Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i don’t care if scrolling the maps around is faster or about the browser.
My main worry is that tesla will add some new features, like better nav or some kind of FSD overlay that will require the new MCU.
If tesla is having a hard time drawing a map on a fairly low-res screen using a chip that should be capable of it, then i don’t know how they’ll add anything fancier.

Could all those asking why to bother restrict themselves to constructive feedback?
If they don't want to upgrade, fine. I'd like to upgrade and pay for it.
Because to me, in a 2017, 100.000+ € vehicle, a sluggish interface is detrimental to the experience as a whole, especially now knowing there is an appropriately speedy interface.

Agree!

But at the same time... We should wait and see what the Vector Maps and (most probable) new optimized browser for MCU1 gives in terms of performance/improvement before call it a day.

I think many in here draw conclusions all to early with apple to oranges comparisons... but each to their own I guess.

Agree!

But at the same time... We should wait and see what the Vector Maps and (most probable) new optimized browser for MCU1 gives in terms of performance/improvement before call it a day.

I think many in here draw conclusions all to early with apple to oranges comparisons... but each to their own I guess.

Based on the code @verygreen has pointed the forums to, I’m not so sure the new browser is coming to mcu1....

Reactions: KyleDay
Even if they are able to optimize the old MCU, the new MCU will always be at least 4x faster.

Taking a wait and see approach is like hoping that the next version of Windows is magically faster on your five year old 1 Ghz laptop before deciding to upgrade to the latest, 4 Ghz version. Face it, your old machine will never lose that "junk funk" smell.

But is it the end of the world not to have one? Hardly.
Agree

dp.jpg

If they offered an upgrade they could pair it with a statement that after 12 months they would cease making MCU upgrades to MCU1 software so as to have a unified code base and to reduce the cost of testing and debugging. As long as they offered the upgrade at a reasonable price, could be different based on what is required or based on age of vehicle, or purchase date. For example, any purchase made in 2018 prior to MCU2 release would pay the lowest amount and so on. The sooner Tesla can get to a unified code base the easier it will be for them to test as they will have fewer test suites they have to run. A win for Tesla and a win for the customer.

i don’t care if scrolling the maps around is faster or about the browser.
My main worry is that tesla will add some new features, like better nav or some kind of FSD overlay that will require the new MCU.
If tesla is having a hard time drawing a map on a fairly low-res screen using a chip that should be capable of it, then i don’t know how they’ll add anything fancier.
That may have already happened. We know that the new MCU got the new map and browser, so why won’t this be available for th e old MCU at the same time? Is this a sign of things to come?

That may have already happened. We know that the new MCU got the new map and browser, so why won’t this be available for th e old MCU at the same time? Is this a sign of things to come?
Nah I wouldn’t read into it. MCU1 got the new neural net weeks before MCU2 so if anything y’all have the old and busted infotainment hardware ;)

(Kidding just making myself feel better)

Has anyone ever upgraded, let's say, Mercedes .... adaptvie cruise radar in their car? Or, ECU? or blind spot detection system?

I understand that it is unpleasant to see an upgrade to a product you just bought, but let's try to stay rational - Tesla is a business, not a charity. It would be unreasonable to expect that they will update all their previous cars to the newest tech as it comes out. What I think reasonable is for Tesla to offer a paid upgrade path, but of course, my "reasonable" might be miles off from others.
Going from no AP to AP1 (although this has been done by at least 1 person) or from AP1 to AP2 is one thing, but upgrading a screen/head unit is another. I have a friend who bought a base F150, and replaced the head unit to the fancy Sync3 one, and even swapped out his basic speedometers to the fancy screen one. I don't think upgrading the MCU is something they can't do, the question is are they able to produce enough extras quick enough, what would be the cost, and how much extra capacity do the service centers have. Then there's the traditional idea of trying to get you to just buy a brand new car instead.

I mean, just today, the interface of my mcu1 was so slow I had already tapped a second time just to change a climate/ventilation setting, making it pop up and quickly disappear, requiring me to tap a third time, distracting me way longer than necessary.

I was already bummed seeing the ux of the Model 3 when that came out.

Waiting for optimizations to arrive on a 6 year old system, when they just introduced a new, differing hardware with plenty of power to spare - I won't hold my breath, it's not gonna happen.

And please stop the mantra of "has a traditional car maker ever...". This is Tesla. Not a traditional car maker. Thanks to Teslas tight system integration and vertical manufacturing control, the "traditional" rich aftermarket customization market doesn't exist. So they should definitely offer upgrades.

Last edited:
I mean, just today, the interface of my mcu1 was so slow I had already tapped a second time just to change a climate/ventilation setting, making it pop up and quickly disappear, requiring me to tap a third time, distracting me way longer than necessary.
This happens to me all the time, and is my biggest annoyance with the interface.

Waiting for optimizations to arrive on a 6 year old system, when they just introduced a new, differing hardware with plenty of power to spare - I won't hold my breath, it's not gonna happen.

I agree.. other than the possibility of vector maps and maybe an updated browser (which could quite possibly be an upgrade to the browser rendering engine and not the horrible interface we have now), I do not think we will see any general optimizations of the UI speed in general. If they could have done that all this time, they would have done it long ago, and not just because MCU2 came out.

This is all a bit silly isn't it?
Last I heard, the company had about 3 billion in cash reserves. Let's say each upgrade costs them $2000 and all 250,000 cars are upgraded, that's
$500 million or 1/6 of the cash...
Not going to happen!
A software upgrade like the 75D uncork isn't a problem because it barely costs the company as it's just software. A new MCU for everyone just seems ridiculous and annoying if I was a shareholder.
Which other car companies have an interface as good as MCU1 anyway?
The great thing about Tesla is that they gave all of us "poor MCU1 folk" free supercharging! And then extended until April. The overlap of the free supercharging extension and the MCU2 upgrade are the only reason this is even an issue.
Let me ask would you all trade your free supercharging for the new MCU?
No didn't think so.
Btw my MCU is actually faulty and being replaced with one of the old clunkers. Service says they aren't retrofitting new ones. I guess because of all the people who expect something for nothing,owners who are actually in need of a replacement miss out.
Realistically I believe it's most likely just incompatible with the other hardware as mentioned above.
The end of free supercharging was a massive flag that upgrades were coming to the Model S, this is only the beginning, I expect many more in the coming months (New dash with model 3 style vents, new rear lights, Megacharging are all pretty much a given) so if I had just ordered a car, I'd be more concerned about that than the MCU.

Jeez it's been said numerous times before they can ask money for it and not everyone, like you obviously, would like to spend the money. So your 500 mln $ calculation is just plain nonsense, sorry.
No one in their right mind is asking for a FREE retrofit. After all the cars are as ordered. But an upgrade should be possible and if technically possible should be offered as well for many good reasons listed here.
With regards to "other manufacturers" and reasons why a retrofit does actually make quite some sense to some people, see above.
Until we've had a teardown of the MCU2 hardware (other than the new antenna/mirror assembly), I dont buy the "incompatible" claim.
And they still offer the 3G>LTE upgrade to this day even though in 2016 they said they'd only offer it for a limited time. Wonder why they didnt just say "tough luck" back then, as the suggestion is they do now. So far, there has been much feedback from Service Centers, but tbh I've herad so much cr*p from SeC staff I'd rather wait until I hear from the management.
Considering Musk has just announced the Maps/Nav upgrade to roll out the coming weekend, there might be the hope it generally speeds up MCU responsiveness and thus eliminates the demand for an upgrade, or, if it doesnt, they might reconsider a retrofit after that.

Reactions: CarbonFree