Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Witnessed the new MCU. You don't want it. The resolution is visibly worse. After the last software update, not worth updating to a faster CPU just for navigation.

I would have hoped they would have gone to a HiDPI screen, but looks like this is where additional margin is coming from.

Isn't the resolution identical? Aren't both 1080p screens?

The screen is slightly better than 1080p (I think 100-200px taller?) on MCU1

But I honestly don't think it's the resolution. There's more likely a difference in the screen quality, just like how you can buy a $300 HDTV at Wal-Mart or a $2000 brand-name one… both are the same size and same resolution but look totally different in picture quality.

• Informative
Reactions: pkodali
The screen is slightly better than 1080p (I think 100-200px taller?) on MCU1

But I honestly don't think it's the resolution. There's more likely a difference in the screen quality, just like how you can buy a $300 HDTV at Wal-Mart or a $2000 brand-name one… both are the same size and same resolution but look totally different in picture quality.
Weird that they would make what i would imagine to be a cheap panel so much worse

From what I recall people did actually determine that the resolution is different between MCU1 and MCU2.

I can't find the details right now but I think it was a fairly minor difference.

Edit: It looks like it is 1200x1920 vs. 1080x1920. So they started going with a more standard size panel.

Last edited:
Further reason to have gone with a 4k screen.
I say this with a pair of 5K displays on my desk: there is no need for a 4K display of that size in a car. You're not looking at it close enough or often enough for it to make a considerable difference.

It's worth noting that is not just resolution that Tesla has to work with here. There are durability (it has to withstand extreme temperatures and constant vibration), brightness (needs to be legible in direct sunlight), and cost concerns as well. Switching to 4K would be detrimental to all those.

Any update here? Mid oct now.

Wondering if I should replace my yellow bordered mcu1 screen now and stop waiting for hope. I know the mcu often doesn’t get replaced but I imagine once they start offering retrofits, they may start carrying less mcu1 parts and you’ll get the new one by luck through warranty (no cost).

I know, unlikely. Hoping someone here has some info. Last I heard was something about sept and starting the retrofit service at shops.

Reactions: MelaniainLA