Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling a Model 3 an econobox is just plain wrong, and is obviously intended to insult rather than engender polite discussion.

As for interior fit and finish, I really don't see a difference between the Teslas and the Germans. Individual cars may have individual problems, but overall Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi put together quality interiors. If your argument is that a Tesla is less luxurious because it's eliminated most of the buttons, knobs, and controls, or has synthetic leather rather than real leather, I'd call that a specious argument.
Agreed.

Reactions: ODWms
No one should be offended by calling a model 3 an econobox. It’s literally what it is and what Tesla set out to make. It’s not a negative. It’s actually the purpose for the car existing. The M3 is a $30,000 car designed to move people cheaply. The M3P is the same car with a bigger motor. When I got my M3P I spent time convincing myself the interior wasn’t “that” bad compared to my prior cars. And it’s not “that” bad. It’s fine. It’s kinda cool. It didn’t bother me. But let’s not kid ourselves into thinking it’s a Mercedes, Audi or BMW. Spartan is just a word Tesla owners (including me) use to convince ourselves that the interior is better than it is. Not really sure why this makes people mad. It is what it is. Just facts. If you aren’t willing to acknowledge the objective shortcomings of the m3, then there’s nothing to discuss.

Reactions: voxel and terranx
It’s nothing more than opinion, so stop trying to present it as something else.
(speaking of embarrassing yourself)
It isn’t opinion. And if you can’t appreciate that then you’re just a blind fanboy. The Germans are objectively better in terms of materials, design and fit and finish. You can argue all you want but you’re just wrong.

It’s becoming clear that you’re just here to troll. Hoped for better, but nope.
Dude if you can’t admit the Tesla interior is behind the Germans, then you are completely lost. I’m not asking for your firstborn. I’m asking you to acknowledge a simple fact. If there is one thing that Tesla is resoundingly criticized for its poor build quality, cheap interior materials and yes its “Spartan” interior. Even the Model S guys are complaining about rattles and poor quality. I was going to buy a Model S in fact and then I drove it and couldn’t believe how cheap it felt on the inside and it’s several steps better than the 3. If you’re not willing to acknowledge this single most common critique of the M3, then we clearly cannot continue this discussion.

Dude if you can’t admit the Tesla interior is behind the Germans

It's certainly behind them in:

Offering a smaller interior despite a larger exterior
Offering a slew of overly complex buttons to eventually fail and serving no purpose and a widely derided UI
Offering less durable interior/seating materials that all require more maintenance over time

That's apart from the non-exterior ways they're behind the i4M50 like:

Offering a much heavier car with worse range/turning/performance
Offering an ICE platform they shoehorned EV parts into
Offering a dead-end charge port

And I certainly Tesla to remain behind em in those measures :)

In contrast Tesla is likely to pass BMW in worldwide sales next year (they're well ahead of them in the US already) so they won't be behind there.

Reactions: ODWms
No one should be offended by calling a model 3 an econobox. It’s literally what it is and what Tesla set out to make. It’s not a negative. It’s actually the purpose for the car existing. The M3 is a $30,000 car designed to move people cheaply. The M3P is the same car with a bigger motor. When I got my M3P I spent time convincing myself the interior wasn’t “that” bad compared to my prior cars. And it’s not “that” bad. It’s fine. It’s kinda cool. It didn’t bother me. But let’s not kid ourselves into thinking it’s a Mercedes, Audi or BMW. Spartan is just a word Tesla owners (including me) use to convince ourselves that the interior is better than it is. Not really sure why this makes people mad. It is what it is. Just facts. If you aren’t willing to acknowledge the objective shortcomings of the m3, then there’s nothing to discuss.
Calling a Model 3 an econobox is false, objectively so, and doing so to Tesla owners and enthusiasts is obviously intended to offend, despite your protestations to the contrary. Calling a Tesla interior spartan is the same as calling a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi interior cluttered. It is effectively true, but has a negative connotation, as does shortcoming. It would be the same as saying that another car's interior is jumbled and excessive. I think you could express your thoughts without using words that seem intended to attack.

Based on what evidence?
I have over 100 passes over the last 2 years at all of the SOCs above 70%. Here are almost 50 passes all in the 11.3s. It wouldn’t even be close.

IMG_3751.jpeg

I have over 100 passes over the last 2 years at all of the SOCs above 70%. Here are almost 50 passes all in the 11.3s. It wouldn’t even be close.

View attachment 993777

Nice...i bet you'll be upgrading if the Highland Ludicrous comes out.

You ever think about the Plaid? I want a nimble car so the Ludicrous version appeals to me way more.

Nice...i bet you'll be upgrading if the Highland Ludicrous comes out.

You ever think about the Plaid? I want a nimble car so the Ludicrous version appeals to me way more.
I am 100% getting the Highland Performance/Ludicrous Model 3. I rode in a Plaid at the Dragstrip and it really was incredible. However, that car is just too big for my needs.

I want a small and nimble car deep in the 10s. That is all I need and I think Tesla will deliver that car for under $60k.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I believe there is no real hint of what next M3P specs will be at that point ? I believe Tesla needs to be at least at the 650HP mark to compete with the Ioniq 5N 641HP, which seems to be a terrific car to drive (for an EV).
I'm eyeing the Plaid since the price went down, but I mainly DD and AutoX my Tesla 3, and the Plaid is way too big to be competitive in AutoX and not endurant enough for trackdays (without high speed chargers).... So I'm really in the market for a 700-750HP Model 3 Plaid... (with a 90KW/h battery at least)

My concern is that if they keep same battery there is no chance we will go there... And since Tesla likes scaling savings, I'm a little afraid I will be disapointed...

View attachment 993565

View attachment 993566

Tell me again which one is the econobox?

The current Model 3 is an econobox. Folks who don’t think so have never driven or owned a modern Audi or BMW. The i4 I owned was vastly quieter and with rear air suspension it wasn’t like driving a skateboard (like the Model 3). Sit in an Audi Q8 e-tron. It’s coffin silent.

I think too many Tesla owners came from Toyotas and Hondas or 10 year cars that had poor NVH. Modern luxury cars are well sealed. Heck, the much maligned Lexus RZ450e has a silent cabin compared to the Model 3 but it’s still louder than BMW iX, i7, and Audis. I test drove these all at the Austin Electrify Expo. I still want a M3P as a primary track car but it’s basically a budget econobox to me. I’d choose an BMW i4 if I wanted a better daily.

• Disagree
Reactions: clerks and Mr X
The current Model 3 is an econobox. Folks who don’t think so have never driven or owned a modern Audi or BMW. The i4 I owned was vastly quieter and with rear air suspension it wasn’t like driving a skateboard (like the Model 3). Sit in an Audi Q8 e-tron. It’s coffin silent.

I think too many Tesla owners came from Toyotas and Hondas or 10 year cars that had poor NVH. Modern luxury cars are well sealed. Heck, the much maligned Lexus RZ450e has a silent cabin compared to the Model 3 but it’s still louder than BMW iX, i7, and Audis. I test drove these all at the Austin Electrify Expo. I still want a M3P as a primary track car but it’s basically a budget econobox to me. I’d choose an BMW i4 if I wanted a better daily.

I would agree build quality is not at the same level nor sound insulation. In fact road noise is pretty terrible on the Model 3, on par with my wife $28K 2022 Chevy Trailblazer RS, which is a cheap car... But I'm willing to compromise on that for the other advantages the car brings. I do not believe any other competitor uses A arms in front (Multlink rear is standard on a lot of cars), and that's why the M3 has such good potential for AutoX and Roadcourse (cooling/endurance aside)

How much weight does it potentially add to a M3P with say 600hp pkg?
I hope they can find a good compromise between weight and hp.
We don't need a 4500 lbs M3P at lease not myself. If weight is not a concern, I would be more interested for the Ioniq 5 N or Kia EV6 GT.

We don't need a 4500 lbs M3P at lease not myself. If weight is not a concern, I would be more interested for the Ioniq 5 N or Kia EV6 GT.
The Kia EV6 GT produces 586 HP at the battery. I have seen 602 HP at the battery in the Model 3 Performance already.

The biggest difference is that the power doesn’t fall off as much in the EV6 at higher speeds.

If the Model 3 just kept the same 602 HP maximum value but could hold that to 130 mph it would probably be a half second to almost full second quicker in the 1/4 mile.
IMG_0169.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

Last edited:
The Kia EV6 GT already weighs 4,795 lbs. The Ioniq 5N has almost 7 KWh more battery and bigger motors. The Ioniq 5N might weigh over 5,000 lbs.

Theoretically they could make a 600+ HP Model 3 Performance that weighs less than 4,100 lbs.

IMG_5685.png
IMG_5684.png
IMG_5683.png
IMG_5682.png