this point several generations in. These systems are very impressive and can do things like projecting driver aid stuff on the road, blocking out road signs from being lit up (reflections), etc.

I’ll be interested to see what Tesla manage, but given it doesn’t seem to be affecting sales I’m not sure how much effort they would put into it.

It would be very easy for Tesla to fix the crap auto headlights. However, in their hubris they refuse to admit that Vision doesn’t and never will work and so refuse to fit a cheap, reliable rain sensor instead.

Given that matrix lights will also rely on a camera that gets obscured very easily perhaps Tesla haven’t introduced matrix capability because they know it won’t work.

Not sure how a rain sensor would help with the auto headlights?? :)

Cars 10 years old have matrix headlights working fine using a camera. It's pure lack of giving a *sugar* from Tesla.

Reactions: goRt and Durzel
Amazing
IMG_3069.jpeg

From what I’ve read this isn’t “Audi matrix” with approaching cars blanked out etc, this is simply wide beam and narrow beam, wide beam replacing the fog light function as highland doesn’t have them

In other words, there’s nothing to see here.

From what I’ve read this isn’t “Audi matrix” with approaching cars blanked out etc, this is simply wide beam and narrow beam, wide beam replacing the fog light function as highland doesn’t have them

In other words, there’s nothing to see here.
Yes that wouldn’t surprise me, even the fog light replacement functionality is coming after they start shipping the cars. Normal Tesla approach.

How do you think other manufacturers currently do their matrix lights? A clue: it's a camera.
You don’t say! Yes I know - I’ve owned three Audis with absolutely superb matrix headlights and still have an A6. My point is that if Tesla can’t get something as simple as auto wipers to work using a camera then I’m not convinced they will be able to execute something much more complex like matrix headlights. Many people on this forum attribute the fact that the wipers are so crap to the windscreen in front of the camera being dirty. If this is the case it will be the same for matrix headlights.

Reactions: goRt
You don’t say! Yes I know - I’ve owned three Audis with absolutely superb matrix headlights and still have an A6. My point is that if Tesla can’t get something as simple as auto wipers to work using a camera then I’m not convinced they will be able to execute something much more complex like matrix headlights. Many people on this forum attribute the fact that the wipers are so crap to the windscreen in front of the camera being dirty. If this is the case it will be the same for matrix headlights.
I think matrix is easir than wipers. Seeing rain on glass is actually hard which is why no one else uses cameras for wipers. Everyone uses cameras for matrix and Tesla knows camers so they should be ok at that.