Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean heck, the browser doesn't even support demanding video and interactive content plugins. Literally a text and image browser only...HTML is lightweight.
There is no reason for a modern browser to support Java, Flash, ActiveX-based or other content plugin that you call it. There is no reason that webpage content, no matter how dynamic, should use one of those in 2018. Those pages should be rewritten or die.

HTML5 content, ECMAScript 7 (or atleast version 6) as well as all image/video/fonts normally used on the web should be enough to view all new content.

And the ECMA VM should be fairly new as there were lots of improvements to the JIT performance around 2010-2012. Obviously the current browser is a really old codebase that at most supports ECMA 5 with a slow/old parser, and lacks support for most content types.

And they still offer the 3G>LTE upgrade to this day even though in 2016 they said they'd only offer it for a limited time. Wonder why they didn't just say "tough luck" back then, as the suggestion is they do now.

Because Tesla is still footing the cellular broadband bill, and the more people they can move to LTE at the customer's expense, the better it is for Tesla, as 3G is being phased and the cost of 3G access could be going up as availability goes down.

It's not just a 'vanity' upgrade like MCU1->MCU2 would be for the customer.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I absolutely would. I rarely use any superchargers. It's almost like different people have different priorities. Wild!
I would second that. Super chargers are great because they are there, the free aspect is just the cherry on the top. I would take MCU2 upgrade over free supercharging any day, as long as I still get to use suoerchargers for a reasonable fee.

Reactions: jaguar36
I would second that. Super chargers are great because they are there, the free aspect is just the cherry on the top. I would take MCU2 upgrade over free supercharging any day, as long as I still get to use suoerchargers for a reasonable fee.
Sounds like we all value different options, to me supercharging is a life long expense that could add up to tens of thousands of dollars, I feel very lucky to have it free. It was clear to anyone who bought a car in the last year that it would be ending. Seems also clear that new features would coincide to make things fair.
The retrofit for cash may not make financial sense for Tesla right now as some service centres are very busy.

Reactions: Fiver
Sounds like we all value different options, to me supercharging is a life long expense that could add up to tens of thousands of dollars, I feel very lucky to have it free.

At $.12/kWh, $20K of electricity is approximately 500,000 miles. If half your miles were supercharged, that's a million mile car, which would take the average driver 83 years to accumulate. And that assumes solar and wind don't drop the cost of electricity 10x in the medium term.

Last edited:
At $.12/kWh, $20K of electricity is approximately 500,000 miles. If half your miles were supercharged, that's a million mile car, which would take the average driver 83 years to accumulate. And that assumes solar and wind don't drop the cost of electricity 10x in the medium term.
Supercharging rate here in Australia is 35c per kwh (0.27usd)
I've done over 40,000 miles in the 12 months I've owned the car so you can see how free supercharging makes sense for me. I understand most people barely drive 1/4 the amount I do.
Anyway let's hope the new update speeds up both old and new MCU.
I think we should all brace ourselves for some serious changes to Model S. Apart from subtle changes to seats and trim etc, the interior is basically the same as it was in 2012. Faster DC charging will probably be available on new cars after April 30 I'm guessing.

The abolition of certain features does not mean there will be new ones soon. I.e. Tesla announced the end of free supercharging for the end of 2016, extending it into 2017 and still offers it through referral links.
The only update between the introduction of AP2 and MCU2 was AP2.5, which was an, to this day, unnoticeable upgrade. Other than that, they have eliminated colors and options (vented seats).

Given what they have in their plate with the Model 3, I wouldn't hold my breath for any major redesigns in the existing lineup until Model 3 is well established in all it's variants.

As for cost, it's a simple calculation, running, hardware and manhour cost plus margin. SeC load is not a cost factor as they could simply schedule the process to when time is available, after all it's not a critical system.
Like I said, I'd wait and pay for an upgrade.

Given the quality of their service, they definitely need to invest heavily anyway unless they significantly increase their production quality. If they deliver the same quality with Model 3 and have the same long waits for spare parts in Europe (6 weeks on average) as they currently do, they will have a massive problem on their hands.

Last edited:
Given what they have in their plate with the Model 3, I wouldn't hold my breath for any major redesigns in the existing lineup until Model 3 is well established in all it's variants.

Funny. Back in 2016 before the Model S facelift appeared but there were rumors, I vehemently argued "Given what they have in their plate with the Model 3, they're not going to spend the time to give the Model S a facelift!".

And guess what happened?

Funny. Back in 2016 before the Model S facelift appeared but there were rumors, I vehemently argued "Given what they have in their plate with the Model 3, they're not going to spend the time to give the Model S a facelift!".

And guess what happened?
Yeah? What happened? Other than a new bumper and the change of AP hardware because of the unexpected breakup with MobileEye?

Yeah? What happened? Other than a new bumper and the change of AP hardware because of the unexpected breakup with MobileEye?
Yes you both make good points but Model 3 is ready for Megacharging, it also has digital heater vents. Porsche has announced 800v charging, I don't see Tesla sticking with 120kw on the Model S and X. Those models have to be superior in every way to the 3.

I'm not sure if your response is sarcastic, facetious, serious, or just a smart ass reply. But I'll respond as if it was serious.

Going from AP1 to AP2 is a huge change. They could have stayed with MobileEye if they wanted to (too much hubris, I guess). But they did it anyway.

There were more changes than the "new bumper" with facelift -- the rocker panels and I think the rear bumper color scheme changed. They added Biodefense mode and I think the headlights/LEDs changed at the same time. The hood is also a new design/different with the facelift. It's not as simple as swapping out a plastic bumper just because that's the most obvious cosmetic difference.

But my original point is that even though in 2016 I argued heavily and seriously doubted that Tesla would change anything on the MS because they are "too busy with Model 3" -- turned out to be very, very wrong. And people saying that today, using the same premise, I now think, are bound to be just as surprised as I was at the time. I've learned to never underestimate what Tesla has up their sleeves, regardless of 'other projects' they might be doing at the same time.

I remember in 2012 Tesla (George B? Or was it Elon) said that purchasing the service agreement would include hardware upgrades as they became available. Not that I’d expect a P85 to turn to a D or a real 85 KWhr( well, expected that from day 1!) but a screen that doesn’t leak? (No recall?wtf)

Maybe it was just a dream I had?

I remember in 2012 Tesla (George B? Or was it Elon) said that purchasing the service agreement would include hardware upgrades as they became available.

"They said"??? "Hardware Upgrades" was on the website and in the contract!! But they found ways around actually fulfilling that promise. I don't think there ever was a single "hardware upgrade" given to anyone with service contracts that wasn't also provided for free to everyone else, like the new windscreen air vents and other minor things. I held their feet to the fire for the LTE 'hardware upgrade' but never got them to break.

If you still have one of these early service contracts please try to get them to live up to the contract for an MCU2 upgrade, but I don't think you'll get anywhere.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial