Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we talking wheels or motor?

Because WUGZ canbus data showed 447hp for the non-boost LR AWD, and 497 with acceleration boost... (and 580 on the P)
That is max discharge value. The car can't hit those numbers. Those are just theoretical maximums. I have seen 629 Hp as a max discharge value but the car itself can only output about 600 HP in real time under optimal conditions. Typically my max discharge values are well below 600 HP and actual values are much less. Those are also values at the battery. There are a lot of losses through the motors and then to the wheels.

Remember, in an EV power in the battery is like power in the gas of an ICE vehicle. Power at the battery is not power at the motor. There are losses between the two.

That is max discharge value. The car can't hit those numbers. Those are just theoretical maximums. I have seen 629 Hp as a max discharge value but the car itself can only output about 600 HP in real time under optimal conditions.

Not sure I understand you... those were observed on the canbus as live numbers when doing a floored run in the car, not theoretical ones.

In fact you, specifically, discussed these #s with me almost 1.5 years ago here:

Remember, in an EV power in the battery is like power in the gas of an ICE vehicle. Power at the battery is not power at the motor. There are losses between the two.

I understand there's drivetrain losses-- I specifically point that out in asking if you were talking wheel or motor numbers because there's loss in between.

Wugz said:
Peak power increased from 333.2 kW (447 HP) to 370.9 kW (497 HP), an increase of 50 HP (+11.3%)

Peak torque increased from 501.75 Nm to 564 Nm, an increase of 62 Nm (+12.4%)

Front motor peak power increased from 139.5 kW to 175.5 kW (+25.8%) and peak torque increased from 185.5 Nm to 232.25 Nm (+25.2%)

Rear motor peak power decreased from 231 kW to 221 kW (-4.3%) while peak torque increased from 318.5 Nm to 333 Nm (+4.5%)

and

WUGZ said:
The majority of the increase is due to increased front motor power and torque, with the rear motor actually generating slightly less power overall for a more balanced power delivery to all four wheels.

If you order a Model 3 LR right now the US website says to expect delivery in May of this year. I am having a hard time believing that if I ordered a Model 3 LR today and a Model 3 Ludicrous the day it is announced that I would get the Model 3 Ludicrous before the Model 3 LR. I believe they will announce the Model 3 Ludicrous soon but I don't think deliveries will start for many months.

I know no one in the US wants to hear this but I also think this is going to be announced as a MIC car for Europe and Asia first. I think the US based cars won't get announced till 3-6 months later and won't ship here until closer to the end of the year as a 2025 model. Just a hunch though. Could be totally wrong on this for sure.
Last little unofficial china leak I saw was that they were shooting for simultaneous release with production ramping in March in both Fremont and Shanghai for 2Q release. With that said, I won't be surprised if Fremont needs more time.

Also, I'm seeing more chatter about front bumper cameras coming for S/X/3 soon with Y later this year.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The Refresh 2021-2024 Model S LR has 3D1 in the back and 3D8 in the front. The 3D8 is a bit of a mystery, but from all I can see it is a slightly modified 3D1.

View attachment 1024419
This is a quick and dirty power curve I was able to generate of a model X LR

1709578479148.png

And an attempt to work backwards to RPM since the gear ratios are different and the X has different diameter front and rear tires

1709578575796.png

I suspect the front motor is being limited pretty significantly at lower speeds

Reactions: eivissa
This is a quick and dirty power curve I was able to generate of a model X LR

View attachment 1024561

And an attempt to work backwards to RPM since the gear ratios are different and the X has different diameter front and rear tires

View attachment 1024564

I suspect the front motor is being limited pretty significantly at lower speeds
Or it's geared way longer and it has the same power at rpm curve.

Not sure I understand you... those were observed on the canbus as live numbers when doing a floored run in the car, not theoretical ones.

In fact you, specifically, discussed these #s with me almost 1.5 years ago here:

I understand there's drivetrain losses-- I specifically point that out in asking if you were talking wheel or motor numbers because there's loss in between.

and
So he is stating real time battery numbers there. That is fine but the actual numbers at the motor and at the wheels are significantly less. If the motors were producing 500 HP in the Model 3 LR with Boost then the vehicle would be way quicker than it is. 0-60 mph with 500 HP would be closer to 3.4 seconds or less. With 450 HP 3.7 sounds about right. 4.2 is reasonable for right at 400 HP.

So he is stating real time battery numbers there. That is fine but the actual numbers at the motor and at the wheels are significantly less. If the motors were producing 500 HP in the Model 3 LR with Boost then the vehicle would be way quicker than it is. 0-60 mph with 500 HP would be closer to 3.4 seconds or less. With 450 HP 3.7 sounds about right. 4.2 is reasonable for right at 400 HP.
Well, here's the thing...........peak numbers for the P as I stated above are 520/650 at the wheels. However, these cars ramp in the power from 0-40 MPH, and depending on the curve of that ramp, acceleration can vary quite a bit between the LR, LR AB, and P, all with the same battery and motors. The Plaid does the same thing, power is ramped in from 0-70 MPH, then HP is maintained as torque drops with RPM. Peak horsepower doesn't tell the whole story.

1709605140564.png

Model 3 Performance certification is leaked in South Korea it seems. Since it is rumor and I am nobody, take this information with a grain of salt.

It is going to be dual motor awd with 215ps front motor and 412ps rear motor. So if calculation is correct, it is going to have 618hp.

domestic/import: import
import company: Tesla Korea Inc.
manufacturer: Tesla Motors
manufactured country: China
car name: Model 3 Performance
fuel: electricity
car type: 003
motor type: 3D3 (front), 4D2(rear)
car type: car(small)
max output: 215ps (front), 412ps (rear), 6625rpm (front), 8000rpm (rear)
battery voltage: 355V
transmission: automatic
Gross weight/weight: 2180kg, 1844kg

issue:
comment: high temp: city: 444.195km (276mi), highway: 412.07km (256mi), overall 429.739km (267mi)
low temp: city: 321.593km (199mi), highway: 402.739km (250mi), overall 358.109km (222mi)

Edit 1: Based on specs on the rumor, it is going to be 82kwh battery.

Last edited: