Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's keeping you from ordering?

Really, just the fact that my car is paid off, and there is nothing wrong with it. I always ask myself the following question, when I am trying to evaluate something like this:

"would I pay the price difference to put all the new stuff in my own car, if I could do that?" In other words, the difference between what my car is worth (probably 20-22k) and what this would cost me after taxes and everything (50k ish) is about 30k. Would I pay 30k to add the differences between the two cars into my car?

The answer is "no, I wouldnt pay 30k for the differences", even though I like everything about what this looks like.

Thanks for the heads up! What size wheels did you ultimately get from TSportline? I am worried being in the Boston area for the 20 inch wheels. I know they should be stronger now that they are forged but road hazard is a fact of life. I have a 2021 M3 LR now with the 19 inch sport wheels and those things are still fine after 3 winters. 19 inch wheels seem to be the largest size the works safely with OEM tire sizes. I am sure I could go with high profile aftermarket tires to add back in some cushion if I want to keep the OEM wheels later on.
Maybe these new ones are better being forged, but not worth the risk. Sell them and go as small as we can.
If I follow through, I'll pickup the car and drive straight to my tire guy to swap them. Right on eBay they go.

It's just not worth it, roads here are so bad. On my M3P, 3 months after getting it, all 4 of my rims were bent. Not playing that game again. I did 19". 18" would fit, but the clearance was so small, I was worried about rocks getting in and grinding up the wheels or caliper covers. That may be unfounded, but was my logic

For reference, I lost 2 rims in the last 30 days. First was cracked and not holding air. 2nd was a hit 4 days after I put my summers on. The 2nd took out the tire and bent the rim 8/10 bad (my tire guy gives me ratings now since it happens so often). This hit was on the highway, it's just not okay the potholes 93 has right now. Luckily the bent rim I have insurance on. But I lost my spare 5th tire due to the crack a month back, so now I am riding the bent rim and it's got some serious shake. I average a lost rim a year + the initial 4.

Obviously I am an extreme here, and I am a car person who takes care of their car. I try very hard to avoid potholes, but sometimes you just can't. Ugh.

According to my tire guy, it's between me and a Volvo for his best customer lol.

Last edited:
This was last week's hit and bent rim. The tire held air for the 90 minutes of driving I still had to do and to get to the tire place!

Still not the worst. Worst was the 2 tires lost on a pothole on 90.

1000007254.jpg

Reactions: dsc888
I've heard people talk about the "Stealth Performance" vehicles before -- how do those even happen? Am I correct in that it's a Performance vehicle with 18 or 19 wheels (and not the 20s)? The Website configurator doesn't even offer that as an option (pick Performance, and there are no wheel choices to make).
They were dual motor model 3s that had the speed of the regular performance models but didn't have the red brake shoes, the heavier duty brakes, and spoiler. They also had 19 or 19 inch wheels, not the 20s. I'm told they were primarily used for demo models so people would be impressed with the crazy 0-60 in 3.1 seconds but not give them the idea they were getting the performance model. Mine was in fact a demo, had 1800 miles on it when I got it.

I came close to ordering this new model 3P myself, and there is zero (nothing) wrong with my 2018 Model 3P. it only has 48k ish miles on it, and has been virtually problem free as far as mechanical issues go (and its paid off). Even with that, I came close to ordering one of these new ones.
What would have to happen for you to change your mind and buy the new one? Just curious what made you decide not to do it?

I've heard people talk about the "Stealth Performance" vehicles before -- how do those even happen? Am I correct in that it's a Performance vehicle with 18 or 19 wheels (and not the 20s)? The Website configurator doesn't even offer that as an option (pick Performance, and there are no wheel choices to make).
It was a thing they used to offer. From what I recall it was much cheaper than a "full" performance model. It had the performance motors / software, but standard brakes, wheels, suspension. I think they more or less stopped offering that when the acceleration boost became a thing.

I know everyone says the Performance model is very low volume. Is it though? Orders were so significant that they have raised the price and pushed deliveries out a month.

The Performance model is cheaper than the LR for people who qualify for the tax credit. I am not so certain this will be a low volume car anymore. It won’t sell like the RWD does but I don’t think they are going to sell significantly more Model 3 LR cars this quarter than Model 3 Performance cars.

Reactions: selby