Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many techie guys here are already revealed the MCU2 retrofit is a tough upgrade, not just swap out the MCU. So Tesla would want you to buy a new car instead.

It would most likely be a different hardware variant that would be more like a MCU1.999 or whatever you want to call it. As in, designed by engineering to be a drop-in replacement.

The same would likely have to happen for AP3, there will need to be different AP3 boards for AP2.0, AP2.5, and Model 3 given how different their connectors are.

You also need to replace the antenna assembly and its wiring harness, which is in the right mirror. So you replace the IC, MCU, wiring AND mirror assembly. Just calculate the price for the hours and it's a prohibitive cost.
HW3 on the other hand IS a same connector drop in replacement for both AP2 and 2.5 boards.

I'd love to just have the MCU run a bit faster, so if they were to offer an upgrade to a MCU 1.5, using the same wiring and a drop in, I'd take that. But that's just wishful thinking because they would never make back the cost of development.

Last edited:
Reactions: r0xx0r
It would most likely be a different hardware variant that would be more like a MCU1.999 or whatever you want to call it. As in, designed by engineering to be a drop-in replacement.

The same would likely have to happen for AP3, there will need to be different AP3 boards for AP2.0, AP2.5, and Model 3 given how different their connectors are.

Yup. It’s another variant, keep the same IC as well. Just because the new one is driven from the MCU board doesn’t mean the old one has to be.

Reactions: chillaban
I do agree that a mcu1 to 2 upgrade is improbable. The effort is not worth the value for enough people to make it happen. At this point there is no extra capability that muc2 offers over mcu1, not yet.

It may be possible to create an muc1.5 with exactly same system but faster processor and ram. However, it will still not have any extra capability as it will require a separate code base and complicate dev efforts. Thus making it not really worthwhile.

I don’t think it will happen.

I didn’t know there was a MCU1 and AP2.5?

News to me as I thought they came as a pair like the Model 3.

So people are thinking AP3 and MCU1 will pair just fine?

AP2.5 started in August, 2017 while MCU2 didn't start showing up in cars until March, 2018.

Yes, AP3 should work just fine with MCU1. (I don't actually think they actually talk much, other than with the new dashcam functionality.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I’ll add MCU1 upgrade to my existing due bill items and wait patiently:
Full summon anywhere on private property
Upgradable battery pack
691HP

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my P85DL and it’s + suspension. I know Tesla wants me to upgrade, though I really don’t like the p100d as much, it’s weird. Maybe when the p120d refresh refresh happens... if not Roadster?

I am just surprised when people believe in these kinds of upgrades are going to happen without proof. I’d love to be wrong on any, and all, of these. I was wrong, and happily so, on LTE upgrade from 3G :)

Of course, Jason (@wk057) does a great job proving that a lot of this *is* possible, just not worth Tesla’s effort when they have so many more customers coming. If Tesla released more work manuals I’m confident this could be aftermarket opportunities.

There’s no connector-wise reason MCU2 can’t replace MCU1.

MCU2 has a new, mysterious ethernet port on the side that’s not even connected to anything (debug port?), plus an extra port for the new radio tuner. But the rest are the same.

(Which means that all your MCU1 wiring connectors would fit nicely in MCU2, including your «1.0» tuner wire.)