Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look very carefully, you can see the wheel size on the pics of the front wheel. I can’t make out the rear but I checked on tirerack and Michelin doesn’t make a 285-35-21 nor a 305-35-21 so I’m just guessing it’s a 295-35-21 rear but Idk for sure.
On the 19s, It’s a Pirelli P-Zero 255-45-R19 (104y)
I meant Michelin doesn’t make the Pilot Sport 4s in 285-35 + 305+35. Since the 4s is made in a 295-35-21, I’m guessing that’s it. Unless Michelin is making a new size for Tesla which could happen.

Reactions: 2virgule5
If you look very carefully, you can see the wheel size on the pics of the front wheel. I can’t make out the rear but I checked on tirerack and Michelin doesn’t make a 285-35-21 nor a 305-35-21 so I’m just guessing it’s a 295-35-21 rear but Idk for sure.
On the 19s, It’s a Pirelli P-Zero 255-45-R19 (104y)
I am impressed. Thank you.

Planned upgrades/mods to my midnight gray LR with arachnid wheels include: Tesla carbon fiber spoiler, XPEL PPF on front and rockers, window tint, Ceramic coat on whole car including wheels (I had my TSWs done last time and it makes keeping them clean sooo much easier!), tint rear lights (presuming they are shipping the old style), removal of front license plate holder, removal of chrome Tesla logo on rear.

Reactions: TNGuy99
As we all are waiting and waiting and waiting ~~~~ for our new S’s, I was wondering what upgrades, add on’s, accessories, etc are you all contemplating now or when they become available. I have my Gen 3 wall charger and usb drive but that’s it.
  • Opticoat-Pro -- I have had great experience with this on my old S (water still beaded after 8 years) and the X. I have thought about PPF, but the price of good PPF seems excessive and a less than perfect job will irritate me each time I look at it
  • Window tint--will have to see that the car is actually like, but something pretty dark for the back and IR-blocking film for the front
  • A chrome delete T for the trunk
  • Probably upgraded floor mats--have to see what the car comes with. Fun fact: on the early Ses, the floor mats were so cheap, they ones in the front footwells would flop over under moderately heavy acceleration
  • Organizer for the trunk

Reactions: TNGuy99
I hope they are not Pirelli P Zero. That is a terrible tire and I've had bad experiences with it. It does not heat up well and when it breaks loose, is without warning.

I had sound canceling in a 2017 GTR but I couldn't notice any difference with it.
Lol fair enough.. the front tire on their site is 100% a P Zero.. the chances are pretty good that’s the tire that will be on cars delivered with 19s. The solution: Arachnids 🍻

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Lol fair enough.. the front tire on their site is 100% a P Zero.. the chances are pretty good that’s the tire that will be on cars delivered with 19s. The solution: Arachnids 🍻
Arachnids absolutely not worth almost 40 miles of range to me (although on some color combos they looks slightly better but that is totally subjective). Cheaper and more efficient to just buy new tires on the 19s.

Arachnids absolutely not worth almost 40 miles of range to me (although on some color combos they looks slightly better but that is totally subjective). Cheaper and more efficient to just buy new tires on the 19s.

☝🏻☝🏻 This will be our 4th Model S. The first 2 we ordered with 21’s and the 3rd with 19’s. Needless to say after driving 50k miles on 19’s we will never go back to 21’s again and our refresh S is on order with 19’s. Had no idea how much better, in every single way other than a little curb appeal, the 19 inch wheels were

I have not driven an S with 19's. I have driven with the 21's and it was just fine. Even my wife thought the ride was just fine with 21's. Going to give it a shot - will probably switch out to A/S immediately for ride comfort and efficiency. If it goes south, we will just get a set of aftermarket 20" with the DWS06+.

@Hayseed_MS a couple of things I will suggest:
  • Be religious about tire pressure--with low-profile 21s, its even more important than usual for ride comfort, surviving potholes, etc
  • Given you live in the "midwest" pick up a set of used 19" from here or somewhere else for snow tires--21" snow tires are obscenely priced, limited in selection, often sold-out and and exactly zero fun to try and get chains on
  • If you go with A/S tires don't get something that is too hard (look at the wear guide number), given the limited sidewalk flex, a really hard tire makes for a harsher ride

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
@omarsultan Thanks. Not sure on the tires since I do not know the new sizes that will be on the refresh version. Went to 22" on last rover and found teh sweet spot on psi to give a good ride, Have a dedicated 20" set for winter but have not used winter tires in two winters. Found that even though the winter tires made it unstoppable, the good A/S I have been worth the loss of hassle to change out.

If I find that I need to switch out or there are issues with the 21's - I will probably go 20" There are great choices at 20" and they are cost efficient.

Reactions: lbowroom
☝🏻☝🏻 This will be our 4th Model S. The first 2 we ordered with 21’s and the 3rd with 19’s. Needless to say after driving 50k miles on 19’s we will never go back to 21’s again and our refresh S is on order with 19’s. Had no idea how much better, in every single way other than a little curb appeal, the 19 inch wheels were
Would it be stupid to get the tempest wheels, remove the ‘aero’ covers, and powder-coat the rims under a darker color? I don’t need the extra range day-to-day & it feels like a darker color would go a LONG way for the curb appeal. Then I could just pop on the covers for road trips when the range is more important.

Seems like the best of both worlds, but also feels like I’m missing something.

Would it be stupid to get the tempest wheels, remove the ‘aero’ covers, and powder-coat the rims under a darker color? I don’t need the extra range day-to-day & it feels like a darker color would go a LONG way for the curb appeal. Then I could just pop on the covers for road trips when the range is more important.

I wonder what the actual rims look like under it. Does anybody have a picture of that? I think you might be on to something with that though

I wonder what the actual rims look like under it. Does anybody have a picture of that? I think you might be on to something with that though
Obviously not for the refresh, but the rims underneath the covers are actually decent for the prior years & the current 3/Y - other than the lighter color.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who takes the covers on/off on a semi-regular basis. I did see a pic of someone’s charging setup where they had the caps hanging on the wall near the wall charger.

@omarsultan Thanks. Not sure on the tires since I do not know the new sizes that will be on the refresh version. Went to 22" on last rover and found teh sweet spot on psi to give a good ride, Have a dedicated 20" set for winter but have not used winter tires in two winters. Found that even though the winter tires made it unstoppable, the good A/S I have been worth the loss of hassle to change out.

If I find that I need to switch out or there are issues with the 21's - I will probably go 20" There are great choices at 20" and they are cost efficient.
Yeah, 20s are a good compromise--that's what we have on the wife's X and that is our Lake Tahoe hauler.

Obviously not for the refresh, but the rims underneath the covers are actually decent for the prior years & the current 3/Y - other than the lighter color.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who takes the covers on/off on a semi-regular basis. I did see a pic of someone’s charging setup where they had the caps hanging on the wall near the wall charger.
I have aeros on my 3 now and love them. I do take them on and off randomly. I never see a huge difference in range

Not stupid at all if that is what you like. Personally, I prefer the looks of 21 over 19 but they need to be the right 19. The silver tempest just look bad. To my life (time and hassle) powder coating is not really worth it over just a new wheel. Plus the OEM 19 tires I do not like either so I would switch those out.