Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up just turning them on manually so really no big deal, but this is my first Tesla - does it need to be raining sort of hard for the wipers to auto?

The Auto wiper function is very... umm whats a word I want to use here... "sporatic" in its activation. That feature is one of the most frustrating ones in the car, over my 5 years of ownership.

To answer the general question, the auto wipers on a Tesla model 3 or Y do not use the industry standard sensor that basically every other brand uses. They use the front cameras to try to "see" the rain drops, as the CEO thought it would be cheaper and better that way.

There are a "lot" of threads here on auto wipers, sometimes they are better, sometimes they are worse, but they tend to not work very well at all in "misty" conditions since the cameras dont tend to see very small rain drops. Get comfortable with turning on wipers manually and changing speeds manually, would be my recommendation. I do that with voice commands (both turn them on and off, and change speeds).

Can you elaborate on this?
This is what I saw when I connected my car to Canbus for the first time. I don’t think it is right though. However, I did some preliminary testing and this car is incredibly quick even with 75% battery and a warm but not hot battery.

IMG_6769.png

IMG_6749.png

I'm confused. The SA was able to sell you the car sitting in the showroom? How was that even an option?
I have no idea. I simply asked if there were any SG/white or black not assigned. He said they may or may not agree but they said yes. I am supercharging as we speak I'm picking her up Saturday in Pittsburgh Pa.

WARNING! The brakes on the 2024 Model 3 Performance ABSOLUTELY MUST be Bedded in. If you try to stop from high speeds for the first time with the friction brakes they will feel like MUSH and the car will just push through them.

I am not the first person to experience this either. In fact I experienced it with my last car when I took it to the track the first week I got it. The 2024 seemed worse though.

The big issue is that you can’t bed the brakes in properly if you have a lot of regen. You really need to be coasting and applying progressive pressure down to about 30 mph. With regen it won’t really bed the brakes in properly.

I used the S3XY buttons to disable regen and coast into the bedding process. Once they were properly bedded in they felt fine but until then they will not stop you.

Honestly, this was scary as H$LL. Please don’t expect the friction brakes to stop you straight out of the box. They won’t. Please bed them in.

Took delivery today a few hours ago. Found some tiny surface scratches that Tesla was able to buff out before leaving. Noticed some residue probably from the wrapping of the vehicle. Aero caps are making a clicking noise but plan on taking them off. Like knowing what the car is capable of doing performance wise while everyone driving around you have no clue. Still need to look over the car and nitpick for issues before 100 miles. Slight pull to the right but may be due to the road level.
where in FL?

WARNING! The brakes on the 2024 Model 3 Performance ABSOLUTELY MUST be Bedded in. If you try to stop from high speeds for the first time with the friction brakes they will feel like MUSH and the car will just push through them.

I am not the first person to experience this either. In fact I experienced it with my last car when I took it to the track the first week I got it. The 2024 seemed worse though.

The big issue is that you can’t bed the brakes in properly if you have a lot of regen. You really need to be coasting and applying progressive pressure down to about 30 mph. With regen it won’t really bed the brakes in properly.

I used the S3XY buttons to disable regen and coast into the bedding process. Once they were properly bedded in they felt fine but until then they will not stop you.

Honestly, this was scary as H$LL. Please don’t expect the friction brakes to stop you straight out of the box. They won’t. Please bed them in.
Is the burnish brake function not an option?

Finally got my VIN and scheduled pick up on Monday.
One thing I do right away for devices like iPad or iPhone is putting screen protector right after I peel original wrapper. Does M3P have any wrap on the screen or it is usually off and there are technician’s fingerprints already? The size of the screen is the same as regular M3, right?
Now after typing all of it I think I will not bother and install it in a day or two at home.
So I am planning to go over Chris’ checklist during the pickup and hopefully will come home in my first Tesla on Monday.

Reactions: arkhos

I had the same issue with my first m3p. It sure was scary. At high speed the regen does not help either. I remember I had to swerve a little the first time I applied hard brake cause the car just wont stop. I think turning on 'Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited' helped but by not much. I just had to get into a habit of using the physical brake to "break" it in. I don't really remember when it started working properly (at least a couple thousand miles for sure ) but it works well now.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I'm doubting a price drop before initial orders are even delivered. There may be other end of quarter incentives if our deliveries are in the back half of the May/June estimate. Personally, I am hoping FSD transfer is added back as an EOQ incentive before my delivery.
Can happen. At least in NZ it can. Other mgmt foibles seem consistent across the ocean so I don't see why it shouldn't happen there also.

For those of you who can’t use summer tires all year round what is your plan?
Getting another set of wheels with winterish tyres. Difference for.me is the summer stockers will only be on 2k miles at most.

Tentative plan is flip the rims after wearing out the tyres after winter here.

