Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
God I hope so. If we get a car in 2 months with all the same specs then we will know something was really wrong lol. But the thing I can't get over is that this guy said deliveries were starting in 2 to 3 weeks in January. It's not like in November they asked him and he said it would probably be around February, he made a statement that deliveries were expected mid to late February that was only a few weeks after that point in time, now for him to say something in such a very short amount of time about a product refresh tells me they thought they were at the end and then something either went really wrong or he called it off.

I mean he's completely wrong about random timelines when he's talking about 6 months in advance or a year in advance things like that, but we were talking literal a couple of weeks when production should have started.

If it were the permits why are they just now at laguna seca/wind tunnels. That's why my money is on a product thing and I think he got wind of some stuff and called it. Otherwise you'd have to think all the testing was done and validation before the announcement.

Extremely odd, even for Tesla.
You can surely bet that Elon did not intend to shut the production line down for so many months. Something surprising has clearly happened along the way that caused a change/delay. They would have kept producing the prior MS/MX had they known ahead of time. Transition time shouldn't exceed one month.

I posted several pictures earlier in this thread of a refresh S at a supercharger. I also saw it parked directly next to another Model S as it was supercharging. All this talk about a noticeable difference in width didn’t exist in real life. I’m not sure where all this speculation started about the wide body appearance.
Even in photos I'm not seeing this "wide body" look.

My skepticism comes from the effort required for new tooling of the fenders and quarter panel sheet metal just to flare them. The side by side photo evidence is far from convincing. I am convinced that the wheels are wider and offset much closer to flush. This change of stance makes the car much sportier and aggressive looking but can be achieved completely with wheel width, offset, and ride height changes. It's the basis of the aftermarket wheel business.
It also says on the website that the refresh is wider. Could be only an inch or two
God I hope so. If we get a car in 2 months with all the same specs then we will know something was really wrong lol. But the thing I can't get over is that this guy said deliveries were starting in 2 to 3 weeks in January. It's not like in November they asked him and he said it would probably be around February, he made a statement that deliveries were expected mid to late February that was only a few weeks after that point in time, now for him to say something in such a very short amount of time about a product refresh tells me they thought they were at the end and then something either went really wrong or he called it off.

I mean he's completely wrong about random timelines when he's talking about 6 months in advance or a year in advance things like that, but we were talking literal a couple of weeks when production should have started.

If it were the permits why are they just now at laguna seca/wind tunnels. That's why my money is on a product thing and I think he got wind of some stuff and called it. Otherwise you'd have to think all the testing was done and validation before the announcement.

Extremely odd, even for Tesla.
Very good points.. The only reason I keep mentioning a potential performance shortfall is due to their silence, 0 videos, and because the performance specs listed on the site in late January were way better than the Laguna plaid they showed off only 4 months earlier..

Sure, but that's not definitive on what part of the car exactly is wider. A wider track front and rear would qualify that statement. Marketing people have a way with words.

The website uses "with a wider body and chassis" but does not define what that means. Wider than last year or just a generally wider body and chassis than other cars in its class.

Reactions: T-Racer
I’m not sure where all this speculation started about the wide body appearance.

It also says on the website that the refresh is wider. Could be only an inch or two
The speculation is based on the text on the Tesla site that says "wider body and chassis" but its unclear wider than what--some folks are interpreting this to mean wider than the prior Model S.

The simple explanation could be that he was misinformed on the refresh and launch dates.
As CEO, I would hope this is not the case.

I think folks might be over-rotating on the Laguna Seca news--I know Tesla goes up their fairly regularly to test things--this might be testing that is not specifically tied to the refreshes (LR and Plaid).

Reactions: elguapo
if Tesla can beat the McLaren at Laguna Seca with the Plaid I will change my order to Plaid. That would be pretty awesome to have a spacious, luxurious EV that has a legitimate claim to being world’s fastest car.

if a Tesla can beat the McLaren at Laguna Seca with FSD...well then i would sell my house and buy it.
2.4 seconds between them. Eons. Or perhaps you were thinking of the Plaid+?

The website uses "with a wider body and chassis" but does not define what that means. Wider than last year or just a generally wider body and chassis than other cars in its class.
This is the brilliance of Elon. Empty marketing which many can seize upon, but no one can hold him or the company accountable - since he's slimier than a slug in a can of WD-40.