Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a dragy run post on reddit. Car did 11.0@123mph on wet pavement. Easily a 10 second car.

There was other runs on dry pavement and it was the same 11.0@123

In perfect conditions, probably will do 10.8s (like on a strip)@124mph

Kyle was saying car is under tired in the front which it has to be with only 235 like the old one there. Was also saying bushing were a little too soft for a sport car.

Nothing the aftermarket can't fix though.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I don’t know how much Kyle actually knows tbh. I think he’s just a regular guy who became a YouTuber, same as anyone else could do on here. Theres a lot of those guys around these days who just read forums and don’t actually know anything more. He’s not someone like Jason Cammisa who actually knows his stuff. Not sure why 235 would be an undersized (problem) tire also
I listened to his driving comments and his comments made total sense vs my opinion of previous Model 3. Previous one needed square 265 or 275 to have enough front grip for any kind of track/AutoX driving. Suspension/weight is the same minus shocks on this one, so this remark with stay true

I don’t know how much Kyle actually knows tbh. I think he’s just a regular guy who became a YouTuber, same as anyone else could do on here. Theres a lot of those guys around these days who just read forums and don’t actually know anything more. He’s not someone like Jason Cammisa who actually knows his stuff. Not sure why 235 would be an undersized (problem) tire also

Kyle was just on the Motortrend podcast. Jonny Lieberman was very complimentary to Kyle's track driving and said he can really boogie so thats pretty good praise. Kyle used to own his own track when he was living on the east coast so probably has a ton of seat time pushing the limits.

Reactions: Dayreg
What is he referring to about the Long Range Model 3 having slower charging batteries? Can someone who understands battery chemistry explain the difference between the batteries in the RWD, LR and M3P?
I personally think he oversold how “terrible” the long range is. The long range price is indeed too high, but it’s not a terrible car or something not worth buying. He also just assumes everyone qualifies for the tax credit and that the tax credit will be around forever. Plus he talked a lot about swapping parts and rims and this and that for the P to make it a LR basically, but 99% of buyers don’t do things like that. A staggered 20” summer tire setup is a big turnoff for a lot of “regular” people who just want a solid daily driver. The LR fits that bill for most people. I also tend to dislike when videos just seem to be hype videos and nothing else (like this one).

RWD = LFP
LR = NMC
P = NCA

So far three different owners have uploaded 1/4 mile results to dragy - 11.03, 11.03, and 11.09 (wet).
Based on my drag strip experiences with the old P3D that sounds like the new one knocks at least a half second off the 1/4 mile and traps over 5mph higher. If these times are accurate it seems inevitable that people will run high 10s at the track. That is a pretty solid upgrade from the old one IMO and is an unbelievable value at that price.

Based on my drag strip experiences with the old P3D that sounds like the new one knocks at least a half second off the 1/4 mile and traps over 5mph higher. If these times are accurate it seems inevitable that people will run high 10s at the track. That is a pretty solid upgrade from the old one IMO and is an unbelievable value at that price.
Reference I came to find about 7-8 days ago testing New M3P vs Old M3P vs 2021+ S LR.

If it is somewhat accurate; then the new M3P will match the SLR on high end 1/4 mile?

IMG_2652.jpeg

That doesn’t really answer the question though? That’s just a comparison to another vehicle.
Tire contact patch limits our ability to accelerate in any direction. This is why the new M3P has wider tires in back. The 235 width tire was a limiting factor slowing acceleration in the old car, so one way they made it faster is to add more tire.

You can do that to make cars turn better too, and most performance cars have wide tires for that reason.

Most 4000 lb cars have wider tires than 235 because that’s a very narrow tire to control a 4000 lb vehicle. Tesla uses them for range, not because it’s the best tire width for controlling a vehicle this heavy.