Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blue/white not spoken for:

1719063348150.png

I signed up here in hope of giving others a realistic view of what dealing with ordering a Tesla can be.

On May 8th I enthusiastically ordered a new M3 Performance for California delivery. I chose it partly because at the time the other Model 3 trims did not qualify for the federal tax credit. This made the M3P quite a good deal. I had driven an M3LR and loved it. It made my Macan feel like a truck. So I sold my Macan back to the dealer and tried to patiently wait for the Performance. I would check nearly daily for updates to the delivery window. It started out as June and then began erratically creeping out. At one point it is was well into August. It finally stabilized at June 24 to June 30. Good.

I had one big problem. We are moving from Wash DC to California on June 30th. After some phone calls to Tesla Sales and reading many forum posts I decided that I would just let it play out and then ask for a short delay. There seemed to be support for that.

Yesterday, June 21st, I got a message from tesla that I had a VIN, needed to complete my insurance information, and choose delivery on June 23rd or 24th. Not good. This was at 3:30p on a Friday. I could not reach my insurance agent and I was still in DC. I left a VM for my agent and waited. About 6 hours later I got another message from Tesla reminding me to pick a date and threatening to cancel my order if I did not choose a delivery date by the next day.

I got on a chat thread with Tesla. They said that I could put the order on Hold for up to 14 days but my car would be offered to someone else and I would be put back into the queue. I asked if I would get my deposit back if I cancelled. They did not reply to that. I then read online from Tesla that as long as I had not yet signed the purchase agreement I would get my deposit back. Wrong. I decided to cancel and was not offered a refund.

I will probably wait until I am in CA and change to an M3 Long Range. I will save a good chunk of money and get a bit more range. I really did not need the 0-60 spec anyway. All Tesla had to do was let me delay for one week and they would have sold me a more expensive car. I am pretty sure that their Dublin, CA dealership had space to hold my car for one week. I would have gladly paid upfront so they would have risked nothing.

Your mileage may vary...

I signed up here in hope of giving others a realistic view of what dealing with ordering a Tesla can be.

On May 8th I enthusiastically ordered a new M3 Performance for California delivery. I chose it partly because at the time the other Model 3 trims did not qualify for the federal tax credit. This made the M3P quite a good deal. I had driven an M3LR and loved it. It made my Macan feel like a truck. So I sold my Macan back to the dealer and tried to patiently wait for the Performance. I would check nearly daily for updates to the delivery window. It started out as June and then began erratically creeping out. At one point it is was well into August. It finally stabilized at June 24 to June 30. Good.

I had one big problem. We are moving from Wash DC to California on June 30th. After some phone calls to Tesla Sales and reading many forum posts I decided that I would just let it play out and then ask for a short delay. There seemed to be support for that.

Yesterday, June 21st, I got a message from tesla that I had a VIN, needed to complete my insurance information, and choose delivery on June 23rd or 24th. Not good. This was at 3:30p on a Friday. I could not reach my insurance agent and I was still in DC. I left a VM for my agent and waited. About 6 hours later I got another message from Tesla reminding me to pick a date and threatening to cancel my order if I did not choose a delivery date by the next day.

I got on a chat thread with Tesla. They said that I could put the order on Hold for up to 14 days but my car would be offered to someone else and I would be put back into the queue. I asked if I would get my deposit back if I cancelled. They did not reply to that. I then read online from Tesla that as long as I had not yet signed the purchase agreement I would get my deposit back. Wrong. I decided to cancel and was not offered a refund.

I will probably wait until I am in CA and change to an M3 Long Range. I will save a good chunk of money and get a bit more range. I really did not need the 0-60 spec anyway. All Tesla had to do was let me delay for one week and they would have sold me a more expensive car. I am pretty sure that their Dublin, CA dealership had space to hold my car for one week. I would have gladly paid upfront so they would have risked nothing.

Your mileage may vary...
There are a bunch of them popping up on the available inventory page so after your move I’d just look there and get the performance

Your mileage may vary...
may I ask what you ordered as I am in the DC area and still waiting for a VIN. Also what dealership did you order from?

A question that I could not find the answer for on e Tesla web site. At the time of purchase does Tesla ask for any proof of eligibility for the $7500 federal tax credit if you have chosen to have it taken off of the upfront purchase price? Do you need to present them with a tax document from the previous year?
When you order, you will be asked some questions. All done on the app. If you answer yes to all questions then you qualify. The app did have a warning, if you lied and thus do not qualify, the IRS will come for you.

Your mileage may vary...
It sounds reasonable from a buyers perspective to just say hold my car for a week or two. What’s the big deal?
But you know, everyone wants the perspective be to be in their favor.
I imagine, from Tesla’s perspective, (if they allowed cars to be put on hold) hundreds would wait and hold for a multitude of reasons. I recall that being a problem for them in the past.
Gumming up the ordering process, and parking lot space even more than it is.

My EDD has perhaps started its “one day at a time” march. Moved to 6/21-6/30 from 6/20-6/30.
And the “one day at a time” march continues. Now 6/22-6/30. No VIN. Starting to get where work/travel plans are getting to be an issue. Definitely going to make it tough to drop off the car at tint/PPF.

Edit: I also wonder if it’s going to slide all the way back to the end of the month and then they are going to get poopy about delivery before end of Q2. I doubt they will like me trying to push into Q3 just to be poopy back.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmil03
And the “one day at a time” march continues. Now 6/22-6/30. No VIN. Starting to get where work/travel plans are getting to be an issue. Definitely going to make it tough to drop off the car at tint/PPF.

Edit: I also wonder if it’s going to slide all the way back to the end of the month and then they are going to get poopy about delivery before end of Q2. I doubt they will like me trying to push into Q3 just to be poopy back.
My EDD was also 6/21 - 6/30 and I thought for sure the one day at time March was going to begin when I refreshed the app this morning @ 9am CST. Much to my surprise it jumped to July 1 - July 15. No complaints here though and I’m certainly not going to jump ship to get the LR out of desperation.