Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror not folding out completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 1 month old S I found that occasionally the driver side mirror seemed to lose the setting. It didn't look like I set it up before and I had to readjust it. Not every time but enough to notice it. I finally figured out today what's going on, and that's on occasion the mirror does not fold out completely. It stops about maybe 1/2 inch before getting to where it should be. And then obviously the mirror position is off. Once I realized that, I seem to be able to push to the right place either by hand or by folding it in/out once with the button. The other mirror is fine every time.

Anyone else observer something like this? Should I stop folding the mirrors every time, I have it on auto-fold. Is this worth a visit to Service?

Started happening to me the other day. It is also looser to the touch when this happens

FWIW I just updated to v8.0 (2.52.22) yesterday, and this morning my passenger mirror once again got stuck about 90% of the way folding out. Folding it back in & out fixed it. as I've reported previously, this is a very very intermittent problem for me, happens both in warm weather and cold, though more frequently in cold. But at least I can report that there's no magic cure in 2.52.22

I'm convinced this is a combination of hw and sw issue - e.g. something physically "sticking" or causing more resistance in the mirror housing's movement (whether dirt, ice, etc), and perhaps the sw doesn't drive the motors long enough to overcome any slight resistance (and hence Tesla has said a firmware fix is on the way)

Mine has started after they salted the roads in the mid armtlantic. The car is clean now but there is probably some salt in there

Took delivery 9/30, and the passenger side started doing it intermittently about 5 weeks into it. it's been doing it about once a week.

the driver side started doing it 2 days ago.

i'm just waiting until i hear an official fix before i do anything about it. keeping an eye on this thread.

I took my new MS in yesterday, and the service department said that the mirror problem is definitely software ("voltage too low for actuator"). They said that at first they were replacing mirrors and trying to look for mechanical problems, but it is now known to be a problem with recent software versions. It will be fixed in some update TBD.

The driver's side mirror would occasionally fail to fold out on my May 2015 S85D, but usually I'd just fold them mirrors in and back out and it'd work. When that remedy didn't work (and I had to tug on the mirror to make it fold out), I mentioned this issue at my "annual" service a few weeks later. They said the mirror wasn't lubricated correctly. They re-lubricated it, and I haven't had the problem since.

Bruce.

My mirror got worse since delivery. It now goes "limp" and partially folds while driving too. That and it also takes many tries to even fold (not just unfold) successfully. I've asked to schedule a replacement as it's now affecting safety while driving.

I think the SW fix thing is BS...SC swapped out both my mirrors and the problem completely went away.
At least they were ABLE to replace your mirrors. I have had this issue since I took delivery on 14 DEC, told them about it on 20 DEC when I finally convinced myself that it was really the mirrors and not operator error. I was told that they needed to replace the mirrors, but they were on back-order, and despite them having the car in the shop from 28 DEC to 12 JAN (to replace the MCU... twice... as well as a wiring harness...), the mirrors still don't work. Fortunately, you CAN turn OFF the folding (although make sure you go through every driver profile and turn it off in each one...), which is what I have done in the short term. They really need to up their game on this issue. They are so focused on AP2 software that they are forgetting that this is an actual automobile and not "just" a 5000 pound iPhone.

Reactions: caltechkid
it is impossible that this is *only* a software issue.
if it were, almost every mirror would be affected or not.

the fact that it is only happening on some cars means this issue is either hardware related, or a combination of hardware and software.

I got my car in December. It's one of the coldest winters ever here.
My Driver side mirror never opened or closed.
My Passenger side mirror always opened and closed.

now we just hit a thaw.
now both mirrors work perfectly.

Do I have a SW bug that only affects the Driver side in Temps lower than 30F?

on a side note:
my mirror did not improve with my most recent SW update (the one that added in auto headlights)
I have not received any other SW updates.

also:
I have never washed my car yet. it was too cold to wash until recently, and now it's mucky out.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
I had an SC appointment last week that I cancelled because they called and said the mirror issue was a software issue. I also occasionally have an issue with the sunroof not being responsive to scroll-wheel or touchscreen display commands. They said this was also a software issue.

When I asked when the fix will be released they hesitated and then said "Late January" - I am assuming they are referring to the supposed big release for HW2, etc.

I will give them until the end of January/early February at which point if it is not fixed via software update I will demand a replacement for the driver mirror and sunroof motor unit.

it is impossible that this is *only* a software issue.
if it were, almost every mirror would be affected or not.

the fact that it is only happening on some cars means this issue is either hardware related, or a combination of hardware and software.

If I was to take an educated guess, it's a hardware problem to which Tesla is hoping to apply a software workaround. Some mirrors are perfect, others are manufactured less than perfect and are "sticking". Tesla is hoping that with some creative software that will increase the power when the motor reports it's stuck, they will work around the problem. It may work, or it may result in burned out motors when the mirror is really stuck, who knows, and that is even if they actually ship this "software viagara" update. That said, this thread has helped me realize that my mirror is FUBR, as it has many more problems that just unfolding.

The software update does not solve the problem, at least for me.
It does work better. Before, my mirror never, ever unfolded correctly. Now it unfolds about 80% of the time.
I have an appointment on 1/24 and I plan on asking for a new mirror. My garage is small and simply not using the folding mirrors is not an acceptable option.

The software update does not solve the problem, at least for me.
It does work better. Before, my mirror never, ever unfolded correctly. Now it unfolds about 80% of the time.
I have an appointment on 1/24 and I plan on asking for a new mirror. My garage is small and simply not using the folding mirrors is not an acceptable option.

The service center did NOT imply that the fix was imminent, so I wouldn't assume that any updates this week have fixed it. In fact, they had the impression that the fix wasn't scheduled yet.