Maybe I will like the all seasons so much I won't be arsed to run around on the 20's no more. Then I should probably take the tyres and sell separately as nobody values a set of stock 20's at even the price of 4 new tyres.

Can happen. At least in NZ it can. Other mgmt foibles seem consistent across the ocean so I don't see why it shouldn't happen there also.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but…you have about 9,421 posts to get caught up on! Welcome to the thread and get reading!!

In all seriousness, welcome and congrats on your future whip!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but…you have about 9,421 posts to get caught up on! Welcome to the thread and get reading!!

In all seriousness, welcome and congrats on your future whip!
Fully aware. The guy asked as you guys are entering summer so a pertinent reply was in order. You have about three different options for buying a car with summer tyres on it in a 4 season zone. I outlined my choice and why it was flexible for me.

Depending on how many miles he did already he might even have the exact same option as I took still available. As you weren't paying attention that was aftermarket wheels and all season tyres ahead of your winter and see how they go. Or he could run down the summer tyres and do it all for the following winter.

He seems like a thinking ahead fellow like myself. Good he has options. Depending on annual milage he could possibly run the summer ones out before the next winter comes along,.so could do the swapping tyres on rims thing a couple of times if that is what he fancies to wear those 3 season ones out and continue on with the all seasons.

No info on local climate beyond summer tyres won't cut it. I am guessing not too harsh of a winter season requiring full on winter tyres.

Mine is MYLR and on the road already going great. Sad we are still losing money hand over fist waiting for snow bunnies to show.

It seemed pretty clear to me what was being said (unless I got it wrong, if so, hopefully @sgtauto will correct me).

To paraphrase what was said, its:

==============================

"Wow, look at all the people in this thread spending additional money on this car to put add ons like Tint and Wraps and stuff on it. From a Financial perspective, a car like this is an expensive toy that no one really needs, we just all want it.

Putting all this additional stuff on there is like an additional punch in the gut, as far as finances go. I am blowing my money like a little kid does on a game system, but at least this game has both a digital and in real life system."

==============================
Apologies for the very confusing rant. Some of you were able to decode it 🤣. I shouldn't try forums ranting on a phone, while working work issues and trying to catch a plane. lol

There was like 3 pages of advise on finance vs lease vs buy and having your money work for you. Followed by many pages of ~3yr old cars taking big depreciation hits on trade in.

Was trying to say., we should be eyes open when buying new shiny depreciation performance teck machine. Althgouth this is a incredible bang for the buck, still totally unnecessary. As we know most all cars take the biggest depreciation hit during the first few yrs. I go in eyes open and expect to take bath and loose a pile money (I prefer the pimp slap by slickback). Financially wise transportation may be a 5 yr old corolla :mad:. Good for my bank acct but not good for my sole. YOLO.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Finally got my VIN and scheduled pick up on Monday.
One thing I do right away for devices like iPad or iPhone is putting screen protector right after I peel original wrapper. Does M3P have any wrap on the screen or it is usually off and there are technician’s fingerprints already? The size of the screen is the same as regular M3, right?
Now after typing all of it I think I will not bother and install it in a day or two at home.
So I am planning to go over Chris’ checklist during the pickup and hopefully will come home in my first Tesla on Monday.
The 2024 models appear to be ,4 inches larger than the previous assuming the place i get my screen protectors from is right.

Apologies for the very confusing rant. Some of you were able to decode it 🤣. I shouldn't try forums ranting on a phone, while working work issues and trying to catch a plane. lol

There was like 3 pages of advise on finance vs lease vs buy and having your money work for you. Followed by many pages of ~3yr old cars taking big depreciation hits on trade in.

Was trying to say., we should be eyes open when buying new shiny depreciation performance teck machine. Althgouth this is a incredible bang for the buck, still totally unnecessary. As we know most all cars take the biggest depreciation hit during the first few yrs. I go in eyes open and expect to take bath and loose a pile money (I prefer the pimp slap by slickback). Financially wise transportation may be a 5 yr old corolla :mad:. Good for my bank acct but not good for my sole. YOLO.
Depends if you are looking for cheap or predictable. Main reason I buy new is that a)I plan to keep long term and b) I want something that can have consistent expected costs. I use cash flow accounting and knowing I won't have any unexpected large liquidity reducing events means I can run with less liquidity than I otherwise would need to.

Does this offset the entire haircut, no, not quite, but if offsets a good chunk of it with the benefit of reliable transportation and the latest cost saving tech which could come pretty close to balancing it out.

This all only applies if you can actually afford new cars though.

Yep, this is why for the first 200 miles or so I’ll keep it easy. Tires and breaks need to be broken in.

Other components? No one knows yet, but I’m playing it safe. Especially with 500hp+

I can survive waiting the week or two once I get it.